Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 16 May 2019, 14:57 (Ref:3904140)   #1
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Exactweld Racing Motorcycle

I have been mates with the guys from Exactweld since the 60s and always been amazed at the work that they do in a small industrial unit not far from where I live in the UK. The link is to show the story from the early days, however I was in their unit today to look at a new bike that they have built for some continental meetings this year and was told that they will be testing it at my local track in Almeria Spain soon.
https://riders.drivemag.com/features...ainst-all-odds
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 May 2019, 16:10 (Ref:3904157)   #2
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have some articles form the 80's of the 2 stroke Rotax bike they made.

Think it ran 4 carbs or something and they made their own chassis, never really achieved a lot though.
Old 16 May 2019, 22:21 (Ref:3904233)   #3
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I have some articles form the 80's of the 2 stroke Rotax bike they made.

Think it ran 4 carbs or something and they made their own chassis, never really achieved a lot though.
Yes the new one has 4 carbs and is a 250cc twin and is a masterpiece in design. They also made the Cosworth Quantel twin (in the photo) with an engine made out of two cylinders of a DFV. The story makes interesting reading.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Quantel Cosworth.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	53042
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 17 May 2019, 16:26 (Ref:3904368)   #4
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remarkable story, talk about innovative engineering, thinking outside the box Colin Chapman style!
Old 17 May 2019, 20:28 (Ref:3904402)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Remarkable story, talk about innovative engineering, thinking outside the box Colin Chapman style!
When they made the first bike they had a tiny workshop not on the ground floor (more like a flat) and had to use a lift to get all the stuff in and out or the stairs !
They moved to a bigger unit on an industrial estate that they then worked out of for about 30 years and then moved to the current premises but still in the same area.
Guy is such a good welder and is one of those people that some of the big named firms seek him out to work his magic on seemingly impossible jobs that their own workers have failed to sort out.
I did notice some early 1900s alloy engine blocks waiting for repairs and magnesium parts waiting to be welded.
John was repairing a part of an old Mercedes fuel injection system while I was there and always has an idea of how anything made of metal can be repaired or remanufactured
Old 18 May 2019, 07:39 (Ref:3904466)   #6
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Had no idea Exaat made the Quantel, I thought that was made my erm Quantel!! Will ahve to read the articles I have.

I dont think the 4 carb bike did much, but they had some success with an Irish rider whose name escapes me in the European series in late 80's. Maybe Gary Cowan?

But I think the bike was fairly conventional.

Development was at an intense pitch back then the Heron Ciba Geigy bike, Fior, Aprilia ran a girder fork on a bike, Elf Honda bikes and the even weirder stuff they ran in Bol D'Or events.

And then at a higher level you has Cagiva trying carbon frames, Honda trying carbon forks, wheels etc.

Kawasaki, honda, Yamaha trying fuel injection
Old 18 May 2019, 08:55 (Ref:3904480)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Had no idea Exaat made the Quantel, I thought that was made my erm Quantel!! Will ahve to read the articles I have.

I dont think the 4 carb bike did much, but they had some success with an Irish rider whose name escapes me in the European series in late 80's.

The one that has just been built is for a dedicated classic series and they made the frame for the Quantel
Old 18 May 2019, 11:34 (Ref:3904496)   #8
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I recall articles in the late 80's probably in the building you are on about, blokes with beards made some sort of green wonderbike. but it never did much sadly!
Old 18 May 2019, 13:16 (Ref:3904506)   #9
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Did some digging

The team at Exactweld was only three guys!

The Quantel guys farmed out the chassis design to Exactweld after trying their own, like the 250 it was a no chassis type thing.

Engine was very loosely based on an old Commando Norton twin! Very loosely!!
Old 22 Aug 2019, 13:20 (Ref:3923745)   #10
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
August 19th. The 3 day test at Val de Vienne proved extremely positive for Exactweld Racing despite heavy rain prematurely ending our running on Sunday afternoon. Each session saw the lap times tumbling as rider Peter Branton became all the more familiar with the bike and track.
Click image for larger version

Name:	exactweld.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	53796
Old 29 Mar 2020, 16:38 (Ref:3967567)   #11
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
I have just re-edited a video that was on YouTube showing the Exactweld 250cc race bike that is now being used in Classic GP racing. Guy was hoping to do the whole season this year and is all ready, It's an absolute disaster what's happened in the world at the moment for just about everything in the foreseeable future.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df-dcfNFxuQ
Old 31 Mar 2020, 09:31 (Ref:3967784)   #12
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fascinating, real skills.
Old 31 Mar 2020, 12:25 (Ref:3967809)   #13
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Fascinating, real skills.
Exactly, unfortunately those skills are disappearing and the numbers that can still do it are all getting older with very few to take their place