Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 23 May 2006, 08:01 (Ref:1616869)   #1
MickAU
Racer

MickAU has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Blocking rule + tyres + merger

Just watched the Monterrey race and gotta say I don't like the blocking rule.

I saw the Houston race last weekend and thought I'd live with it, but if you have a situation where a racing driver (in this case Junqueira) consciously thinks he's blocked, then willingly gives up a position and THEN gets penalised - it's a joke!

A driver is paid to fight on track not be gentlemanly!! It was as though Junqueira was in peak hour traffic - "after you old chap" when he let PT (?) through.

There seems to be such a fine line too, it comes down to interpretation. Under the way it was presented, Legge deserved the penalty, but I wouldn't have called that a block per se (and you can't tell me Ryan Briscoe wouldn't have done a better job!!)

The tyres with the red and black sidewalls I really like. It gives another element to watching the race on TV knowing what compound the drivers are using. It would be great if the producers could introduce a better way of knowing when someone is on the Push to Pass, like A1GP for example.

The TV coverage we are getting here in Oz is ok. The young Atlantic guy backing up Jeremy Shaw is very good; but would still like the live American commentary with the crosses to the pits etc.

I hope they drop a 'bombshell' at Indy this wknd as predicted. I would love to see the Champ Car chassis' retained as the chassis for the class and as for engine, if Honda are willing to throw their weight behind it, then go for it, it would, however, bring into question the future of Cosworth unless Red Bull were to buy them out.
Old 23 May 2006, 10:42 (Ref:1616985)   #2
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree.

The theory is well, interesting however in practice its appalling as it very hard to be consistent.

Defensive driving is entertaining from my perspective and is an important part of racing.
Old 23 May 2006, 12:50 (Ref:1617115)   #3
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did you see the post race interview with Bruno? He looked dejected, and maybe out right depressed. So many things have gone wrong for him, from hero to zero.

And I don`t expect any announcements this weekend.
Old 23 May 2006, 15:14 (Ref:1617186)   #4
Michael Edick
Racer

United States
Pine Grove, CA
Michael Edick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blocking is easier to hide on a street circuit, because there's no room to pass anyway!!! I used to be a big fan of street races, but nowadays all the tracks are just so Mickey Mouse...can you say "San Jose"??

At least in Mexico, it's a wide open track, with multiple passing areas, and I agree that they're paid to fight it out for position...what ever happened to being "wide"? I know they want passing to make it a better show (or not become F1? ) but let the drivers duke it out, not just roll over and play dead!

and there's no way in heck that TG will announce a reunification this weekend...it would steal away too much thunder from the race...unless he wants to boost ticket sales for next year...hmmm...
Old 24 May 2006, 00:27 (Ref:1617537)   #5
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The blocking rule is a joke. I would much rather see a guy have to earn a pass over someone, rather than have it gifted to him.

I think weaving should be illegal, but surely the driver should have the right to make one defensive move.

If you ask me the best years in Champ Car for racing (that I've seen) were the mid to late '90s - no rubbish blocking rule back then!
Old 25 May 2006, 01:38 (Ref:1618331)   #6
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickAU
Just watched the Monterrey race and gotta say I don't like the blocking rule.

I saw the Houston race last weekend and thought I'd live with it, but if you have a situation where a racing driver (in this case Junqueira) consciously thinks he's blocked, then willingly gives up a position and THEN gets penalised - it's a joke!

A driver is paid to fight on track not be gentlemanly!! It was as though Junqueira was in peak hour traffic - "after you old chap" when he let PT (?) through.

There seems to be such a fine line too, it comes down to interpretation. Under the way it was presented, Legge deserved the penalty, but I wouldn't have called that a block per se (and you can't tell me Ryan Briscoe wouldn't have done a better job!!)

The tyres with the red and black sidewalls I really like. It gives another element to watching the race on TV knowing what compound the drivers are using. It would be great if the producers could introduce a better way of knowing when someone is on the Push to Pass, like A1GP for example.

The TV coverage we are getting here in Oz is ok. The young Atlantic guy backing up Jeremy Shaw is very good; but would still like the live American commentary with the crosses to the pits etc.

I hope they drop a 'bombshell' at Indy this wknd as predicted. I would love to see the Champ Car chassis' retained as the chassis for the class and as for engine, if Honda are willing to throw their weight behind it, then go for it, it would, however, bring into question the future of Cosworth unless Red Bull were to buy them out.
I agree the blocking move is over the top. in my opinion it's over done that you can't even defend your postion. You have to stay straight, defending is an art which is confused as blocking. They should have the rule in F1 which is you can move once. But it is pretty laxed.

Yeah the international feed, James Hinchcliff, the atlantic driver who posts on another forum is a good commentater in my opinion. He's not doing bad at all..And he actually works well with Jermey Shaw.

As for a merger, I can hope, but I don't know at all what to think anymore....