Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 29 Jun 2004, 08:22 (Ref:1019795)   #1
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ed Jowsey's Snetterton Lola Fire

So what's the story about this?
Attached Images

Old 29 Jun 2004, 08:38 (Ref:1019803)   #2
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I'd like to know . . it was on the trailer severely charred when we arrived on Saturday afternoon . . . .I cant believe it was allowed to burn that badly ? ? ?

I hope the driver was long gone by the time the seat melted !!!

it was still there when we left on Sunday late afternoon
Old 29 Jun 2004, 08:43 (Ref:1019807)   #3
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was told it set fire on friday during testing on the revitt straight where there were hardly any marshalls could have been alot worse me thinks a lucky chap !
Old 29 Jun 2004, 08:50 (Ref:1019814)   #4
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd heard the various "tales" such as him driving it as far away from the marshalls as he could then telling them to "pi** off" when they arrived cos they'd taken too long but I don't know if there's any truth in all that though so I wondered if anybody had actually seen the incident
Old 29 Jun 2004, 10:44 (Ref:1019885)   #5
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It did happen during testing on Friday. The fact that it was testing and down the straight meant that there would have been very few (if any) marshals on the straight. I wasn't there but if I had gone to help and he told me to **** off I would not have been happy and if that did happen I hope the marshal in question reported it to the clerk of the course. I know that he did have to have a new pair of boots as his old pair got burnt! he blamed his new boots for his movement on the startline on Saturday and the fact they were a bit big for him!
Old 29 Jun 2004, 12:43 (Ref:1020058)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
ha ha . . . .nice post Claire
Old 29 Jun 2004, 13:00 (Ref:1020083)   #7
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Paul's earlier post makes me wonder if they are perhaps a bit too small for him?!!!
Old 29 Jun 2004, 13:26 (Ref:1020115)   #8
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
remember I don't know whether any of it was fact or just a story that had grown over the weekend..I'd love to hear what the marshall/s that finally reached him had to say about the incident
Old 30 Jun 2004, 12:39 (Ref:1021383)   #9
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
'Put that fag out' ?

or maybe

'biofuel my a**e' ?
Old 1 Jul 2004, 09:36 (Ref:1022221)   #10
Bishop Ranter
Racer

United Kingdom
Whittlebury
Bishop Ranter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well as one who has suffered several fires in racecars I can only say that I have been very grateful to all the marshals who have assisted me in the past...all three infernos happened in France (2 laps at the Le Mans Classic with a small cockpit fire, using a handheld fire extinguisher is an interesting experience). The last fire, at a hillclimb, was put out by the marshal using an old style extinguisher when my modern spec one failed to go off! Crucially I have always driven the cars concerned to areas where the marshals can assist but without compromising their safety. Maybe Edwin was doing the same, although testing usually means fewer marshals on hand to help drivers. Whatever happened (and I don't know the details) the crucial thing is no one was hurt. Cars can be rebuilt.

As to the start of the second FJ race I witnessed the jump start from a row back. Yes it happened but he did roll back, and for a nano-second I was almost alongside. Didn't last mind!

Last edited by Bishop Ranter; 1 Jul 2004 at 09:38.
Old 1 Jul 2004, 13:22 (Ref:1022518)   #11
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I noticed a car at Snet with a bit of masking tape over the extinguisher button . . .and written on it was '£300'

I think a hand held in the car is a good idea (I know peter does this) and I think I should do this myself, could save a load more money and a lot of mess !
Old 1 Jul 2004, 13:32 (Ref:1022532)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've got the two. The hand held is really to comply with German regs. But it does serve as a good back up or even instead of when you are in a stationary position.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 12:42 (Ref:1028017)   #13
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to know what actually happened, if Ed did give the marshalls some abuse, its way out of order, he should remember that if they didn't give up their time for free, he would have nowhere to race. I say IF because nobody is actually sure what happened.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 13:09 (Ref:1028047)   #14
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marshals not paid on test days mcurtis26??
Old 6 Jul 2004, 14:52 (Ref:1028134)   #15
mcurtis26
Veteran

I assumed marshalls are not paid on the fridays of meetings, as this was the friday practice for the HSCC meeting at Snett, rather than standard mid week testing?
Old 6 Jul 2004, 22:41 (Ref:1028620)   #16
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
General testing at Snetty is generally Friday's, some Thursdays and Saturdays as well.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 23:35 (Ref:1028675)   #17
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kids 'eh. Should be seen and not heard.
Old 7 Jul 2004, 09:56 (Ref:1028976)   #18
mcurtis26
Veteran

I assumed the friday formed part of the HSCC meeting, rather than an open test day.