Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Feb 2022, 13:09 (Ref:4100227)   #2951
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
finally f1 takes note of the fact that some countries should not be acceptable places to hold races.
Old 25 Feb 2022, 13:17 (Ref:4100230)   #2952
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
finally f1 takes note of the fact that some countries should not be acceptable places to hold races.
Or the usual FIA noticing the cheques would not clear written on Bank of Putin
Old 25 Feb 2022, 13:24 (Ref:4100234)   #2953
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What a mess. Glad it's not being held but it's a very small piece to the whole puzzle.
Old 25 Feb 2022, 13:26 (Ref:4100235)   #2954
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
What a mess. Glad it's not being held but it's a very small piece to the whole puzzle.
Hey, this is the internet. How dare you bring reason in this room
Old 25 Feb 2022, 13:34 (Ref:4100237)   #2955
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
The FIA have clarified it is cancelled and they will not be returning it to the 2022 calendar.
Do you have a link to the clarification?

I'm not suggesting it doesn't exist, just that I haven't seen it yet. The latest news on the FIA official site is a statement, that includes the line - 'it is impossible to hold the Russian Grand Prix in the current circumstances' - which I think is what Bella was referring to.
Old 25 Feb 2022, 13:39 (Ref:4100240)   #2956
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Do you have a link to the clarification?

I'm not suggesting it doesn't exist, just that I haven't seen it yet. The latest news on the FIA official site is a statement, that includes the line - 'it is impossible to hold the Russian Grand Prix in the current circumstances' - which I think is what Bella was referring to.
A tweet from Racer reported Chris Medland was all I saw, he claims more information to be added today but was told it is done, current circumstances is not because today is x, tomorrow could be Y.

UEFA also pulled the Champions League final so expect the GP is DONE, FINISHED and gone. Remember it is FULLY funded by money that is now frozen or inaccessible by EU/UK/US based companies
Old 25 Feb 2022, 18:01 (Ref:4100275)   #2957
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, indeed, it has not been officially 'cancelled' per se, but it is something other than 'postponed', a word which hints at a future date. This, meanwhile, admonishes events and refuses to even discuss a future date for now. It is a case of not accepting it could be imaginable at any point in the future, given the turn of events. Of course, the situation is fluid, but the event is plainly off for the foreseeable future.
Old 25 Feb 2022, 22:44 (Ref:4100304)   #2958
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the reason they aren't "cancelling" it is because it's a contractual term that has significant implications - there will be penalties and forfeits for the side that cancels due to the other that cascade through the event supply chain from promoter to f1 downwards. there's implications for fans who have bought tickets - note the event promoter quite rightly says that nothing is decided for now so don't seek a refund. wait to see how it all unravels. for f1 to use the term even if they do a secret handshake with the russian gp promoters to say they don't mean it would be contractually extremely unwise. and yes, everything has to be as per contract when there's a significant amount of money at play for all involved. that's why they exist, so everyone knows where they stand.

which is essentially what f1 are saying, but they've said it in a way that appeases the torch waving pitchfork brigade on twitter. it's disappointing to note how many of the media misread and misinterpreted the statement. as things stand, the event won't go ahead. but if the past two years have taught us anything it's that things don't stand still for long.

for all we know they might have slain the big bad wolf in 2 weeks time. weirder things have happened.
Old 1 Mar 2022, 08:51 (Ref:4100710)   #2959
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Indeed I understand how it was not in some people's interests to cancel it per se. That's a good point you make about those implications. As we're increasingly seeing, though, this Russia situation is more than a brief diplomatic hiccup. Assuming Putin wins his war on Ukraine, I, for one, and one of many, would be extremely dismayed, in fact, find it abhorrent and reprehensible to go back there. Unless 'we race as one' means the evil and the bigots and the non-evil and non-bigots must all race together.
Old 1 Mar 2022, 09:03 (Ref:4100713)   #2960
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is no chance that any international sport will go back there while ever Putin is in power.Russia have been kicked out of the World Cup and the IOC is pushing for all Russian teams and sportspeople to be banned from everything.
This is unprecedented and Western governments and institutions are making the Hitler parallel.Breaking contracts with Russia won’t be an issue.
Old 1 Mar 2022, 13:47 (Ref:4100744)   #2961
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
The EU and friends are not playing around. They regard Putin as a direct, very real threat to their security. That the SPD/Green/FDP government in Germany just announced a massive increase in defense spending says it all.

Part of the West's response is to massively tighten the screws on Russia. There’s no way Formula 1 will be back in Russia as long as Putin is still in power.
Old 1 Mar 2022, 20:44 (Ref:4100792)   #2962
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
FIA announcement.

https://www.fia.com/news/fia-announc...uation-ukraine

Russian/Belarusian drivers, individual competitors and officials to participate in international/zone competitions only in their neutral capacity and under the “FIA flag”, subject to specific commitment and adherence to the FIA’s principles of peace and political neutrality, until further notice

the rest is as you could expect, no races there, no teams there etc. until further notice.

i suppose i would have liked to see it go further. not against the athletes and officials themselves but to set a date of exclusion for events even if this conflict is settled soon. say you will ban any race there for 5 years or whatever not 'until further notice'.

that it still leaves open a return to the race this year (or thats how im reading this at least - maybe im wrong) is problematic for me.

please no need to remind me that this is not how contracts work. had enough with hearing things like this is just how the world works.
Old 1 Mar 2022, 20:59 (Ref:4100793)   #2963
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the main difference from existing rules as a result of the russian doping thing is just a change of neutral flag/removal of the RAF thing.

so nothing really that affects f1. i suspect it's the kind of thing that's going to fall under the series promoters remit anyway.
Old 1 Mar 2022, 22:56 (Ref:4100817)   #2964
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post

i suppose i would have liked to see it go further. not against the athletes and officials themselves but to set a date of exclusion for events even if this conflict is settled soon. say you will ban any race there for 5 years or whatever not 'until further notice'.

that it still leaves open a return to the race this year (or thats how im reading this at least - maybe im wrong) is problematic for me.
from the same article, ....

Quote:
FIA International Sporting Calendar

Upon proposal of the F1 Commercial Rights Holder, cancellation of the 2022 Russian F1 Grand Prix for reason of Force Majeure.
Is this the first official use of the word cancellation?
Pervious the wording the I'd seen put the Russian GP on indefinite delay, carefully worded to specifically avoid the contractural nightmare of who is cancelling and why.
Old 1 Mar 2022, 23:55 (Ref:4100821)   #2965
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Given that Mazepin’s father is a close Putin crony how is it possible he will be allowed to compete?
Old 2 Mar 2022, 07:40 (Ref:4100833)   #2966
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The use of Force Majeure is interesting because normally, such a clause will identify the circumstances that qualify. What it means is that the parties are relieved from their obligations for the period that the circumstances prevail. Then there is a limit on the amount of time that has to pass before the contract is rescinded/terminated. Would be interesting to see the clause but that won't happen.
Old 2 Mar 2022, 07:48 (Ref:4100835)   #2967
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Removing the flag and national anthem is an utterly pointless, meaniningless and empty reation. ROC team at the olympics was huge, and won loads of medals - the lack of a flag is no penalty at all.

Come on FIA - look at what other sports have said and done, and read the room.
Old 3 Mar 2022, 11:21 (Ref:4101017)   #2968
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Formula 1 has terminated its contract with the Russian Grand Prix.

'The decision means F1 will not race in Russia for the foreseeable future - effectively, at least for as long as Putin remains in power.

"Formula 1 can confirm it has terminated its contract with the Russian Grand Prix promoter meaning Russia will not have a race in the future," it said in a statement.'
Old 3 Mar 2022, 12:15 (Ref:4101031)   #2969
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Absolutely no loss, F1 can’t be seen to be entertaining Russia in any way after the atrocities, plus of lesser importance, the circuit was absolutely dire, one of the worst.
Old 3 Mar 2022, 12:36 (Ref:4101041)   #2970
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Good riddance.

That statement in the link was cuttingly brief.
Old 3 Mar 2022, 13:04 (Ref:4101046)   #2971
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Formula 1 has terminated its contract with the Russian Grand Prix.

'The decision means F1 will not race in Russia for the foreseeable future - effectively, at least for as long as Putin remains in power.

"Formula 1 can confirm it has terminated its contract with the Russian Grand Prix promoter meaning Russia will not have a race in the future," it said in a statement.'

Excellent news.
Old 3 Mar 2022, 13:33 (Ref:4101051)   #2972
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I just wish that the world and the FIA would react in the same way when it comes to Saudi Arabia, and the other countries that are supporting it, for the atrocities they are perpetrating in Yemen.

Unfortunately, whilst those countries are spending vast fortunes on military equipment manufactured by the Western powers, I see little chance of that.
Old 3 Mar 2022, 13:50 (Ref:4101055)   #2973
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Yes, Mike, much of the world finds it easier to condemn a country that it wants nothing from.
Old 3 Mar 2022, 13:56 (Ref:4101056)   #2974
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Yes, Mike, much of the world finds it easier to condemn a country that it wants nothing from.

Plenty of European countries want Russia's gas.
Old 3 Mar 2022, 15:22 (Ref:4101080)   #2975
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Plenty of European countries want Russia's gas.

That's true, BJ, but at a price. However, Russia, or perhaps I should say Putin, has been screwing Europe over the cost for some little time.