Old 21 Apr 2006, 12:43 (Ref:1590835)   #1
coen89
Rookie

Netherlands
Holland
coen89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How to get in Formula 1...

hi everyone,

I'm a 16 year old boy from Holland who wants to get in formula 1, DTM, WRC it doesn't matter, if it's motorsport its great! In the following years I will follow a course for Aviations Operations this is like a back-up plan. I already work in local raceteam to gain some experience (only i have to clean the cars but to taste how a raceteam works, it's a brilliant job..) Now my question is how have you got into the motorsport, is there work in the motorsport bussiness and does someone knows a technical racecar book that i can find in Holland?, because there arent much technical racecar books

I want to thank you already

greet, Coen
Old 21 Apr 2006, 13:37 (Ref:1590895)   #2
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Howdy Coen!

ok for starters your not gonna find a lot of the technical books that are current. There is the one technical analysis out their which is a few years old and it was written by Peter Wright. In terms of getting involved...well good luck. Currently I am a mechanical engineering student who is looking to do the same things you are. What I have found is that the teams themselves don't take anyone without a good reason. I am currently looking to fulfill the requirements for y degree which include 5 period of work placement. The only even close to relevant thing I have found is the Renault academy which is setup for graduate research students. I doubt you will have much luck without a engineering degree of some form. I have had some more luck by approaching people that supply some teams.

Personally, I plan on continuing my education with an advanced degree in composites design and research either with a prof at my current school who is doing related research, or another one which I have a contact with. What you nee to do and what I am trying to do is find a specialty that is very relevant to racing. Remeber that things like mechanical engineering or aerospace engineering etc have applications outside of racing so they leave you with both a better opportunity to get involved and a fall back plan. Hope that helped a little bit. PM me if you wanna talk more or just ask specific questions.

ps I am very involved with Formula SAE (Formula Student) and try to stay current with my technical knowledge by reading SAE and ASME papers that I feel are relevant. Better info their than your going to get places because they are actual technical research papers under close scrutiny by their peers
Old 25 Apr 2006, 10:10 (Ref:1594494)   #3
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well I'd tell you what to read but that would be advertising...

When I was 16 I got my first and most important breaks into the motorsport industry, a motorsport club ran a hillclimb in my local park and I was offered work experience at Williams. I'd too had read all the book I could find and read every magazine going. Joining the local motorsport club gave me access to local competitors and thier experience, and Williams advised me to attend a technical college that had a motorsport engineering diploma that fed into the market leading degree course at Oxford Brookes. I did both.

Oxford Brookes is probably the best place to get you degree from if you want a job in F1, there are a lot of local teams (in other catergories beyond F1 too) in the area. I'm not sure bout the Dutch unis, all I know is what I see at the FSAE and FSUK events, so can't really comment.

My advice to you is to look into doing the Motorsport engineering diploma at Brooklands College and then the UK universities, Brookes I've mentioned but there are others like Kingston, Brunel, Birmingham, Leeds and Swansea that are pretty damn good.
Old 25 Apr 2006, 14:14 (Ref:1594672)   #4
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins

My advice to you is to look into doing the Motorsport engineering diploma at Brooklands College and then the UK universities, Brookes I've mentioned but there are others like Kingston, Brunel, Birmingham, Leeds and Swansea that are pretty damn good.

Excuse me! You forgot Cranfield! Bursaries from Williams and one of the steering commitee is Pat Symonds! Probably the best post-graduate in the world!
Old 25 Apr 2006, 16:55 (Ref:1594757)   #5
avsfan733
Veteran

oh I don't like you two having this discussion

I have looked at these schools for postgrad thigns but its near impossible for us US kids to get a chance
Old 25 Apr 2006, 20:22 (Ref:1594882)   #6
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coen89
hi everyone,

I'm a 16 year old boy from Holland who wants to get in formula 1, DTM, WRC it doesn't matter, if it's motorsport its great! In the following years I will follow a course for Aviations Operations this is like a back-up plan. I already work in local raceteam to gain some experience (only i have to clean the cars but to taste how a raceteam works, it's a brilliant job..) Now my question is how have you got into the motorsport, is there work in the motorsport bussiness and does someone knows a technical racecar book that i can find in Holland?, because there arent much technical racecar books

I want to thank you already

greet, Coen
Do you know the book of former Sauber mechanic Armand Broekmans? See:
http://213.211.153.184/autonetcarboo...&Prod_ID=brcgY

Maybe this book is something for you? (I didn't read the book myself)

At this Dutch auto(sport) bookshop they have a lott of other books (you don't need a creditcard).
Old 25 Apr 2006, 20:31 (Ref:1594890)   #7
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan733
oh I don't like you two having this discussion

I have looked at these schools for postgrad thigns but its near impossible for us US kids to get a chance

I must disagree! A few of my friends in cranfield are from the US!
Old 25 Apr 2006, 21:06 (Ref:1594921)   #8
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
yes cranfield is world leading in post grad but thats a bit far ahead for a 16 year old don't you think.

I was at the project presentation last week - I know all about cranfield, and think its a great place.
Old 25 Apr 2006, 21:39 (Ref:1594947)   #9
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
I should have been there! I used to be in the winning team! Oh well never mind! I dropped out in March!
Old 26 Apr 2006, 09:55 (Ref:1595277)   #10
coen89
Rookie

Netherlands
Holland
well first of all,
thanks all for your reactions. That dutch book can be very handy, thanks. I'm now 16 as you know and already helping at a raceteam (bleekemolen) so the fact to get experience is good work i think. It's hard to tell a non-dutchie how our schoolsystem works but i will be 20 when i could begin with a post-grade studie so cranfield is maybe a very good place to go then (financiel scenary not considerd). In holland post-grade is called HTS i believe isn't it? The way to get in Formula 1 is always hard so these days I will gain experience as much as I can
so if someone has good sitee with lots of technical info please send them to me and i will be very thankfull.

greet,
Coen

Last edited by coen89; 26 Apr 2006 at 09:58.
Old 26 Apr 2006, 10:02 (Ref:1595281)   #11
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
rcarr the one and only drop out.

I think HTS is degree - post grad is post degree - It rare to see a post grad student under 23
Old 26 Apr 2006, 10:15 (Ref:1595299)   #12
coen89
Rookie

Netherlands
Holland
ah.. i thought a degree would be studying on a university and so on but if that's "hbO" nivo well then I'm really going for race-engineer!
Old 26 Apr 2006, 10:55 (Ref:1595327)   #13
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
rcarr the one and only drop out.

Was anything said about me dropping out?

It was just the wrong choice for me. I am a car designer not an engineer! The course is for engineers wanting to become race engineers not car designers to become race car designers!
Old 26 Apr 2006, 11:11 (Ref:1595338)   #14
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The one and only drop out...?! Hms...
Old 26 Apr 2006, 11:20 (Ref:1595346)   #15
coen89
Rookie

Netherlands
Holland
does anyone know some interesting websites about race-engineering?
Old 26 Apr 2006, 11:53 (Ref:1595364)   #16
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
www.mulsannescorner.com
www.racecar-engineering.com
www.scarbsf1.com

coen I'm not sure but the Uni degrees in the UK are the equivalent of HTS but do check as I'm not sure

only that there was one drop out only.

dropping out can be the best option.
Old 26 Apr 2006, 13:45 (Ref:1595456)   #17
coen89
Rookie

Netherlands
Holland
could you explain drop out? it's for me a unknown term
Old 26 Apr 2006, 14:00 (Ref:1595463)   #18
coen89
Rookie

Netherlands
Holland
BTW what book is better, race engineers and mechanics or engineer to win?
Old 26 Apr 2006, 18:22 (Ref:1595607)   #19
coen89
Rookie

Netherlands
Holland
Ah, I think I now now what HTS is, it's pre-grade so I don't get a degree but will be engineer..
Old 26 Apr 2006, 20:11 (Ref:1595668)   #20
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dropping out may be....coen89, dropping out is leaving something without finishing it - eg doing 2 yrs of a 4 yrs uni course, that can be called "dropping out" and the person that does that is a "drop out."

That make sense?!
Old 26 Apr 2006, 21:06 (Ref:1595708)   #21
coen89
Rookie

Netherlands
Holland
yes, thank you, wasn't familiar with the term, but now i am
Old 26 Apr 2006, 23:24 (Ref:1595824)   #22
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Don't get me wrong, I have a prefectly decent degree under my belt! A car design degree not an engineering 1!

I'd class my time at cranfield was an error! I dont see myself as a drop out!
Old 27 Apr 2006, 13:13 (Ref:1596228)   #23
coen89
Rookie

Netherlands
Holland
*ontopic again: what do you learn on the course race-engineering?
Old 27 Apr 2006, 14:15 (Ref:1596268)   #24
avsfan733
Veteran

ok now I am totally having a hard time following this discussion. I know the educational standards in europe are better I'm guessing ares just don't improve because we can't figure out what to steal from ya'lls
Old 30 Apr 2006, 18:44 (Ref:1598246)   #25
coen89
Rookie

Netherlands
Holland
well in Holland we don't have a special course for race-engineering