Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 23 Oct 2009, 20:23 (Ref:2568263)   #16
Verv
Rookie

Australia
Australia
Verv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Andy, You are completely correct about the Corona you now seem to own. I managed the team that built these two chassis for Toyota New Zealand. The team was called Team Tasman. Dave Cook designed the cars and built some of the components in the UK. He and one of his mechanics, I think his name was Graham Green, flew to NZ to help run them. I dealt with Barry Barnes as I did want to buy the car. I am trying to get a photo of one of the cars from '95/96 for a web site. Can you help? Email me if I can help with anything else.
Cheers,
David Vervaart.
Old 24 Oct 2009, 07:52 (Ref:2568475)   #17
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verv View Post
Hi Andy, You are completely correct about the Corona you now seem to own. I managed the team that built these two chassis for Toyota New Zealand. The team was called Team Tasman. Dave Cook designed the cars and built some of the components in the UK. He and one of his mechanics, I think his name was Graham Green, flew to NZ to help run them. I dealt with Barry Barnes as I did want to buy the car. I am trying to get a photo of one of the cars from '95/96 for a web site. Can you help? Email me if I can help with anything else.
Cheers,
David Vervaart.
Hi David, Thanks for the post.

I have been in touch with Bruce Miles (Team Owner), Jason Hobbs (mechanic) and Greg Brinck (Driver of sister car) and they are all convinced that the car is one of the Toyota Castrol Team "works" cars driven by Julian Bailey. Jason has identified specific things on the cage that were unique. I don't have any photos of the cars early career, indeed I would love to find some myself, particularly in Castrol livery as I might try to recreate that.

The earliest photo I have seen is the one on Post #5 of this thread: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...ghlight=carina and thats a picture from when the car ran in the UKs National Saloon Car Cup in 1997.

If you have any details of the cars results or background then I'd be grateful if you would share them with me. I understand that some magazine article were done in NZ when the cars were first built but I have not been able to find out any more.

I must admit that I love the car. It drives fantastically well and feels like a "proper" race car! Its a far quicker car than I can drive it!

I tried to get Julian Bailey interested in a test drive of the car for a magazine article but it appears he has not been well according to a recent article in "Motorsport" magazine in the UK.
Old 24 Oct 2009, 07:54 (Ref:2568476)   #18
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He had a stroke but is ok now. (According to his Mother)
Old 24 Oct 2009, 07:57 (Ref:2568478)   #19
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
DCRS obviously did some ST work on Carinas, see this link: http://www.supertouringregister.com/...ehicle/157.php

I have also found a Toyota Camry from the South African Touring Car series for sale here: http://www.touringcartrophy.com/occasions.htm
Scroll about 3/4 the way down to see a yellow Camry for sale. Not sure if its a DCRS car, though. I believe that South Africa had to divisions in its Touring Car Seroies, A for pukka Super Tourers and B for cars in a slightly lower spec - 15 or 16 inch wheels, H pattern gear boxes etc. The yellow car in the advert sems to be a Class B car. I would love to get hold of that spare engine and Gemini gearbox!
Old 17 Dec 2009, 04:55 (Ref:2601143)   #20
Verv
Rookie

Australia
Australia
Hi Andy, Mark Baker did the PR for the team in NZ. He may be able to help with some more info. He also did a poster which is hanging on my wall for the team. He may have the artwork from this that will give you some images. his details are
Mark Baker
Director
Veritas Communications Limited
12 Kale Place
Papakura
Telephone 09 2968636/Mobile 021 2120607
mark baker [mark.baker@ihug.co.nz]

Hope this helps. Remember if you want to sell the car please contact me first.

Cheers, David Vervaart.
Old 17 Dec 2009, 07:20 (Ref:2601183)   #21
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
David

Many thanks for the information, I'll get in touch with Mark. I managed to get a small piece in Autosport Magazine after I debuted the car at Silverstone earlier this year. Have a look here, on the RHS of the page, entitled "Toyota Tourer Back on Track": http://www.classicsportscarclub.co.u...mans_Smith.pdf

Do you have any info on the cars original engine and gearbox specification? The car has a rebuilt 3S-GE engine in it on Motec engine management and Throttle Bodies and gives 210 Bhp on standard cams (as mandated by the National Saloon Car Cup regs in the UK). It has a standard gearbox from a Carina/ Corona Gti. I know that the South African Camrys had a Gemini close ratio dog box & engines of about 270 Bhp (CR of about 13:1) but Gemini are out of business & performance upgrades for the engine will have to wait a while!

Andy
Old 17 Dec 2009, 09:03 (Ref:2601228)   #22
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I have also found a Toyota Camry from the South African Touring Car series for sale here: http://www.touringcartrophy.com/occasions.htm
Scroll about 3/4 the way down to see a yellow Camry for sale. Not sure if its a DCRS car, though. I believe that South Africa had to divisions in its Touring Car Seroies, A for pukka Super Tourers and B for cars in a slightly lower spec - 15 or 16 inch wheels, H pattern gear boxes etc. The yellow car in the advert sems to be a Class B car. I would love to get hold of that spare engine and Gemini gearbox!
I don't know the South African regs, but recall there was definitely a Class B for lower-spec cars (Got a vague memory that highlights used to turn up on Eurosport or similar from time to time) The yellow Camry definitely looks like a Class B job
http://www.touringcartrophy.com/anci...ota_camry3.jpg

Toyota South Africa did have a pair (at least) of 'full-on' Supertouring Camrys though- the car you mentioned a while back,
http://www.supertouringregister.com/...ehicle/157.php
and they were definitely DCRS. Think the other car usually carried 'Castrol' colours similar to the 1994-season TOM'S BTCC Carinas at one point

Last edited by KA; 17 Dec 2009 at 09:09.
Old 18 Dec 2009, 07:25 (Ref:2601772)   #23
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
The Yellow Camry has just been sold and was definately a SA Class B car, but it wasn't one of the ones built by DCRS. I spoke to the owner, as I was hoping to have some of the spares. The SA Class B cars had several common components to save money, eg they all had a Gemini CR 5 Speed H pattern 'box but they don't seem to be available easily any more - Gemini was taken over by Riccardo.

Back to my car, details are emerging all the time as people get in touch with me - Mark Baker tell me that my Carina originally had a twin caliper set up (described as a Dave Cook signature of the time & a source of much wrangling with BMW, who didn't like it!) but this has been replaced by a conventional AP brake set up, presumably for the National Saloon Car Cup. Shame.
Old 10 Feb 2010, 10:49 (Ref:2630538)   #24
e21jason
Rookie

Northern Ireland
Dubai
e21jason should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I Just bought a car of Dave Cook he still around but the company is wound down

Jason
Old 10 Feb 2010, 11:03 (Ref:2630545)   #25
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Do you have any contact details? I'd be grateful for a PM.
Old 17 Feb 2010, 20:14 (Ref:2635177)   #26
discovery
Rookie

discovery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DAVE COOK RACING SERVICES

Hi guys !
I was just looking through this forum and came upon this thread about the Toyota Camrys.
Ok ! well i was responsible for all the body prep and painting on most of Cooks race cars , and spent many happy hours preparing the two Toyota`s which were shipped out to South Africa , and one of the Toyota`s eventually ended up at Bathurst .
if anyone has any photo`s i would love to see them
Of the two cars , one was painted in Castrol colours and the other in Blue.
Old 17 Feb 2010, 20:20 (Ref:2635183)   #27
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
This is a link to the blue Camry:
http://www.supertouringregister.com/...ehicle/157.php

The picture you see as my avatar on the left is my DCRS designed Carina/ Corona, although it was built in NZ, I think, & I believe that DC went out to NZ to supervise the build and engineer the cars.
Old 31 Dec 2010, 05:01 (Ref:2809613)   #28
Verv
Rookie

Australia
Australia
Hi Andy, More than 12 months since last looking at this thread. Yes the Corona's had twin 4 piston calipers when they were first built. This was an AP system called the Balance Brake System. On the Saturday of their first event Ford protested after MANZ, the NZ ASN, had approved them. However at the stewards hearing we were thrown out. It seems the scrutineers were Judges of Fact and we couldn't appeal their decision, even though they had been approved. A simple single 4 piston caliper was then fitted.
One of the Camrys that Dave Cook built in the UK to Super Touring regs and raced in the South African Championship did end up in Australia and was run at Bathurst and other races by Mike Quinn of Pheonix Motor Sport.
Interestingly Dave Cook and Graham Green also helped me when I ran a Honda Super Tourer at Bathurst in 1997, once again with Julian Bailey driving with Warren Luff.
I'd like to contact Dave Cook if anybody could PM me with his contact details.
Keep in touch and let me know how you're going with the Corona.
Cheers, David Vervaart.
Old 5 Jan 2011, 08:58 (Ref:2811392)   #29
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Hi Dave, Thanks for the brake info - and the other info, too - pity that the car doesn't have the twin caliper set up now! It has single AP 4 pots.

I have had a problematic year with the car unfortunately - it goes through (standard) gearboxes like nothing on earth (seems to break 5th gear selector - which then jams up other things - when single seater drivers share the car with me!!) and the front brakes have had an alarming tendency to disappear with no warning leaving me with just rears.

I have now blocked off 5th gear (not really needed in the UK) but I did spend a long time trying to find alternative Toyota gearboxes to no real avail. I was assuming that someone would have done a CR competition gear kit as the 'box is shared with the FWD Celica & the mid engined MR2 but it seems not, unless I go doen the very expensive route of adapting the very heavy 4WD box from a Celica GT4. I am hoping that the brake problems are now sorted after a caliper re-build (we changed everything else!) & the engine is having a refresh.

Regards

Andy
Old 5 Jan 2011, 09:41 (Ref:2811412)   #30
Verv
Rookie

Australia
Australia
Hi Andy, As far as I can recall, the gearbox we used was the standard Corona unit, which as you mentioned is basically the same one used in the MR2. We were allowed to homologate two ratios which we picked some from the Toyota parts list. We also had selector problems which were caused by using the selector cables which didn't like rough changes. Julian initially had some difficulty with this, but once we established the problem he was able to drive it accordingly. You can't drive it like a true competition box, always use the clutch and don't beat the syncro's. Also it's very important to adjust the selector on a regular basis.
Toyota chose the 3S-GE as the engine to use. This was a crate engine supplied out of Japan and from the MR2. We were able to get about 220hp from the slightly modified engine.
As far as the brakes, if you are still using the AP calipers then I'm sure a reputable AP tech can fix this problem.
Cheers, David.