Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 8 Sep 2003, 16:32 (Ref:712041)   #1
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
ETCC Honda Civics Type-R

If the Peugeot 307 is not permitted under ETCC rules due to it having only three doors, what is the situation with the Civic?

I know that special dispensation was granted to enable a couple of Civics to run in 02 (later extended for 03) but were these ever 'written in' to the ETCC rules or were they simply allowed to run in the ETCC although they didn't meet the ETCC regs?

In this topic it is stated that dispensation was only ever granted for the two cars:

Quote:
The two existing Civic's are allowed to run in ETC, but as the waiver for 2002 was only for one year, this waiver is extended to 2003, but only to the existing two civic's, so no new civic's can be entered in the ETC.
Homologation of new cars must be submitted by the factory, respecting all the rules laid out by FIA for the homologation of cars, and only 4 times a year a homologation can be applied for i.e. January, April, July, and October.
So where does that leave Barwell's plans to enter the BTCC with a couple of Civics upgraded to ETCC spec? Will they be allowed to enter? And if they are what basis is there for refusing the Peugeots an entry on the basis of it having just three doors? I appreciate that there is the hurdle of homologating the car but that's a minor issue at this time.
Old 8 Sep 2003, 16:58 (Ref:712084)   #2
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
is there a length restirction as well? Just thinking that maybe the Pug is too short as well, although it certainly doesnt look like its shorter than a Civic

Last edited by andy_b; 8 Sep 2003 at 16:59.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 01:48 (Ref:712571)   #3
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
politics? Perhaps it's time for the ETCC and BTCC to put their foot down and insist on 4 dr saloons?
Old 9 Sep 2003, 06:56 (Ref:712696)   #4
runnyhunny
Racer

runnyhunny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why? Four door saloons are boring, and only appeal to old people. Heck, the same applies to five door cars!

Two or three doors - now that's the way to go! Much more desirable cars.

The only 'large' car I can think of that's pretty cool is the MG ZS (and that's not terribly big).
Old 9 Sep 2003, 08:47 (Ref:712797)   #5
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was thinking the same thing - ETCC cars are 4-door, min. 4.2m long and BTCC cars are 2+door, min 4.1m long.

How can Varta or Barwell run an ETCC-spec car next year that isn't quite ETCC-spec?
Old 9 Sep 2003, 09:54 (Ref:712871)   #6
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by ATF
I was thinking the same thing - ETCC cars are 4-door, min. 4.2m long and BTCC cars are 2+door, min 4.1m long.

How can Varta or Barwell run an ETCC-spec car next year that isn't quite ETCC-spec?
Presumably TOCA could include a clause in the rules covering ETCC-spec cars to provide a similar dispensation that the Civic has had for the ETCC, on the grounds that the car has been accepted for the ETCC, even if only on a temporary basis- that ought to cover that problem, unless Barwell fancied doing the odd ETCC round as well....

God only knows how they'd accommodate the 307- presumably they could provide a similar waiver to the one the Civic had in the ETCC

I can forsee this ending up as a real mess if they're not careful how they handle it.....
Old 9 Sep 2003, 09:56 (Ref:712873)   #7
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by runnyhunny
Why? Four door saloons are boring, and only appeal to old people. Heck, the same applies to five door cars!

Thanks a bunch for that one- I've been running 4-door saloons/5-door hatches since I was 21 (admittedly because I've usually needed to), and I'm not quite ready for a Zimmer frame yet...

Last edited by KA; 9 Sep 2003 at 09:57.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 10:35 (Ref:712915)   #8
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And 2 doors are harder to get into the back seat when you're tall!
Old 9 Sep 2003, 14:08 (Ref:713178)   #9
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They might get permission to run them similar to how there are non homologated Audi A4s running in Sweden? Just an idea.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 14:11 (Ref:713181)   #10
TerryC
Racer

United Nations
Shakespeare's County
TerryC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think the BTCC scene is getting slightly boring without German cars like the Audis, Mercs & VWs. surely, it will make it more interesting to watch? is it because these teutonic manufacturers are concentrating only on the DTM scenes and therefore couldn't be bothered here?

Last edited by TerryC; 9 Sep 2003 at 14:12.