Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 13 Aug 2018, 14:58 (Ref:3843397)   #1001
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simpson's learnt from three other teams, always wanted to do this, blah blah blah.

All very noble points, and probably true to an extent.

But you wouldn't do it part-way through a season, would you?
Old 13 Aug 2018, 15:05 (Ref:3843398)   #1002
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He’s got nothing to lose though, he’s not a championship contender in any way and as others have said, he can work out what his team is missing in the
Last 3 meetings and rectify that over the winter, allowing him to go for a proper campaign next year.
Old 13 Aug 2018, 15:13 (Ref:3843400)   #1003
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder what happens with the engine. Does Simpson 'own' (or however it works nowadays) the NBE lump that came with the car or do we suspect he'll shift to the TOCA unit?

Eurotech made a big thing about switching (back) to the Honda engines for this year (perhaps they planned on gaining data from the engine Simpson brought with him from his stint with Team Dynamics) so it suggests *insert Sean Bean - one does not simply...* run the NBE engine without deep pockets etc.

Putting my tin foil hat on for a second... What if Mr Tesco/Silverline/Adrian Flux has spotted another opportunity with a small team owner with seemingly deep pockets and has convinced them to join up for next year... (Perhaps one for the 2019 thread!)
Old 13 Aug 2018, 15:17 (Ref:3843401)   #1004
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLiTZ View Post
I wonder what happens with the engine. Does Simpson 'own' (or however it works nowadays) the NBE lump that came with the car or do we suspect he'll shift to the TOCA unit?
its his NBE engine. nothing changes
Old 13 Aug 2018, 15:36 (Ref:3843403)   #1005
Racer65
Racer

Racer65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post

Why not? It's not as though he's fighting for the championship so surely better to use the rest of this season to get the new team working rather than risk messing up the first couple of rounds next season as I said above?

They can go into the winter with a much better idea of what needs doing that way as well.
Old 13 Aug 2018, 16:14 (Ref:3843406)   #1006
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer65 View Post
Why not? It's not as though he's fighting for the championship so surely better to use the rest of this season to get the new team working rather than risk messing up the first couple of rounds next season as I said above?

They can go into the winter with a much better idea of what needs doing that way as well.
Presumably Eurotech have been running the car on a race by race basis, meaning that The Simpsons pay for one race at a time? I can't see how otherwise they could do this to them.

This reminds of a story back from the final race of the 1987 BTCC Season where a mysterious (and empty) transporter had turned up in the paddock and the story was that one of the cars would peel off the track before the end of the race, drive into the paddock and into the back of this transporter. Unfortunately the plan never worked out as the said car ended beached in the gravel somewhere around the circuit...

I'm not suggesting that Matt Simpson has been so underhand, it's just something that the situation reminds me of!
Old 13 Aug 2018, 17:07 (Ref:3843416)   #1007
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Simpson's learnt from three other teams, always wanted to do this, blah blah blah.

All very noble points, and probably true to an extent.

I was going to say the same.

During the mid-season break maybe. Three races from the end of the year seems odd timing.
Old 13 Aug 2018, 17:24 (Ref:3843421)   #1008
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe Simpson has something lined up involving others and wants to get a head start on his own?

Or maybe simply he thinks he knows enough to go it alone?

Time will tell!
Old 13 Aug 2018, 17:29 (Ref:3843423)   #1009
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From their press release -

"We’re really excited to take the British Touring Car project in house, it gives us the opportunity to focus on our own setup and destiny with the aim of taking the base we have built and moving up to the next level. I’d like to thank Eurotech Racing for a fantastic experience in the first part of this season and wish them, Jack and Brett luck for the rest of the year.”
Old 13 Aug 2018, 18:46 (Ref:3843445)   #1010
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Matt already has his transporter with awning, tools and hospitality bus also a squad of mechanics. Eurotech were only looking after the car on race weekends, dont forget he is a world champion on the short ovals. his truck is the immaculate one with multiple slide outs, his bus is a very impressive bit of kit too
Old 13 Aug 2018, 23:02 (Ref:3843495)   #1011
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Presumably Eurotech have been running the car on a race by race basis, meaning that The Simpsons pay for one race at a time? I can't see how otherwise they could do this to them.

This reminds of a story back from the final race of the 1987 BTCC Season where a mysterious (and empty) transporter had turned up in the paddock and the story was that one of the cars would peel off the track before the end of the race, drive into the paddock and into the back of this transporter. Unfortunately the plan never worked out as the said car ended beached in the gravel somewhere around the circuit...

I'm not suggesting that Matt Simpson has been so underhand, it's just something that the situation reminds me of!

Tell me more, you’ve intrigued me!
Old 14 Aug 2018, 00:41 (Ref:3843507)   #1012
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dennis Leech ended up in the gravel in that race. I've never heard anything about this plan though.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 07:03 (Ref:3843522)   #1013
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Tell me more, you’ve intrigued me!
No names, no pack drill!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
Dennis Leech ended up in the gravel in that race. I've never heard anything about this plan though.
It wasn't Dennis, actually I think I got the year wrong, it could have been 1988!
Old 14 Aug 2018, 07:46 (Ref:3843525)   #1014
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
Quote:
No names, no pack drill!

It wasn't Dennis, actually I think I got the year wrong, it could have been 1988!
Pretty sure it wouldn't have been Dennis Leech, as IIRC didn't he always run his own car?. I'm going to have to watch the videos of the final rounds for 87/8 now to see who falls off into the gravel and was run by a different team the next year!
Old 14 Aug 2018, 08:42 (Ref:3843529)   #1015
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Whilst we are ruminating, I wonder how Dave Bartrum really feels about this season? They have gone backwards and without MJ have no team leader or someone who can really wring the neck out of the car. They have three good cheque writers in the car, so no doubt the budget is healthier, but that is not translating into results.

I don't know how commited Tordoff really is, he seemed hacked off after Rockingham, not just about that weekend but the season so far in general.
https://www.touringcartimes.com/2018...ckingham-luck/
Old 14 Aug 2018, 08:59 (Ref:3843531)   #1016
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Tordoff to me seemed to not have his heart in racing even when he was at WSR and close to a possible championship: I have no issues with people with bags of money, but I do like to see enthusiasm - Sonic brings money and enthusiasm whereas I think Tordoff simply brings money.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 09:53 (Ref:3843536)   #1017
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
To be fair to Motorbase, the only luck they've had this season has been bad luck. Tordoff & Chilton bot appear to be decent peddlers and have often managed to make up quite a few places from poor starting positions, I think it's just circumstances that have prevented the results they deserved.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 09:59 (Ref:3843537)   #1018
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
To be fair to Motorbase, the only luck they've had this season has been bad luck. Tordoff & Chilton bot appear to be decent peddlers and have often managed to make up quite a few places from poor starting positions, I think it's just circumstances that have prevented the results they deserved.
Same old story. Can't be "bad luck" every year for the past 14 years!!
Old 14 Aug 2018, 10:47 (Ref:3843541)   #1019
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
in btcc when the difference between success and failure can be measured with a feeler gauge i wouldnt be hard on any team, this isnt the btc/s2000 days where there was small grids and cars that were just dogs. 31 car grids, a lot of control parts. every driver wants to win but it is just a bawhair between winning and losing
Old 14 Aug 2018, 11:17 (Ref:3843546)   #1020
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That's becoming an understatement.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 13:27 (Ref:3843560)   #1021
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Chilton isn't too far off the championship lead, showing he's had a consistent season. For Tordoff though, how much bad luck has he had? When things run smoothly he gets results, but it hasn't been often enough
Old 14 Aug 2018, 14:20 (Ref:3843569)   #1022
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Chilton isn't too far off the championship lead, showing he's had a consistent season. For Tordoff though, how much bad luck has he had? When things run smoothly he gets results, but it hasn't been often enough
I'd certainly say Cammish torpedoing him at the start of race one last weekend not Tordoff's fault!
Old 14 Aug 2018, 15:38 (Ref:3843582)   #1023
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe "someone" cursed Motorbase really badly this season ?
Old 14 Aug 2018, 15:40 (Ref:3843583)   #1024
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
maybe "someone" cursed Motorbase really badly this season ?
Are you inferring that Mat Jackson has a voodoo doll of Dave Bartrum and a big box of pins?
Old 14 Aug 2018, 15:41 (Ref:3843584)   #1025
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't say that but as things look for them thiis season you have to wonder