Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 25 Jun 2009, 20:02 (Ref:2490640)   #1
wahwahwah
Rookie

wahwahwah should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am I in the right place? 1934 Rally question??

OK.

Please be friendly - last time I posted I got banned for life!! (Mistaken identity.)

The day before yesterday I found out my elegant (dead) (always a hero to me, grandpa won the 1934 Bournemouth Rally! How impossibly wonderful is that??

Ok - he had help! :-)
His co-driver was a chap called Wynn Weston, and his name was Waight. (Yes, spelled like that.) They won in a Rover Speed 20, built in Seagrave Road, not Coventry. We have a plaque, and some silverware, but I would just about MAIM (or indeed, be very friendly indeed! :-) ) for some more documentation/pictures/anythingliness about this!

I've searched - but come up with nada!
Anyone know anyone that can help me?

My name's Becc. I like taking odd pictures of old engines.

Please help, chaps.

(I don't find this site the most userfriendly - and for goodness sake, nobody ban me again! ...I'm probably in the "Which-IS-The-Best-Gas-for-a-Slightly-Used-Boxter" section.... )

This is SERIOUS! Please someone spoon me in the right direction?
Old 26 Jun 2009, 05:55 (Ref:2490834)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep, in the right place.

Try not to hold us to ransom on the ban thing, it was just your turn.

Got any pics of the memorabilia, it may stir some memories?
Old 26 Jun 2009, 07:07 (Ref:2490862)   #3
Darren Galpin
Racer

Darren Galpin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wynn-Weston appeared in the 1934 RAC Rally (see http://www.teamdan.com/archive/www2/.../34miscra.html).
Old 26 Jun 2009, 09:52 (Ref:2490953)   #4
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you're actually both talking about the same rally - 30s sources often call the RAC Rally by the name of its final destination - Bournemouth, Torquay or Blackpool for example.

Wynn-Weston, in a 22hp Rover 20, won the over 16hp class, having started from London. According to Motor Sport, he had won the same class in 1933.

However, I can find no references to a Mr Waight in regard to rallying: this isn't surprising though, because reports of the time generally only credited the entrant - but was he also a pilot by any chance?

TD Wynn-Weston lived in Palliser Court, Barons Court, London.

Sources: Motor Sport, The Times Online Archive

Bob Marley
Old 26 Jun 2009, 11:57 (Ref:2491008)   #5
wahwahwah
Rookie

Pictures of the plaque and (somewhat understated) silverware I can take - but they're at my folks' place, and I'm just out of hospital and not up to driving - saying that - I'll schmoose my Dad - see if I can't get him to do it... watch this space...

(But not very closely - they're not very grand statements of achievement! I would've thought in 1934, when Grandpa was 28, winning this would've made him a kind of rock star!)

He did some remarkable things for and with Rover - Bit of a wonder, my Grandpa!

He did however have issues with his name. I mean, Everyone called him Bert Waight, But I believe it's John Waight on his birth certificate...and Nan called him Eddie. (For reasons no one ever found out!)

Smiles to you!

Thanks for being interested.
I'll do some work on the pics....

Becca Parker
Old 26 Jun 2009, 11:59 (Ref:2491010)   #6
wahwahwah
Rookie

You're a star!

Thanks so much... off to call my dad...

smiles

Becc
Old 26 Jun 2009, 15:06 (Ref:2491127)   #7
wahwahwah
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitesse View Post
I think you're actually both talking about the same rally - 30s sources often call the RAC Rally by the name of its final destination - Bournemouth, Torquay or Blackpool for example.

Wynn-Weston, in a 22hp Rover 20, won the over 16hp class, having started from London. According to Motor Sport, he had won the same class in 1933.

However, I can find no references to a Mr Waight in regard to rallying: this isn't surprising though, because reports of the time generally only credited the entrant - but was he also a pilot by any chance?

TD Wynn-Weston lived in Palliser Court, Barons Court, London.

Sources: Motor Sport, The Times Online Archive
Yup - that's Wynn. And on further grilling of my father, it WAS Wynn's car and therefore, Wynn is registered as the entrant!

Regarding pics of memorabillia - my Dad (who'll be joining us soon to see how this developes!) found a plaque, identical to ours on a site called arteauto.com. But pictures of the Teapot, sugar bowl, and whatever WILL be forthcoming!

THANK YOU so much for being interested and helping me.

Sincerely

Parker

Re: Pilot. No. But he was fairly important in the development of the Spits.
Old 26 Jun 2009, 15:14 (Ref:2491129)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not adding anything to this but as a comment this is good stuff. The history surrounding early motorsport in the UK tends to be treated as a kind of gentleman's club, unimportant side bar to the Merc/Auto Union/Alfa exploits in the Grands Prix of the time.

Thanks for the question Becca.
Old 27 Jun 2009, 20:13 (Ref:2491713)   #9
wahwahwah
Rookie

No - thank you.
I'm just so damned proud.

My grandpa was a fabulous, remarkable, elegant loving man - I only wish I could remember the remarkable stories - ie: he took land-rovers to Mussolini! Or Franco! (It's a crime I can't remember the proper facts!?????)

I only recently got into all this - went to Shelsley a couple of months ago and was totally captivated. I share my home with my longtime friend who took me because he'd done an awful lot of the mechanical restoration of a just startling Cooper Bristol - And well, with or without him, I'm afraid this vintage stuff has really touched me now!

When I was a child/school-leaver I went for the exams to be an apprentice at landrover - just about the only apprenticeships that still existed, I did very well, but they would not offer me a mechanical apprenticeship - only one in the sodding drawing office! (Grumble sexism grumble grumble). So I told them no.

It isn't the speeds or the achievements that captivate me - it's the people, and the art and music of the vintage engines! (I've even strapped a rather good sound recorder into a couple of accomodating drivers' cars! Because, it IS music. (And I was a musician.)

Urm...I took alot of pictures - but it's the...oh, hell, I bet you wish you'd not said anything now don't you!!! If you'd like to see a couple of pictures...? But I'm not brave enough to post them publicly...

Thank you for being initially interested!

Becc.
Old 27 Jun 2009, 21:00 (Ref:2491727)   #10
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahwahwah View Post
>>>>>>>>.........Urm...I took alot of pictures - but it's the...oh, hell, I bet you wish you'd not said anything now don't you!!! If you'd like to see a couple of pictures...? But I'm not brave enough to post them publicly...
Becc.
Oh come on, don't be a tease !
I'm sure you are as good as any and better than most, try us with one please...
Old 27 Jun 2009, 22:48 (Ref:2491756)   #11
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It isn't the speeds or the achievements that captivate me - it's the people, and the art and music of the vintage engines! (I've even strapped a rather good sound recorder into a couple of accomodating drivers' cars! Because, it IS music. (And I was a musician.)
For me - and I'm sure most of us here - it's a combination of some or all of all those. And the smells of course ... nitro and other exotics .... Castrol R .... tyre smoke ....

The chance to stand beside - or even touch - a piece of machinery and know (almost to the minute) where that very car was twenty, thirty, fifty, eighty or a hundred years ago and to relate that to pictures, film or text ...
Quote:
Urm...I took alot of pictures - but it's the...oh, hell, I bet you wish you'd not said anything now don't you!!! If you'd like to see a couple of pictures...? But I'm not brave enough to post them publicly...

Thank you for being initially interested!

Becc.
Piccies please! (Pretty please!!!)

Bob Marley
Old 28 Jun 2009, 04:39 (Ref:2491818)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yep, post em. Also for the artist in you there's the Art and Photography forum.
Old 28 Jun 2009, 14:09 (Ref:2492721)   #13
wahwahwah
Rookie

ok ok.

I'm know what I'm looking for - but I'm not quite there yet...

But this, I really like.

And...oh you decide! I'm fab with critisim. And besides - I don't take pictures for any other reason than to never forget the beauty I see for myself.

Hell - I hope I've got the sizing right...

Urm...
Old 28 Jun 2009, 14:22 (Ref:2492731)   #14
wahwahwah
Rookie

Urm...I DID post some pics...but they've disappeared somewhere...I expect they've been moderated out for size problems...

God's teeth, you can lose man-years figuring out the machinations of this site!
Old 28 Jun 2009, 15:16 (Ref:2492752)   #15
wahwahwah
Rookie

Regarding photographs...

OK ...due to previously mentioned mistaken identity ban (grumble, grumble) I presume I'm not allowed to make a gallery of my own??? (grumble, grumble)

But here! (Terrier-bird who is never a tease - just nervy,) I built this just for you gentlemen: http://www.wahwahwah.co.uk/percentages/01/

As I said, not there yet...but I know what I'm looking for and number 5 on the list comes in pretty close - I like that one.

Smiles to you chaps!
(I'm not really too much of a grumbler.)

Becc
Old 28 Jun 2009, 17:04 (Ref:2492791)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I think you'll find that your pics are there.

As you don't have many posts to your name we "moderate" posts that may appear to be spam. Most of the time its just a few pics and they are now approved. Actually I like the first and the third best.
Old 28 Jun 2009, 18:09 (Ref:2492812)   #17
wahwahwah
Rookie

LOL!

Yeah - the first (now approved) IS the 5th on the website. We're agreed!
(But it's the 4th that will be an ongoing quest to get right... or rather... to collect.)

Ach - it just blows my mind. You discover them in pieces and boxes, and rebuild with such slavish respect... These beauteous, precious objects! They are ONLY going to be cared for (or totalled!) by you guys! Like snapshots of the hair-raising past you can drive...

I wish I had the skills to do what you do...
Old 15 Jul 2009, 06:12 (Ref:2501987)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Just to keep this at the top, Becca has sent me some good info, which I'll try to resize in order to post, either tonight or over my weekend which is Friday/Sat.
Old 15 Jul 2009, 15:59 (Ref:2502319)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Ok,

Got some good stuff here. There's a copy of the RAC licences and a report from the Motor magazine. There's also a couple of period adverts and I'd like to put them in a separate thread. Hope this works.
Attached Thumbnails
Licence1.jpg   Licence2.jpg   Licence3.jpg  

Licence4.jpg  
Old 15 Jul 2009, 16:04 (Ref:2502322)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Now for the reports. Actually the second page is about Brooklands and Monaco. Good stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Report1.jpg   Report2.jpg  
Old 15 Jul 2009, 16:29 (Ref:2502333)   #21
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't suppose you happen to have page 363?

I was just getting into that and then....Doh!
Old 15 Jul 2009, 16:34 (Ref:2502337)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Nope, but I've put in a request.
Old 15 Jul 2009, 16:36 (Ref:2502339)   #23
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Peter. I look forward to that.
Old 17 Jul 2009, 20:52 (Ref:2503514)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
*sigh* Clearly the request is taking time to get through.
Old 17 Jul 2009, 20:55 (Ref:2503517)   #25
wahwahwah
Rookie

grumble grumble :-) page 36-bloody-3!!!

...aparently the 2nd car in the illustration on the 2nd page, was always pointed out to my father as Wynn's.

oooh - I have the beautiful old beaten-up, weathered pennant and the tea set - but I don't know how to photograph metals....

and the bigger-than-a-house-cause-I-got-the-sizing-wrong PDF file is available at http://www.wahwahwah.co.uk/1934/RAC_PDF_01.pdf

(Seriously though - hoooooge! - you may want to pass on that - you can even see the fibre in the pages!) :-)

Thanks chaps.
Sincerely.

Means the world.

Smiles,

Becc