Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 May 2016, 01:53 (Ref:3638644)   #176
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's no way it would have been the sole reason as print media all over the world is dying out, but it would have to be a contributing factor or another nail in the coffin.
Old 5 May 2016, 02:05 (Ref:3638645)   #177
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
There's no way it would have been the sole reason as print media all over the world is dying out, but it would have to be a contributing factor or another nail in the coffin.
AA's decline began well before Foxtel signed up the rights. Not a factor.
Old 5 May 2016, 02:17 (Ref:3638646)   #178
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
It would not have to be. AA sales have been dropping for many years, including during the period V8s were broadcast on FTA. AA type products have become available in vastly greater numbers for free electronically in recent years.
Old 5 May 2016, 02:22 (Ref:3638648)   #179
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
surely we can discuss this over in the auto action thread.

That aside Motorsport News closed back before the fox contract, the trent was well on the way

plus there is no evidence of overall lost viewers under the fox deal so that's an even sillier argument
Old 5 May 2016, 03:19 (Ref:3638663)   #180
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Out now...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 5 May 2016, 05:08 (Ref:3638670)   #181
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What ever will you read on the throne now, GTRMagic??
Old 5 May 2016, 05:11 (Ref:3638671)   #182
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
What ever will you read on the throne now, GTRMagic??
A tablet or phone like everyone else.
Old 5 May 2016, 05:42 (Ref:3638676)   #183
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
A tablet or phone like everyone else.
I previously read AA that way anyway...
Old 5 May 2016, 06:42 (Ref:3638686)   #184
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad, but probably inevitable. While it had its critics it was by and large a good read. Up until 15 years ago it was pretty much the main source of information for motorsport fans. A visit to the newsagent to buy a copy on a Thursday was part of my weekly routine for many years.

Best of luck to all of the staff during this difficult time and thanks for your efforts.
Old 6 May 2016, 04:15 (Ref:3639035)   #185
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah it is a shame. I purchased the mag religiously from 1997 to around 2011 and it was always a good read whilst having lunch at work.

I also had a few letters published and even got letter of the week one issue !

After that I just relied on the internet for any news and then last year with V8s and F1 moving to pay TV I gave up motorsport completely.
Old 6 May 2016, 04:34 (Ref:3639037)   #186
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
I see that fairfax is considering ending its weekday age and SMH as well as its weekend Fin review

I would guess that we should blame this on the v8 to foxtel deal.

Its seems to be the reason some people are blaming the demise of auto action.

As is illogical now as it was then
Old 7 May 2016, 10:49 (Ref:3639391)   #187
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read Speedcafe religiously, probably upwards of 20 page checks a day.

The lack of detailed technical journalism out there on V8SC is disappointing. I mean proper technical articles like you would find in Racecar Engineering magazine.

Get into the details of how the wheelnuts are designed and made, how they choose material for the driveshafts, how they life components and maintain accurate inventories, what welding method is used on the cages, the differences in geometries between T8/Walkinshaw/Erebus/Nismo front ends etc etc etc. Get right into the nitty gritty with super HD photos of the internal (non-proprietary) workings of the cars. Cutaways of the engines, details of how Polestar/Cyan developed the C90 donk etc. Over the years some segments on V8Xtra looked at these areas but they really just skimmed the surface and the technicalities were dumbed down for a general audience.

All you get on Speedcafe/Motorsport.com/Fox/SMH/V8SC etc is regurgitated garbage about how Courtney and HRT are going to have a great year (and of course fail to do so). For someone wanting to follow the series closely from afar (living overseas), the light media coverage makes it difficult.
Old 10 May 2016, 03:49 (Ref:3640537)   #188
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post

The lack of detailed technical journalism out there on V8SC is disappointing. I mean proper technical articles like you would find in Racecar Engineering magazine.

Get into the details of how the wheelnuts are designed and made, how they choose material for the driveshafts, how they life components and maintain accurate inventories, what welding method is used on the cages, the differences in geometries between T8/Walkinshaw/Erebus/Nismo front ends etc etc etc. Get right into the nitty gritty with super HD photos of the internal (non-proprietary) workings of the cars. Cutaways of the engines, details of how Polestar/Cyan developed the C90 donk etc. Over the years some segments on V8Xtra looked at these areas but they really just skimmed the surface and the technicalities were dumbed down for a general audience.

All you get on Speedcafe/Motorsport.com/Fox/SMH/V8SC etc is regurgitated garbage about how Courtney and HRT are going to have a great year (and of course fail to do so). For someone wanting to follow the series closely from afar (living overseas), the light media coverage makes it difficult.
The lack of any form of in depth journalism in this country is cause for despair. Other than a few overseas titles there is nothing in the way of technical content or even in depth content relating to motorsport. The fundamental problem is people would rather read press releases for free than buy a magazine with the hope of finding something more in depth. The days of old where the likes of Bill Tuckey had the scope and the skill to provide articles and books of the highest quality are long gone.
Old 10 May 2016, 03:57 (Ref:3640538)   #189
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I remember the comparison tests in Motor magazine by the late Barry Lake... they were the reason the magazine was worth buying in those days.

Detail focused, impressions from a comparative sense, and usually giving you some kind of feel for what it would be like to drive, and possibly own.

Depth, synthesizing data with context into information, presented well.

And actually driving the same 3 or 4 cars on the same roads at the same time so you get to the end of the comparison and see a real winner.

Not like now.. when every published webpage seems to have an award, and a Hyundai (who is said to have a very generous loan car fleet) seems to top them out a lot... do they actually drive all the cars in the class? Doubtful.

Now what do we get? Top Gear-style advertorials telling us how the pilots get an itchy nose when the cars are at 298 km/h up some backroad somewhere...

The only constant is change, but it doesn't mean we have to always like it..
Old 11 May 2016, 01:30 (Ref:3640746)   #190
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Journalistc prowess has been taken to with a sharp knife today in NZ with news that NZME and Fairfax are looking at a merger. Already, the NZ Herald is largely in a tail spin, and now the NZME "thought process" will stuff up stuff.co.nz.

More old hats will be hung up as the new breed take over and turn Twitter and Snapchat into "stories". Journalism, under it's proper guise, really is on life support at ICU
Old 11 May 2016, 02:03 (Ref:3640751)   #191
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
More old hats will be hung up as the new breed take over and turn Twitter and Snapchat into "stories". Journalism, under it's proper guise, really is on life support at ICU
Meanwhile they'll show Taboola ads about a weight loss miracle and bemoan the fact that people don't want to pay for quality journalism...
Old 11 May 2016, 03:39 (Ref:3640772)   #192
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
Why they are lucky to put more than a couple of articles up on any day.
Old 11 May 2016, 05:09 (Ref:3640779)   #193
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
Why they are lucky to put more than a couple of articles up on any day.
6 today, 6 yesterday, 6 monday 15 on sunday
Old 13 May 2016, 15:32 (Ref:3641378)   #194
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try "motorsport.com". It covers the world.
Old 25 May 2016, 08:56 (Ref:3644268)   #195
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One lonely copy of the final Auto Action left on the rack at our local newagency, amongst the thousand and one magazines on old Ford's, hot Torana's, Fast Fours and the various picture magazines for Doof Doof car drivers( the ones that wear their trousers at half mast)!
Old 28 May 2016, 07:31 (Ref:3645011)   #196
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
From Mr Lambden's FB share...

Old 28 May 2016, 07:42 (Ref:3645013)   #197
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good news.The fortnightly Motorsport News was the last Australian motor sport magazine that hit the mark.Hopefully Phil's presence will mean that it will be of that standard rather than AA's.
Old 28 May 2016, 11:58 (Ref:3645063)   #198
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
This sounds promising especially if Brannigan's involved. Interested to see how the relaunched mag turns out.
Old 30 May 2016, 00:59 (Ref:3645699)   #199
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Good news.The fortnightly Motorsport News was the last Australian motor sport magazine that hit the mark.Hopefully Phil's presence will mean that it will be of that standard rather than AA's.
Motorsport News was always a good publication - I say that even though I do not like Joe Saward's "journalism". The biggest problem with MNews over here in the west was it would turn up on the newsagent shelves the week after it was published over east. So you could read a preview of a race that had already been run.... something to do with air freight being too expensive. Fix that and get some good in depth articles and it should work.
Old 30 May 2016, 01:35 (Ref:3645704)   #200
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
James Warburton grew up reading Auto Action, who knew? Almost reads like a pre fabricated quote from the V8SC pr department.

Article Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
Running V8s has also helped Warburton to relate to his father, for whom V8s was a great passion: “I went to Bathurst with him for many, many years from when I was five. Doing this job makes me feel close to him.”