Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 May 2018, 16:09 (Ref:3822127)   #51
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Having watched the coverage on Quest, I just wondered if we ever had a wet historic event before, as I don’t seem to remember any
Old 13 May 2018, 18:32 (Ref:3822142)   #52
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Having watched the coverage on Quest, I just wondered if we ever had a wet historic event before, as I don’t seem to remember any
Not necessarily 100% wet but but many have had wet periods - dramatically so in 2012 when I was there with Iain and co.

Has there ever been a 100% dry event would be another interesting question.
Old 13 May 2018, 18:52 (Ref:3822151)   #53
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Iain made a fantastic start, very agressive. I think it was later judged as jump start because he made a drive through. Brilliant racing in spite of rather modest power. What I can't say is if he hitted the barrier after the finish line of before. Anyway he is classified. Seems that at least 3 wheels of the car are in bad shape together with an oil leak after the accident.
Thank you Gerrard . We must say hello or Ca Va one of these days . I saw you briefly as we were trying to get the car back to the truck . Me and my friend Paul havecjust lookedconbyou tube and there is no way I jumped the start .
Old 13 May 2018, 21:39 (Ref:3822205)   #54
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Thank you Gerrard . We must say hello or Ca Va one of these days . I saw you briefly as we were trying to get the car back to the truck . Me and my friend Paul havecjust lookedconbyou tube and there is no way I jumped the start .
https://www.goodwood.com/grrc/race/h...ce-highlights/

Agreed.

Unless the video sync with the light is way way out that was a fine start. If you jumped them than so did everyone else.

So that put you out of position and hence the later crash.

The Pre 61s, however, looked like the entire field jumped the start....

Given the amount that was, apparently, paid out for the dropped McLaren of a couple of years ago I think there should be a claim made.

Last edited by grantp; 13 May 2018 at 21:48.
Old 13 May 2018, 21:53 (Ref:3822208)   #55
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad you are OK Iain, so many emotions in one race.
You certainly got a serious amount of air time!
Old 14 May 2018, 05:13 (Ref:3822263)   #56
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Grant as to having a wet track at Monaco, it can makes things rather complicated for some amateurs. Not everyone has a separated box, "assistance" stuff is often stocked in Fontvieille parkings or other areas. If you join the grid and the rain starts you need really good legs to go and get a spare wheels set…
About the grid you mentioned, I'd say around one fourth of this grid made a jump start! Between dangerous and ridiculous. I think they gave only two drive through (one Lotus and the Scarab may be?).When a driver sitting on the front row jumps on the brakes when many other are flying away it can be dangerous imo.
Old 14 May 2018, 06:07 (Ref:3822266)   #57
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
We're talking about the big dogs of the front rows. Mind you that the grid is designed in a loooong right hand blind curve. There are several lights to relay the starter ones. Easy to imagine that the last qualified standing around 400 meters behind the pole start "with the noise" and not with the light. Imagine those complete nuts arriving flat out faster than the front row! To discover a total mess with a pile of wrecked smoking cars (remember Daly Airlines?). Many jump on the brakes, some others try to escape and some pray… at Sainte Dévote church!
Old 17 May 2018, 16:45 (Ref:3823058)   #58
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimao View Post
Yes Mike paddocks are open to ticket holders Saturday and Sunday and even other days, entrance behind the long building by the Harbour, I always suggest to have K places by the swimming pools so you can enjoy the large screen and close to the paddock. So far weather is fine
Thanks for information on paddocks - I thought an additional pass would be needed and visited after seeing your post.(also, I was in stand K1, following your good advice four years ago!)

A great event, marred only by Ian's accident and the monsoon on Sunday
afternoon. Photos attached:
Attached Thumbnails
M1.jpg   M2.jpg   M3.jpg  

M4.jpg   M5.jpg   M6.jpg  

Old 17 May 2018, 16:47 (Ref:3823060)   #59
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Photos 2:
Attached Thumbnails
M7.jpg   M8.jpg   M9.jpg  

M10.jpg   M11.jpg   M12.jpg  

Old 18 May 2018, 05:06 (Ref:3823159)   #60
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thank you for the photos Malcombe . Sorry I missed you when you came by .
Old 3 Oct 2018, 14:26 (Ref:3854298)   #61
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Just had a long chat from a spectator who was watching from the swimming pool where I crashed.As confirmed from video footage he says the OSF wheel was pointing towards the barrier long before I crashed.
Does not help but I am pleased to know now that it was not driver error.
Anyway time to move on.