Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 31 Mar 2015, 15:04 (Ref:3522293)   #1
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
URGENT REQUEST DUNLOP L 5.5 x 15

Does anyone have 2 new tyres I can either buy for this weekend or arrange for HP to replace direct to you when they have their new stock in place (apparently no more than 2 weeks time). I will be at Thruxton from Friday late morning or we can pick up

Thanks
Old 1 Apr 2015, 18:54 (Ref:3522831)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sadly mine are too big and post historic, although I have no idea of the difference.
, they look like Ls to me. Good luck.
Old 2 Apr 2015, 06:45 (Ref:3522952)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Is that MGB size?
Old 2 Apr 2015, 07:57 (Ref:3522969)   #4
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
not sure about MGB but seemingly it is TVR size.. it would be good to also get some official verdict on the ability to match new L's with old. Is it really true the Portuguese ones dont sit well with the UK ones?
Old 2 Apr 2015, 09:15 (Ref:3522983)   #5
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
not if you try and fit them on the same rims without removing old ones.

I stick to a 1 tyre one rim policy
Old 2 Apr 2015, 12:42 (Ref:3523044)   #6
FISCracer
Racer

Wales
Surrey
FISCracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Is that MGB size?
No Joe. MGBs are 14 inch rims. TVRs and maybe some Morgans are 15s

You had any success Simon?
Old 3 Apr 2015, 09:58 (Ref:3523293)   #7
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've had this issue in the past when trying to purchase 'M's.

Surely its about time different manufacturers were allowed rather than this Dunlop monopoly which obviously keeps prices high as well as the lack of stock problem.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 3 Apr 2015, 11:32 (Ref:3523327)   #8
Stephan123
Rookie

Germany
Cologne
Stephan123 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could be Alfa, I heared that Dunlop is not able to deliver.
Old 3 Apr 2015, 11:37 (Ref:3523328)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Is that MGB size?
No Rover SD1 size.
Old 3 Apr 2015, 19:20 (Ref:3523497)   #10
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They are the size used by us TVR Granny drivers so it is also Triumph TR3 or TR4 size. Sorry but I'm afraid I need mine!
Old 10 Apr 2015, 14:22 (Ref:3525778)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The non availability of Dunlop Ls still appears to be a problem at the moment. Does anyone know whether this is short term or not?
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 10 Apr 2015, 15:10 (Ref:3525790)   #12
simon drabble
Veteran

I presume race organizors will be pragmatic about this and if the lack of tyres continue alllow people to race on M's?
Old 10 Apr 2015, 15:25 (Ref:3525794)   #13
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
The non availability of Dunlop Ls still appears to be a problem at the moment. Does anyone know whether this is short term or not?
Is this still related to the closure of their factory in Birmingham? The Dunlop rally tyres still aren't available and people are grimly hanging on to what they've got left - we're on our last set.
Old 10 Apr 2015, 16:07 (Ref:3525816)   #14
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Is this still related to the closure of their factory in Birmingham? The Dunlop rally tyres still aren't available and people are grimly hanging on to what they've got left - we're on our last set.
I guess so. Production of historic stuff was moved to Portugal, apparantly, and it appears that tyres for the 'new' season are behind schedule.

Hope that it is just due to setting up production in a different facility, and not going to become the norm every spring......
Old 10 Apr 2015, 18:09 (Ref:3525847)   #15
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
it just seems wrong that they are still allowed to hold a monopoly…Its one thing paying over the odds in a captive historic market for tyres made in the UK at Fort Dunlop keeping the tradition alive….But Portuguese made tyres??? Me thinks a switch to other period tyres where the manufacturer can be bothered should be considered by all championship organisers??

Perhaps we should be supporting the manufacturers that keep a base in the UK…Avons perhaps??

N.

Last edited by Heightswitch; 10 Apr 2015 at 18:16.
Old 11 Apr 2015, 01:19 (Ref:3525936)   #16
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Depends on what Avons you are referring to. I confess a degree of ignorance on this but ( running an MGB) those who run Avons are in a different class to those running FIA cars. Avons are much more sticky and, frankly, do not bode well for a class of histerics trying to run on what they would have run on in period.

Most of the cars running on Dunlops are and were designed to move around. If you start putting sticky tyres on it will change the characteristics of the car and the race. One of the most foremost things will be the added burden on the suspension trying to cope with stress loads it was never designed to take
Old 11 Apr 2015, 15:06 (Ref:3526120)   #17
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Avon CR6ZZ…surely. Yes they are a radial but there are equally a period tyre and if all cars are running them then everyone will have the same benefits. They are also the wet tyre choice of many who do race in Fia. so in my view we should be looking at not being so strictly limited to Dunlops?

anyone would think that the Dunlop L or M section was the only cross ply racing tyre ever made!

Perhaps if the organising bodies did look to open up the rules then Dunlop may get their act together…

£1300 for a set of 4 Dunlops is pretty much taking the ****….Pretty sure the outsourcing abroad and the Shedload of Money made from selling Fort Dunlop to Urban Splash should enable any half decent company to make tyres to a crappy period specification and turn a profit.

Its a bizarre state of affairs when we struggle to buy an outdated, old spec grip limited tyre at such a high price.

N.
Old 12 Apr 2015, 07:54 (Ref:3526356)   #18
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isnt it about time dunlop were ditched? Americans have a bit more choice at a far more affordable price.Dunlop being the peetakers they have been for several years-problem when one manufacturer gets complacent.
Old 12 Apr 2015, 12:26 (Ref:3526488)   #19
simes43
Racer

simes43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Isnt it about time dunlop were ditched? Americans have a bit more choice at a far more affordable price.Dunlop being the peetakers they have been for several years-problem when one manufacturer gets complacent.
I would like to see the historic tyre supply contract put up for tender. A hard, durable, classic tread tyre at half the cost must be possible.

Are the Portuguese Dunlops still going to be made by hand?
Old 12 Apr 2015, 16:59 (Ref:3526649)   #20
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Where are the 19 inch Dunlops.

None available this week

Crazy
Old 13 Apr 2015, 11:53 (Ref:3526991)   #21
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've just heard that Ls are now in the country. However, I'd still like to know whether there are some equivalent crossplies as an alternative. Anyone have experience or opinion of Blockleys for example?
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 13 Apr 2015, 12:11 (Ref:3526995)   #22
Geraint Owen
Racer

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
I've just heard that Ls are now in the country. However, I'd still like to know whether there are some equivalent crossplies as an alternative. Anyone have experience or opinion of Blockleys for example?
Blockley make an excellent tyre. I have had great experience with them on several cars (all on 19"). Interestingly they don't suffer from the splitting at the seam that Dunlops do on GP Bugattis. This is helped by the fact that Blockley tyres are marked and there are instructions on which side to fit them etc.

I plan to test some Blockley 16" tyres on the front of my 50s Indy car on Wednesday because the Dunlops R5s are ready either. It was a toss up between trying Blockley or putting on L's

On a wider point, the only snag with allowing in another manufacturer other than Dunlop is that they MAY only want to do the popular size. Sure put it out to tender, but availability of all sizes should be a criteria

Geraint
Old 13 Apr 2015, 14:36 (Ref:3527068)   #23
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Thanks Geraint. Certainly looks like a possibility for an alternative option anyway. I think I have a race for you, by the way.
Old 13 Apr 2015, 19:34 (Ref:3527178)   #24
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Blockleys do not work on Tslbots so we need the Dunlops
Old 14 Apr 2015, 23:53 (Ref:3527528)   #25
FISCracer
Racer

Wales
Surrey
FISCracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If anyone is struggling to get Dunlop Ls in 550L x 14. I have a set of four that only did 15 mins practice and 20 min race in the Les Leston Cup at the 73MM on my MGB. They are British ones and were new in late February. I won't be using them for a while so if you are struggling to get some, PM me.