Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 23 Jan 2024, 11:40 (Ref:4192992)   #2476
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry Peter, forgot to pm you.
Old 23 Jan 2024, 11:54 (Ref:4192995)   #2477
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No problem. I'll give it a few more hours.
Old 23 Jan 2024, 11:59 (Ref:4192997)   #2478
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
Sorry Peter, forgot to pm you.
Beat you to it

Not sure about the result though
Old 23 Jan 2024, 12:04 (Ref:4192998)   #2479
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Again, to relieve the pressure on Bob to keep coming up with quizzes for us.....

This one I suspect wont be easy.... I put my Bauble (bobble) hat on and it is one that I will say now might have more than the answer.... the answer I am looking for is quite specific. I did run it pass El Quizmeister first for his thoughts. He found straight away an alternative answer that I wasnt looking for. Nil points

Its an odd one out quiz.... all of the drivers bar one achieved something quite unique in terms of World Championship races from 1950 on. There are a number of other drivers that could have been on the list of did and didnt, so this is just a random selection.

I will say that one answer I am NOT looking for is, as Bob pointed out, that they have all won the Monaco Grand Prix except Siffert.

Clues will be forthcoming if required.

Last edited by E.B; 23 Jan 2024 at 12:20.
Old 23 Jan 2024, 14:06 (Ref:4193012)   #2480
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
E.B has been warned about posting this puzzle. He has chosen to ignore my advice, he deserves everything that is, undoubtedly, coming to him.
Old 23 Jan 2024, 14:19 (Ref:4193015)   #2481
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Beat you to it

Not sure about the result though
Well EB got the right answers and provided much more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB
Brands 1980, First win for the works Rover Team, albeit the win was Jeff Allam in the #12 Triplex car.
(The #6 was Greensladee.)
Race was also notable because it featured two (eventual) F1 ''Knights" both Stirling Moss and Jack Brabham in the entry, Moss in an Audi and Brabham in an R5 Gordini. I say eventual knights.... Jack was already a Sir, Moss wasnt at the time. His came much later
Looking at the entry list a few other notables too, Whizzo, Brian Muir, Percy, Win Rouse, Tony Lanfranchi, Dave Brodie, Colin Hawker etc etc.
Brands Hatch from inside of Surtees; 1980 Grand Prix support race; first overall win for Rover in the BSCC.
Old 23 Jan 2024, 14:44 (Ref:4193020)   #2482
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Well EB got the right answers and provided much more info.

Brands Hatch from inside of Surtees; 1980 Grand Prix support race; first overall win for Rover in the BSCC.
He always he was always a show off!

Picking the wrong circuit was my mistake, Peter, I first thought Brands but could not quite place the corner, it looks a bit less developed than I remember.
I still think I was right about the drivers though.

B.
Old 23 Jan 2024, 14:57 (Ref:4193024)   #2483
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
E.B has been warned about posting this puzzle. He has chosen to ignore my advice, he deserves everything that is, undoubtedly, coming to him.
Look here, Mr D.S. Gruntled of Beds, your warning seemed more of a cordial welcome to post it.... although you did threaten me with your lynch mob of smiling assassins to make my life awkward.
Im sure they are aware of the difficulties that come with living standing upside down in the sun and will therefore be lenient and considerate.
Old 23 Jan 2024, 15:07 (Ref:4193026)   #2484
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
I still think I was right about the drivers though.

B.
Yes, the drivers were correct. I was standing in the public enclosure, today such a picture would be impossible due to the fencing.
Old 23 Jan 2024, 15:07 (Ref:4193027)   #2485
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Also the first BSCC race of that year not to be won by one of the Gordon Spice Capris.... indeed I believe it ended up as the only race of the year not won by a Spice Capri.
Old 23 Jan 2024, 15:14 (Ref:4193030)   #2486
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Also the first BSCC race of that year not to be won by one of the Gordon Spice Capris.... indeed I believe it ended up as the only race of the year not won by a Spice Capri.
I told you, just a Glory Hunter.
Old 23 Jan 2024, 15:15 (Ref:4193031)   #2487
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Just a clue to my quiz. It has only been achieved once since the late eighties.
Old 23 Jan 2024, 15:23 (Ref:4193033)   #2488
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Yes, the drivers were correct. I was standing in the public enclosure, today such a picture would be impossible due to the fencing.

I think that that is the first photo that I can recall that was taken from that area on what I know as South Bank; is it still called that? I knew immediately that it was Brands, but it took me a few moments to understand where the photo was taken and where the camera was pointing.
Old 23 Jan 2024, 15:26 (Ref:4193035)   #2489
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
I told you, just a Glory Hunter.
I'll get you back at playtime.
Old 23 Jan 2024, 16:14 (Ref:4193046)   #2490
bauble
Veteran

England
I am still 'puzzled' if, as you say Peter, the picture is from the support race from the GP meeting, I cannot work out why the Grand Prix circuit is obviously closed off (background) while the cars appear to be on the Indy circuit.
What am I missing, or reading the picture wrong?

Baffled of Potton.

Ah! that must be the Indy circuit continuation blocked off. Apologies, must try harder.

Last edited by bauble; 23 Jan 2024 at 16:20. Reason: Addition
Old 23 Jan 2024, 16:20 (Ref:4193049)   #2491
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I am still 'puzzled' if, as you say Peter, the picture is from the support race from the GP meeting, I cannot work out why the Grand Prix circuit is obviously closed off (background) while the cars appear to be on the Indy circuit.
What am I missing, or reading the picture wrong?

Baffled of Potton.
I'm sure you're just trying to promote your new persona 'Baffled Baub (no longer) From Bedfordshire' but the piece of track closed off is the Indy Circuit, the cars in the picture are turning left onto the Grand Prix loop.
Old 23 Jan 2024, 16:33 (Ref:4193054)   #2492
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I'm sure you're just trying to promote your new persona 'Baffled Baub (no longer) From Bedfordshire' but the piece of track closed off is the Indy Circuit, the cars in the picture are turning left onto the Grand Prix loop.

I must admit that, at first glance, it looked as though they were running the race in the reverse direction. It's because the photo has been taken, in my mind, from an usual spot and direction. If it had been taken from the infield around the pits area, it would have been obvious.
Old 23 Jan 2024, 16:37 (Ref:4193055)   #2493
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Just a clue to my quiz. It has only been achieved once since the late eighties.
You could bet that the Flying Dutchman (Max V) managed to get his name on the list of those that did. He is the once since the late eighties..

Going back a few decades the winner of the very first race of the championship era, though not pictured, got his name on the list of 'dids'.
Old 23 Jan 2024, 17:34 (Ref:4193070)   #2494
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
You could bet that the Flying Dutchman (Max V) managed to get his name on the list of those that did. He is the once since the late eighties..

Going back a few decades the winner of the very first race of the championship era, though not pictured, got his name on the list of 'dids'.
Many replies (correct or otherwise) have you had EB?
Old 23 Jan 2024, 20:34 (Ref:4193085)   #2495
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Many replies (correct or otherwise) have you had EB?
In the absence of an ignore button( )I have had more than one answer, none of them rude or threatening to lynch me.... but as yet no correct ones.

Time for more clues.....

Quote:

Anyone who won the British GP up to 1975 would be on the list of those that did.

A few part time Americans also would qualify.
The last person before Max to qualify for this club was Keke Rosberg in 1985.
Old 24 Jan 2024, 09:57 (Ref:4193126)   #2496
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
I

Anyone who won the British GP up to 1975 would be on the list of those that did.

A few part time Americans also would qualify.
The last person before Max to qualify for this club was Keke Rosberg in 1985.
OK lets spell it out.... Anyone who won the British GP in 1975 would have qualified to be members of this 'club' that amongst others 5 of the 6 pictured drivers are in.

However, a driver winning the 1976 British GP would not be able to say they had achieved what some drivers (which include 5 of those pictured) did.

So what was the critical difference between the 1975 and 1976 British GPs format. And its not that one was at Silerstone and one was at Brands.

Identifying that difference should make it easy. A calendar might help.
Lets not drag this out for a month of Sundays.

Once you have found out the subtle difference finding the odd one out who did not do what the other 5 did should be easy.

Here are some names of others not pictured that also achieved this mystery feat.
Giuseppe Farina, Jose Froilan Gonzalez, Alberto Ascari, Bill Vukovich, Stirling Moss and Keke Rosberg. Keke was the last one to achieve this feat (in 1985) until Max managed it last year.

What didnt happen between 1985 and 2023?
Old 24 Jan 2024, 10:30 (Ref:4193128)   #2497
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
OK lets spell it out.... Anyone who won the British GP in 1975 would have qualified to be members of this 'club' that amongst others 5 of the 6 pictured drivers are in.

However, a driver winning the 1976 British GP would not be able to say they had achieved what some drivers (which include 5 of those pictured) did.

So what was the critical difference between the 1975 and 1976 British GPs format. And its not that one was at Silerstone and one was at Brands.

Identifying that difference should make it easy. A calendar might help.
Lets not drag this out for a month of Sundays.

Once you have found out the subtle difference finding the odd one out who did not do what the other 5 did should be easy.

Here are some names of others not pictured that also achieved this mystery feat.
Giuseppe Farina, Jose Froilan Gonzalez, Alberto Ascari, Bill Vukovich, Stirling Moss and Keke Rosberg. Keke was the last one to achieve this feat (in 1985) until Max managed it last year.

What didnt happen between 1985 and 2023?
I told you!
Old 24 Jan 2024, 11:08 (Ref:4193131)   #2498
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
A mere guess, up until 76 the GP was run on a Saturday and since then it been on a Sunday.
Old 24 Jan 2024, 11:57 (Ref:4193137)   #2499
bauble
Veteran

England
How about a Caption competition?

Open house on suggestions
Attached Thumbnails
Big Chopper Man.jpg  
Old 24 Jan 2024, 12:28 (Ref:4193142)   #2500
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
How about a Caption competition?

Open house on suggestions
How Ken Tyrrell got his nickname?