Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 Jul 2019, 20:44 (Ref:3919731)   #276
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another brilliant day.The enduro legends at the end were brilliant

Anyone know the amount of damage to the Peugoet 908 involved in crash with Collard.

Felt a bit sorry for the 911 in Sportscars.1st driver I thibk pretty much gave up.
Old 28 Jul 2019, 05:02 (Ref:3919784)   #277
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Well, it’s not particularly nice weather to wake up to this morning. Been drizzle / light rain all night and breezy.....

National paddock already started to empty as some racers left after they’d finished yesterday, so by the time we need to move out later this afternoon it should be even quieter.

No idea whether it’s going to dry up or not, but according to Beeb the bad stuff is sitting over the midlands all day. And to think on Thursday some folk were literally suffering from heat stroke! Still, the Spa 24 hours is currently red flagged due to the heavy rain there, so as is usually the case, someone is worse off than you......
Old 28 Jul 2019, 05:49 (Ref:3919786)   #278
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes I'm optimistic but ready to be disappointed by the weather today.

Had a couple of Tesla trips yesterday. The S is very comfortable. The bIgger one with the trick doors also comfy.
Old 28 Jul 2019, 05:51 (Ref:3919787)   #279
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
It’s probaly me but I’m convinced something is missing from this meeting . Ah it’s proably because I have stopped drinking . . We are all very disappointed you have not been over to introduce yourself Will . On a positive note we did have best Marshall BBQ .Thanks to everyone who came and helped . Cracking evening . 😀
Old 28 Jul 2019, 06:00 (Ref:3919788)   #280
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes I think the same and I haven't stopped drinking. Not the usual atmosphere. Glad the bbq went well.
Old 28 Jul 2019, 06:09 (Ref:3919790)   #281
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah sorry Iain.Had a look yesterday but its not the easiest.Friday night I was rewdy to collape due to tiredness ��.Pretty lame excuse I know.��

Good luck in GT race all.Weather should be OK.

Last edited by Willmaz223; 28 Jul 2019 at 06:15.
Old 28 Jul 2019, 07:11 (Ref:3919795)   #282
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cheesed off with the weather now. Have full waterproofs on again. Can only take so many shots of spray.
Hoping it dries up for the racing.
Old 28 Jul 2019, 07:22 (Ref:3919798)   #283
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Heading up in a few minutes but BBC weather suggests you have dressed appropriately .., more spray photos will feature for both of us !
Old 28 Jul 2019, 07:58 (Ref:3919800)   #284
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Yes I think the same and I haven't stopped drinking. Not the usual atmosphere. Glad the bbq went well.
We thought the same last year, too much track time lost to non racing, demo's etc. The racing then becomes under pressure to fit in. Chuck in a few safety cars and frustration levels increase for racers and spectators.
We have attended for many years but chose to miss this year.
Instead we will go to the Historic GP at Zandvoort.
We can enjoy the track for the final time before the bulldozers come in to make it fit to host the Dutch GP.

Hope the racing goes well today for all at Silverstone.
Old 28 Jul 2019, 08:56 (Ref:3919809)   #285
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Absolutely gutted I'm not there today, yesterday was stunning. Ended up taking a mate from work and his wife, first time they ever been to the classic and they never stopped smiling from the drive in to the drive out! They couldn't believe how open and relaxed the whole event is from walking in and out of the garages to the fun fair on the green, they loved it and said they going to camp the whole weekend next year.

Hope the weather isn't going to be as bad as predicted for today, so for those there enjoy 👍👍
Old 28 Jul 2019, 09:44 (Ref:3919827)   #286
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Enjoyed it - more so than before. Good vibe in the old paddock and our shared garage, helped by sensible paddock marshalling. Bentley/pre-war race was great fun - good racing and commendably few “issues” given the speed differentials involved. Thumbs up
Old 28 Jul 2019, 12:47 (Ref:3919900)   #287
Willmaz223
Veteran

Very frustrating HTC race.R32 was lovely for 4 laps.

Just about to watch the GT race with 3 tenthers at least in.
Old 28 Jul 2019, 13:09 (Ref:3919906)   #288
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Who is Iain sharing with? MiniMM says T Ingram, is that the touring car driver?

It must be dry, Alex reckons his feet drying out
Old 28 Jul 2019, 14:11 (Ref:3919952)   #289
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Who is Iain sharing with? MiniMM says T Ingram, is that the touring car driver?

It must be dry, Alex reckons his feet drying out
Iain was sharing with Robert Ingram as far as I know.
Old 28 Jul 2019, 14:12 (Ref:3919953)   #290
Willmaz223
Veteran

What a lovely GT race that was.Loved the 72 black Cobra.

Think Julian Thomas changing to a cobra has been quite good.
Old 28 Jul 2019, 14:15 (Ref:3919961)   #291
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Have just got home after my first ever visit to The Classic and first visit to Sillystone for over 20 years.
Due to the weather yesterday we didn't arrive at the circuit until late morning. I was highly impressed by all of the infield club stands (not that we took time to look at them in detail) and despite the weather, the atmosphere seemed good.
Our first port of call was seeing people & vehicles in the old (National?) pit garages, then catching a bus over to The Wing to do the same.
The National garages seemed pretty chokka but everyone seemed to be getting along well and not getting in each others way.
As an ex (& long time ago) Mini racer was blown away with almost 60 of the things in the wing and more interesting Touring Cars behind. The only spectating we did was to watch the Mini race from the viewing platform by the start of the Wing, then the Tourers on the big screen behind the Wing as 'live' viewing didn't show much. This was a great race with I'm pleased to say good driving standards (although we did lose a bit of interest when our mate spun & crashed out in the early laps.
We returned this morning purely to watch the Touring Cars (from the banking inside Copse) which was again a great grid, and a good race with good standards of driving.
We made our way back to the car after that (stopping & chatting to folks we knew) directly after that.
Unfortunately, bad preparation on our part meant that we weren't dressed for the weather (even in Britain I didn't expect it to get that much colder in just 2 - 3 days!).
I had a great weekend with good friends, seeing & chatting to a numberof other friends I'd not seen for a while, plus I really enjoyed the atmosphere & racing was just sorry that I didn't get to see my friends from here who I vae yet to meet (but I did look out for you).
I am certainly hoping to return once more to this next year.
Old 28 Jul 2019, 15:26 (Ref:3920037)   #292
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Have just got home after my first ever visit to The Classic and first visit to Sillystone for over 20 years.
Due to the weather yesterday we didn't arrive at the circuit until late morning. I was highly impressed by all of the infield club stands (not that we took time to look at them in detail) and despite the weather, the atmosphere seemed good.
Our first port of call was seeing people & vehicles in the old (National?) pit garages, then catching a bus over to The Wing to do the same.
The National garages seemed pretty chokka but everyone seemed to be getting along well and not getting in each others way.
As an ex (& long time ago) Mini racer was blown away with almost 60 of the things in the wing and more interesting Touring Cars behind. The only spectating we did was to watch the Mini race from the viewing platform by the start of the Wing, then the Tourers on the big screen behind the Wing as 'live' viewing didn't show much. This was a great race with I'm pleased to say good driving standards (although we did lose a bit of interest when our mate spun & crashed out in the early laps.
We returned this morning purely to watch the Touring Cars (from the banking inside Copse) which was again a great grid, and a good race with good standards of driving.
We made our way back to the car after that (stopping & chatting to folks we knew) directly after that.
Unfortunately, bad preparation on our part meant that we weren't dressed for the weather (even in Britain I didn't expect it to get that much colder in just 2 - 3 days!).
I had a great weekend with good friends, seeing & chatting to a numberof other friends I'd not seen for a while, plus I really enjoyed the atmosphere & racing was just sorry that I didn't get to see my friends from here who I vae yet to meet (but I did look out for you).
I am certainly hoping to return once more to this next year.

Well stocked with hot pies no doubt.
Old 28 Jul 2019, 17:56 (Ref:3920078)   #293
Willmaz223
Veteran

What an unbeliveable weekend for me.

Highlights
-Enduro Legends Race 1 at dusk.Best sight along with Grp C at Le Mans.
-Pre War-Another cracking race.
-Listening to see the 1512 Ferrari.One of the best sounding cars I've ever heard.Sublime.

Did try and find you Iain but you'd just go into your F3 car.

Every race was brilliant apart from SC.Weather was good.

Best of all being able to share my thoughts of it all on here.

Will.
Old 28 Jul 2019, 18:13 (Ref:3920079)   #294
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, rain largely held off but usual Silverstone breeze and cold after earlier in the week.

Spend the two days pretty much all snapping cars including Messrs Rowley and Mallett among others but didn’t get to speak to them. I think I need one of them fancy electric scooters !

Good racing with very full grids. A couple of cases where there was a driver well slower than the rest of the field - Porsche 911 Saturday evening, although the second driver seemed much quicker.

The results of my labours will be posted over the next few days. Even managed to find a couple of new to me spots for photos.

One disappointment - at Luffield for the final two races - Le Mans cars and mInis - hardly anyone watching on the terrace or in the grandstands. Do people really pay to just go and sit with their car club displays or were they all watching somewhere else ?
Old 28 Jul 2019, 18:38 (Ref:3920082)   #295
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
Well, rain largely held off but usual Silverstone breeze and cold after earlier in the week.
Given that 2 days ago the in-house temperature was at the edge of acceptability and even salad seemed terribly warm, this evening we opted for something with gravy to have the effect of "comfort food".

Spending some time in the kitchen meant I avoided raiding the cold weather clothes drawers for a jumper - but only just.

I realised that my fingers were cold enough that the water coming out of the cold tap, direct from the mains supply, felt warm and did not cool down no matter how long I ran it.

Still, the one hot day of 2019 will probably supplant the several weeks of hot days of 1976 (and a few other years) in the annals of post-modern social history.

On a positive angle the amount of rain we have had in the past 48 hours probably mean I won't have to water the pots on the patio (or at least these that survive being waterlogged) for a couple of weeks. Longer if the advanced forecasts turn out to be anywhere near correct.
Old 28 Jul 2019, 18:52 (Ref:3920083)   #296
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post

Spend the two days pretty much all snapping cars including Messrs Rowley and Mallett among others but didn’t get to speak to them. I think I need one of them fancy electric scooters !

Good racing with very full grids. A couple of cases where there was a driver well slower than the rest of the field - Porsche 911 Saturday evening, although the second driver seemed much quicker.

The results of my labours will be posted over the next few days. Even managed to find a couple of new to me spots for photos.

One disappointment - at Luffield for the final two races - Le Mans cars and mInis - hardly anyone watching on the terrace or in the grandstands. Do people really pay to just go and sit with their car club displays or were they all watching somewhere else ?
Most go home before the end for whatever reason.Like to know how much the Bentley was getting pushed.Very cautious around others understandably.
Old 28 Jul 2019, 19:35 (Ref:3920087)   #297
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having tried all the grandstands last year, I believe Luffield/Woodcote are far away the best for viewing. It's the only place at the circuit you are half way close enough to see the cars properly and shows a good mix of features. Especially with a pair of binoculars to hand. I spent nearly 12 hours there on Saturday and another 8 today and enjoyed every minute. It's strictly for the enthusiast though- no other diversions and no food nearby - so the casual visitor( which must be at least 80% of the people) would not go that far from the centre. I thought the whole event was splendid, even though I have never been so cold in July in my ( long) life. I have decided to go out at my funeral to the sound of John Burton's Chevron at full chat round Woodcote. But not before a few more Classics I hope!
Old 28 Jul 2019, 19:43 (Ref:3920094)   #298
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
>>>>>Do people really pay to just go and sit with their car club displays or were they all watching somewhere else ?

That's the thing about the Classic, it can be all things to all people. I reckon you need a whole day of no racing to take it all in

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 28 Jul 2019, 19:55 (Ref:3920098)   #299
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Ooh where to start?

The MG was already loaded when I picked it up on Thursday afternoon so I was somewhat surprised that when I came to unload, there was no spark!

I was doing this event on my own since Ken and the team would be in the National paddock and I was in the wing. Anyway I got my bit of the garage sorted and on Friday morning we decided it was an ignition component and £120 later we had a spark.

Went out to qualify and for the first time in ages I got opposite lock at Copse and Becketts. Still struggling with the farm/village chicane thing though. I discovered that Abbey is a lift and then flat in fourth, again with a little over steer.

All that I was 58th out of around 62 so at least not last. And unlike some others I didn't bin it.

So that was Friday.

I spent some of Saturday checking the car over and pumping up tyres etc.

Went to see Ken and the team before their HTCC/Tony Dron race, then returned to the Wing where we watched the race. Ken blew the difficulty in his Group A Rover so a non finish.

Tim Clarke and his daughter came to help with my mandatory pit stop and by the time that came round I'd diced with a Porsche 911 and came out on top. Iain or Dr Bob were behind me but I couldn't hold back the Morgan SLR of Mike Bell and its owner.

Anyway I was revelling in the handling of the MG and having a good time just sliding it about until the very last lap when I suppose the rear tyres gave up and I spun at Becketts. That let Iain past and so I was third of the 10/10s brigade.

Still all good fun only spoiled by not being allowed to take my car in to load it up. It wasn't a van so didn't count as a service vehicle. That cost me half an hour.
Old 28 Jul 2019, 20:47 (Ref:3920115)   #300
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Iain was sharing with Robert Ingram as far as I know.
Dr Robert Ingram, over from Oz and also a tenther......

My stint in the race was just huge fun, and NO SAFETY CARS! Think we’d moved up nearly 20 places when I handed over to Simon. I’ve not raced on the GP circuit incorporating the ‘tighter’ Vale before, and it wasn’t so awkward as expected. And we were very lucky with the dry afternoon, as just a few miles east on way home I found the rain again.......

I still think it’s a great event, but the organisers need to cap the amount of competing cars and club displays. Usually the old paddock is fairly relaxed but this time it was rammed! Don’t be greedy and spoil it, people......

Great to bump into many friends and tenthers that I miss while racing in Europe, and make some new ones. Congrats to all on their results!