Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 17 Jul 2008, 08:06 (Ref:2252475)   #1
mclaren2007
Rookie

mclaren2007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This year and next

Is there going to be any coverage on Free To Air TV of the remaining Indy Racing League races?? I know there will be Surfers, but I don't know of any others.

What's next years Calendar going to look like? CCWS had great tracks, and IRL has good Roads and Ovals but some crappy ovals (Texas, Nashville). Here's what I'd like to see (in no particular order):
  1. Indianapolis, no doubt
  2. Surfers
  3. Long Beach
  4. Phoenix
  5. Houston
  6. Milwaukee
  7. The Glen
  8. Infineon
  9. Edmonton
  10. Iowa
  11. St Petersburg
  12. Homestead Miami
  13. Kansas
  14. Richmond
  15. Mid Ohio
  16. Detroit
  17. Chicagoland
  18. Toronto
  19. Cleveland
  20. Mexico City
  21. Las Vegas street circuit, the one that held the race in '07
Old 17 Jul 2008, 16:35 (Ref:2252741)   #2
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
mattcat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren2007
CCWS had great tracks, and IRL has good Roads and Ovals but some crappy ovals (Texas, Nashville).
What is wrong with Texas? Texas consistently produces some of the best races in the series. And no Elkhart Lake???
Old 17 Jul 2008, 19:12 (Ref:2252832)   #3
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
McLaren, there's already a "Your IRL Calendar" (or something like that) thread.

Matt, I'm pretty sure you get the same scenario at Texas that you do at the other 1.5-mile ovals when you get the cars lined up side-by-side at speed. What I mean is that once that situation is set up the guys are often stuck as MANY times neither driver can make a decisive move, and it gets rather static after they've been doing that for 20-30 laps.

As for actual "new" venues, Toronto seems likely and talks have been underway for some time now with Cleveland, Houston, and Mexico City.

Last edited by Purist; 17 Jul 2008 at 19:14.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 20:16 (Ref:2252890)   #4
wills
Racer

wills should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to see Michigan and Laguna Seca added.
Old 18 Jul 2008, 01:23 (Ref:2253048)   #5
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When asking about TV coverage, be sure to post what country you live in.
Old 18 Jul 2008, 12:59 (Ref:2253317)   #6
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
mattcat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist
Matt, I'm pretty sure you get the same scenario at Texas that you do at the other 1.5-mile ovals when you get the cars lined up side-by-side at speed. What I mean is that once that situation is set up the guys are often stuck as MANY times neither driver can make a decisive move, and it gets rather static after they've been doing that for 20-30 laps.
I don't think that's static at all. It is very exciting to me to see them running side by side, lap after lap, especially at a track like Texas. When they show shots from the on-board cameras, you can see just how close they are running, often times not leaving enough room for a cigarette paper between wheels. I thought the Texas race this year was very exciting, especially in the middle when two drivers got themselves in to a long term side by side battle (can't recall who, I think it was Castroneves and someone else).

However, it appears that I am in the minority holding this opinion, judging by the dismal attendance at Texas this year.
Old 18 Jul 2008, 14:11 (Ref:2253365)   #7
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
It's an issue of the cars being in the same relation to one another at a given point on the lap, every lap, lap after lap. Thus, you very quickly know who will be ahead at start/finish, or in the middle of 1 and 2, or at the end of the back straight on each lap (for as long as the battle ins't interrupted by pit stops or a tellow), which takes the unpredictability out of the battle. This is racing, NOT formation flying.
Old 18 Jul 2008, 17:09 (Ref:2253470)   #8
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Theres free video and live timing on Indycar.com.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna