Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 May 2002, 16:15 (Ref:282701)   #1
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Time to reunite the KR/NH partnership @ McLaren?

If I understand correctly,, NH is on a 3 year deal with Sauber- 01-3, but long term with McLaren Mercedes. Usually the 3rd year has a lower buy-out clause, so could we see McLaren take up their option and bring in NH for 2003? IMO they would be foolish not to. The guy is obviously developing into one of the best out there. Other teams are becoming interested (Toyota) and if McLaren don't take him soon they will continue to lose ground and lose their prodigy to someone else.

I really can't understand why Dennis and co. have kept Coulthard this long. Williams had enough of him after 1.5 years. I know his fans will say he is improving all the time and is good at development, but so is NH. They were dominating when he was their test driver in 98 and 99. You gotta be fair to DC though, he isn't bad by a long shot, thats not what I'm saying. I just feel a team of NH and KR would be much better for McLaren at this point in time.
Watching NH guided successfully through F3000 by Mclaren, I always felt they should've brought him in immediately alongside MH for 2000 and not bothered with the Prost experience. The MH/DC partnership ran it’s course, brought in two WDC’s and one WCC, but then it got stale and is, in my opinion, one of the reasons why the team haven't kept up their form from the past years and have little by little, slipped backwards. They should also get a better test driver - Pat Symonds described Wurz as a 'grab on and cope' driver in 2000, is he really doing as good a job as Heidfeld and Panis did as testdriver? They should go for another Heidfeld in F3 or something. Bjorn Wirdheim looks good in f3000, why not give him a call. Wurz is a good and has experience, but he’s a racer, not a technical guy.

I know some people will think this won't answer Mclaren's prayers, it won't give the engine more HP, but could it? A talented German in the seat could be more incentive for Mercedes to up the ante, take a look at Ilmor and whats going on. Every team NH has properly driven for (Prost doesn’t count!) has moved forward.

But to come back to the main point - Ron Dennis: sack DC and get NH before its too late.
Old 11 May 2002, 17:22 (Ref:282735)   #2
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree with that also . I really would like to DC do well , but if he misses his chance with Nick , then i think Ron will regret it
Old 12 May 2002, 00:43 (Ref:282968)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Of course Nick deserves to be at McLaren. He should have been there now but Ron, being Ron, was too short-sighted to realise the abundance of talent ol' Nick has However, I am now over the fact he chose Kimi instead of Ron.

Well, at least he SHOULD be there next year, if Ron has any brains that is.
Old 12 May 2002, 01:24 (Ref:282983)   #4
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be honest, I think DC/NH would be better.
I am sorry, but I haven't really taken to Kimi as a driver. being a McLaren fan, I of course support him, but to me, he just isn't as good as Nick could have been. Heidfeld beat Jean Alesi at Prost in 2000, then Kimi Raikkonen in 2001. And yet Kimi is rewarded with a McLaren seat...I think Ron got Kimi partly to keep him away from Ferrari, and partly because of all the hype surrounding him...