Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 23 May 2018, 09:24 (Ref:3824159)   #1176
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
John, what is the reason to call "push bike" a Vauxhall now?
Old 23 May 2018, 10:27 (Ref:3824170)   #1177
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
John, what is the reason to call "push bike" a Vauxhall now?
Campagnola front and rear changers, Mafac centre pull brakes Fiamm rims on Campag hubs, Farrell frame 23/1/2", Cinelli stem. Christophe long length toe clips, Detto Pietro shoes, Pirelli tubs, and off to Snetterton we would go, 90 miles there, and back the same day.

I rode a lightwheight velocipede, and never, ever a 'push bike' those were for the local scuffer.

Bauble ex-Edgware R C, LCCA, BCF.and Carl Perkins fan club.
Old 23 May 2018, 10:55 (Ref:3824175)   #1178
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Bauble ex-Edgware R C, LCCA, BCF.and Carl Perkins fan club.

Where did you go rowing in Edgware? I don't recall many, if any, rivers there.
Old 23 May 2018, 11:01 (Ref:3824177)   #1179
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I’ve been asked to post this pic taken at Zolder this morning, as our intrepid tenthers get ready to depart for Charade in the FF2000 promotional vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
7C406425-6393-492C-BBDA-2DDB7132895C.jpeg  
Old 23 May 2018, 11:10 (Ref:3824180)   #1180
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Where did you go rowing in Edgware? I don't recall many, if any, rivers there.
Mike the extent of your ignorance about Edgware rivers is quite shocking. Why! The very name gives a clue 'Edge' 'Ware', meaning do not fall in, we were always rowing in Edgware - never could agree on anything. Our neighbouring club, Harp RC was named for the famed Harp Reservoir, a good place for rowing, about who stood where to fish.

Do you know that Graham Hill (double F1 World Champion) wore his RC club colours on his helmet?

Do try and keep up, there's a good chap.

Best of all wishes,

Bawb.
Old 23 May 2018, 11:13 (Ref:3824182)   #1181
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I’ve been asked to post this pic taken at Zolder this morning, as our intrepid tenthers get ready to depart for Charade in the FF2000 promotional vehicle.

So the track "walk" at Charade will be a ride?
Old 23 May 2018, 13:21 (Ref:3824205)   #1182
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Next leg completed . Me and Alan going to take in the local scenery and some beers . Mike has next picture to post .
Old 23 May 2018, 13:23 (Ref:3824206)   #1183
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry now at Villegusien Le Lac . Not too far from Dijon
Old 23 May 2018, 14:01 (Ref:3824211)   #1184
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Sorry now at Villegusien Le Lac . Not too far from Dijon

50 km from Dijon apparently.

It's a Commune! They've gone all Hippy?

Anyway, the day is still young so I assume the beers are merely part of a siesta break before onward travel this evening?

If not it's beginning to sound suspiciously like a holiday .....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villegusien-le-Lac
Old 23 May 2018, 14:08 (Ref:3824214)   #1185
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
50 km from Dijon apparently.

It's a Commune! They've gone all Hippy?

Anyway, the day is still young so I assume the beers are merely part of a siesta break before onward travel this evening?

If not it's beginning to sound suspiciously like a holiday ....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villegusien-le-Lac
Don't get too excited - 'Commune' is a fairly normal term for a village here.
Old 23 May 2018, 15:13 (Ref:3824221)   #1186
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
We have just done 25 K bike ride glorious weather and countryside Back at bar having beers .
Old 23 May 2018, 15:26 (Ref:3824226)   #1187
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Very few people would like to ride from Lyon to Clermont Ferrand. You can't imagine how many hills they have put on this dangerous road.
Even for the bravest carrot powered riders!
Old 23 May 2018, 15:31 (Ref:3824228)   #1188
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Do you know that Graham Hill (double F1 World Champion) wore his RC club colours on his helmet?
You mean London Rowing Club may be, Boobool?
Old 23 May 2018, 15:57 (Ref:3824234)   #1189
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

He gets easily confused at his age, the poor fella'!
Old 23 May 2018, 16:25 (Ref:3824239)   #1190
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Don't get too excited - 'Commune' is a fairly normal term for a village here.

Shh. Yes, I know.
Old 23 May 2018, 17:27 (Ref:3824254)   #1191
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Next leg completed . Me and Alan going to take in the local scenery and some beers . Mike has next picture to post .
And here it is .....
Attached Thumbnails
24C232FE-7DAA-4B54-A7F4-917B9401A40D.jpeg  
Old 23 May 2018, 18:22 (Ref:3824270)   #1192
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Veggie Carrots may be closer than appear in the mirror…

Are they preparing a Supertoinette cocktail, the famous carrot juice based aperitif? With a full van, is that what you call "loaded"?
OK, at least we found a way to carry Boobool's canoë! C'on Bob, prepare your CampagnolA oars!
Old 23 May 2018, 18:39 (Ref:3824275)   #1193
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Gerrie, did I say different? It's Meekie causing confusion with his usual disregard for common sense
Old 23 May 2018, 18:52 (Ref:3824277)   #1194
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Gerrie, did I say different? It's Meekie causing confusion with his usual disregard for common sense

Having another look to MB picture, came up to my mind a french proverb you must know (your French is good). It says something like: when your fella exiting a pub tries to grab the steering wheel from the right side of the van, then yes, he's done!
Old 23 May 2018, 23:44 (Ref:3824318)   #1195
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Had occasion on Tuesday to venture down into Kernowland.....to deliver a car to Par, twixt Fowey and St Austell......

Its like a foreign country down there......almost empty roads, very very few potholes, roads generally as smooth as the proverbial baby's bum

Only down side was the fuel prices.......despite mentioning being a friend of Iain Rowley I couldn't get a discount......but A30 prices, whilst 7p or so higher than my NW local prices per litre didn't compare to the £1.44.9 I was charged at Taunton Deane on the M5.....needless to say that was a 10 litre splash and dash!
Old 24 May 2018, 04:30 (Ref:3824326)   #1196
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Yes Lanky I did notice fuel prices are some what higher at home last time we were there . Sorry about that . We stopped in Luxembourg yesterday and diesel was 110 Euro a Litre.
Old 24 May 2018, 05:04 (Ref:3824329)   #1197
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Yes Lanky I did notice fuel prices are some what higher at home last time we were there . Sorry about that . We stopped in Luxembourg yesterday and diesel was 110 Euro a Litre.
Fuel prices here used to vary depending on how far the area was from the source (refinery, I presume), but no idea if that is still the case. Seems the term ‘captive audience’ is a factor, especially at motorway service areas!

Belgium on Monday was circa €1.50 per litre on E roads, France up to or over €1.60 recently on Autoroutes, Italy more. Even Spain was knocking on €1.20!

My local JS in town is now £1.29, which is 10 pence more than during the winter. Not a problem when cycling or in a BEV, but unfortunately I’m using the van quite a lot at the moment....
Old 24 May 2018, 06:57 (Ref:3824349)   #1198
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What's the fuel usage like on your truck Mike? While travelling to some tracks I can get 17mpg which I don't reckon is bad. Sure adds to the costs when the price has risen so much, so quickly!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 24 May 2018, 07:01 (Ref:3824351)   #1199
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
If I am careful I can get 12 to gallon fromDelta truck .
Old 24 May 2018, 08:43 (Ref:3824362)   #1200
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
My rig same as most loaded semis, 8.5 to 9.5 depending on terrain. Only thing in our favour when on the mainland is the euro exchange rate- if that went the other way it would be big problem....