Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 25 May 2017, 19:55 (Ref:3736021)   #1351
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
We have just two credible LMP3 prototypes ... Ligier and Norma.

It shows ACO needs to be more careful picking up the manufacturers.
Old 26 May 2017, 02:45 (Ref:3736085)   #1352
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't think we can ignore what Ginetta did for the category though, as they flew the flag solo for awhile and got the series exposure and interest from teams before Onroak released their car. But yeah, sadly we currently only have 2 brands worth having and hopefully when the new regs are released (I think 2019?) there will be more interest from other parties.

I expect the regs won't change much though apart from a power increase and wouldn't be surprised if Onroak offer an upgrade package which may sway teams from looking elsewhere.
Old 26 May 2017, 06:44 (Ref:3736103)   #1353
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
The LMP3s need a power hike, especially in classes where they're not the lead class and in multi-class racing. The ACO did it for LMP2 already, but that was when new regs got phased in.

And I don't think we'll see anyone new come into LMP3 as the regs for that class are due for an overhaul and no one will want to develop a car for a customer car class that won't sell in serious numbers when new regs are a couple of years away.
Old 26 May 2017, 10:11 (Ref:3736122)   #1354
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
And I don't think we'll see anyone new come into LMP3 as the regs for that class are due for an overhaul and no one will want to develop a car for a customer car class that won't sell in serious numbers when new regs are a couple of years away.
We won't see anyone new for a while for a much simpler reason: Only five constructors allowed.
Old 26 May 2017, 19:54 (Ref:3736232)   #1355
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I don't think that matters, because in reality only two matter, and those are Ligier and Norma, who are selling race winning cars. The Ginetta might still be homologated, but no one's running it for reasons that are well known here, the Riley isn't selling in Europe, and I don't even know who the 5th maker is.
Old 26 May 2017, 20:03 (Ref:3736235)   #1356
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I don't think that matters, because in reality only two matter, and those are Ligier and Norma, who are selling race winning cars. The Ginetta might still be homologated, but no one's running it for reasons that are well known here, the Riley isn't selling in Europe, and I don't even know who the 5th maker is.
There isn't a strict limit of 5. There was 5 and then Norma was added, bringing it to 6. Dome then dropped out and it was back down to 5.

Ginetta
Ligier
Norma
Ave Riley
Adess
Old 26 May 2017, 21:03 (Ref:3736255)   #1357
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
And still, out of those 5, only Ligier (Onroak) and Norma are relevant as far as race winning cars. 5-6 cars might be allowed, but if two emerge as the best, those are the ones that will sell. The Ginetta might have launched the class, but became obsolescent pretty quickly, the Riley isn't selling, and the Adess was junk out of the box.

No matter how many choices one is given, in a customer car dominated class, the customer will still decide the market.
Old 26 May 2017, 22:32 (Ref:3736265)   #1358
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
There isn't a strict limit of 5. There was 5 and then Norma was added, bringing it to 6. Dome then dropped out and it was back down to 5.

Ginetta
Ligier
Norma
Ave Riley
Adess
There is indeed a strict limit of five: http://sportscar365.com/lemans/elms/...-constructors/

Dome withdrew before Norma was approved.
Old 26 May 2017, 23:06 (Ref:3736268)   #1359
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
And still, out of those 5, only Ligier (Onroak) and Norma are relevant as far as race winning cars. 5-6 cars might be allowed, but if two emerge as the best, those are the ones that will sell. The Ginetta might have launched the class, but became obsolescent pretty quickly, the Riley isn't selling, and the Adess was junk out of the box.

No matter how many choices one is given, in a customer car dominated class, the customer will still decide the market.

I think it's unfair to say the Ginetta wasn't as good, there's been plenty of races to show its speed, the phase out of those cars was more due to sporting politics
Old 27 May 2017, 08:30 (Ref:3736297)   #1360
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
I think it's unfair to say the Ginetta wasn't as good, there's been plenty of races to show its speed, the phase out of those cars was more due to sporting politics
Quality and support was an issue too. The car was fast enough but it had serious build quality problems and a few teams had some very harsh words about the cars publicly.

The Norma was in the design process before Dome pulled out. At one point we did have 6 potential LMP3s. And at one point that limit was also 4. It isn't a hard limit and will move if they want it to.
Old 27 May 2017, 10:16 (Ref:3736311)   #1361
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Quality and support was an issue too. The car was fast enough but it had serious build quality problems and a few teams had some very harsh words about the cars publicly.

The Norma was in the design process before Dome pulled out. At one point we did have 6 potential LMP3s. And at one point that limit was also 4. It isn't a hard limit and will move if they want it to.

Fair point, my thought was more about the Ginettas outright pace which as you say was good. Shame the reliability wasn't high enough.

Honestly I'd like to see another solid manufacturer

I discount Riley for now, maybe they got lost building the P2 and forgot about the P3.

Adess have been pretty average only managing success in less competitive series

It'd be good to have 4 realistic level pegged manufacturers
Old 29 May 2017, 20:43 (Ref:3737227)   #1362
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Yes indeed. Definitely want in stuck to the tarmac.

That splitter looks like a wing! If he does go off, he may be able to glide back to the starting line
More details of the Romain Dumas Norma MXX RD Limited.
http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/rom...-a-pikes-peak/
Old 6 Jun 2017, 22:07 (Ref:3739114)   #1363
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Pescarolo LM-04 for V de V, Sprint Serie, 24H Proto Creventic and a new Pescarolo Cup.
https://fr.motorsport.com/endurance/...urance-915022/
Old 6 Jun 2017, 22:32 (Ref:3739117)   #1364
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
New Pescarolo LM-04 for V de V, Sprint Serie, 24H Proto Creventic and a new Pescarolo Cup.
Well that kind of came out of nowhere. I wonder if they had interest in doing a P3 car but we're locked out of the market?
Old 7 Jun 2017, 03:44 (Ref:3739142)   #1365
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seriously it is time to add a few more manufacturers to the eligible list. Ginetta, Adess and Riley are pretty much useless at this point.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 04:35 (Ref:3739144)   #1366
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentley speed 8 View Post
Seriously it is time to add a few more manufacturers to the eligible list. Ginetta, Adess and Riley are pretty much useless at this point.
Or maybe open to allow all manufacturer wanting to enter, and allow other engines as well, like the old LMP2.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 08:18 (Ref:3739181)   #1367
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Or maybe open to allow all manufacturer wanting to enter, and allow other engines as well, like the old LMP2.
Riley has amazing powers it has an invisible cloaking device
Old 7 Jun 2017, 09:33 (Ref:3739194)   #1368
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Pleasant surprise, sharp looking car, and I'll just bet they can drop that Oreca-Nissan engine in the back the instant a manufacturer withdraws from LMP3(no mention was made of whether or not it's built to the LMP3 tub specifications that I could find reading the Google Translated version of the article, though).

I hope to see more manufacturers follow suit with this idea. Ginetta showed off a REALLY good idea for a track day car when they dropped the LS3 into the LMP3 to make the G57.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 11:16 (Ref:3739210)   #1369
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Good to see Pescarolo Sport getting active again.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 14:09 (Ref:3739268)   #1370
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Pleasant surprise, sharp looking car, and I'll just bet they can drop that Oreca-Nissan engine in the back the instant a manufacturer withdraws from LMP3(no mention was made of whether or not it's built to the LMP3 tub specifications that I could find reading the Google Translated version of the article, though).

I hope to see more manufacturers follow suit with this idea. Ginetta showed off a REALLY good idea for a track day car when they dropped the LS3 into the LMP3 to make the G57.
I couldn't tell about the tub either it said it was carbon but it didn't say if it also had the same steel roll cage that the p3s have
Old 7 Jun 2017, 19:08 (Ref:3739330)   #1371
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I couldn't tell about the tub either it said it was carbon but it didn't say if it also had the same steel roll cage that the p3s have
Based on the look of the car I'd almost bet money that if it DOESN'T use the LMP3-spec tub they could build a version that does in about a week if a spot opened up in LMP3.
Old 8 Jun 2017, 03:54 (Ref:3739388)   #1372
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
New upgraded for the Wolf GB08 MJ-V8 of the JFC Racing for the next 25 Hours of Thunderhill.

https://scontent.faep3-1.fna.fbcdn.n...5a&oe=59E5D9F8
https://scontent.faep3-1.fna.fbcdn.n...41&oe=59DBC2AA
https://scontent.faep3-1.fna.fbcdn.n...c5&oe=59AEB91F

The Team said:
The first time on track with the new upgraded Palatov Motorsport, LLC parts for the MJ-V8. Miles Jackson shook the car down and said it has the best grip he has ever felt from the car with this big of a change to the suspension and drive components. 15" Jongbloed Racing Inc. wheels and the new Avon's have put some new life back into the grip and feel of the car. Back out for some more testing next Friday. Focus is on the NASA 25 Hours of Thunderhill. We are not afraid of any R8's, SR3's, M20's, G57's, DP's or Tornados. We just need to work on sound, so we can turn the JFC-V8 loose and let the RPM's sing.
Old 8 Jun 2017, 04:10 (Ref:3739390)   #1373
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
New upgraded for the Wolf GB08 MJ-V8 of the JFC Racing for the next 25 Hours of Thunderhill.

https://scontent.faep3-1.fna.fbcdn.n...5a&oe=59E5D9F8
https://scontent.faep3-1.fna.fbcdn.n...41&oe=59DBC2AA
https://scontent.faep3-1.fna.fbcdn.n...c5&oe=59AEB91F

The Team said:
The first time on track with the new upgraded Palatov Motorsport, LLC parts for the MJ-V8. Miles Jackson shook the car down and said it has the best grip he has ever felt from the car with this big of a change to the suspension and drive components. 15" Jongbloed Racing Inc. wheels and the new Avon's have put some new life back into the grip and feel of the car. Back out for some more testing next Friday. Focus is on the NASA 25 Hours of Thunderhill. We are not afraid of any R8's, SR3's, M20's, G57's, DP's or Tornados. We just need to work on sound, so we can turn the JFC-V8 loose and let the RPM's sing.
Thing looks like it should be running Pikes Peak.
Old 8 Jun 2017, 10:02 (Ref:3739441)   #1374
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
After reading the motorsports.com story(https://www.motorsport.com/endurance...series-915215/) and taking a day to absorb and think about things... I'm 100% certain the new Pescarolo is basically meant to be a Ginetta G57 competitor that's ready to drop in the Oreca-Nissan engine to take a spot on LMP3 once a current constructor drops out. The only thing that will convince me otherwise is reliable verification that the car is NOT using a P3-spec safety cell.

Why have I come to this conclusion? Three reasons...

1: The alleged one-make championship. One-make championships are a tough sell, as Caterham(SP/300.R) and Renault have both discovered in recent years. It seems strange that a newly-revived Pescarolo would try their hand on something even Renault couldn't manage. Best off just letting it run in VdeV, 24H Proto, and GT & Prototype Challenge(let's not fool ourselves, anything legal in either the GT/LMP3/PFV or Prototype VdeV championships it WILL be allowed in the GT & Prototype Challenge series) and as a track car wherever else it's legal.

2: The choice of engine. The LS3 V8 is a great choice for a project like this - big power delivered reliably. That's why Ginetta chose it for the G57, after all. But it's a bit of a strange choice for a car that...

3: ...is, according to the company, supposed to be targeted as being "in between CN and LMP3."

Sooo.... You're using the engine that heavily contributed to making the Ginetta G57 as fast as an LMP2 car, to make a car that's supposed to slip "in between" two classes that alternate between which is faster based on what track they're on, and which are rarely more than 2 seconds apart regardless?

There is no "in between" to be had with LMP3 and CN. LMP3 is supposed to be the next step up from CN, and it's only that aforementioned pace swapping that muddies the waters on that matter. Sounds to me like they're actually trying to say "this is meant for P3, but we can't get in yet" without actually saying it.

And to be frank... I hope it works out for them. I hope other manufacturers jump on this bandwagon as well and force the ACO's hand on the shortcomings of both LMP3 AND LMP2.

Doesn't hurt that the rendering is the sharpest prototype design I've seen in a long time, either.

This project may be heading towards some interesting drama, though; According to the motorsport.com article, Henri Pescarolo is NOT involved with this project and is not supportive of the use of his name for it.

Last edited by FormulaFox; 8 Jun 2017 at 10:07.
Old 8 Jun 2017, 15:59 (Ref:3739491)   #1375
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post

There is no "in between" to be had with LMP3 and CN. LMP3 is supposed to be the next step up from CN,
Says who? There is no hierarchy.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”