Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 29 Dec 2020, 12:49 (Ref:4025611)   #2326
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
It seems that you will need a green card?
Old 29 Dec 2020, 12:54 (Ref:4025613)   #2327
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For car insurance? If so yes, but I've always taken one anyway.
Old 29 Dec 2020, 12:54 (Ref:4025612)   #2328
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
It was reported on the Beeb (and who would argue with them?) that EHIC cards will remain valid until their expiry date whereupon they will be exchanged for a new version.
That's a part of the new trade deal. I read an extract on line, I hasten to say I have not read all 2000 pages.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 29 Dec 2020, 13:28 (Ref:4025620)   #2329
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
When we had to have an international driving licence you only applied for it like a dog licence, a mate of mine applied for one and used it in the UK even though he didn't have a full UK one and hadn't passed a driving test.
I remember having to get an international one in a hurry in 1971 as I was chosen to race in Germany at the last minute, I didn't have a photo available and used one of my old mate that now has the brewery as we looked similar
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 29 Dec 2020, 13:57 (Ref:4025624)   #2330
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Old 29 Dec 2020, 15:54 (Ref:4025644)   #2331
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
When we had to have an international driving licence you only applied for it like a dog licence
Now you know how French drivers are good at wheel!
Old 29 Dec 2020, 16:21 (Ref:4025648)   #2332
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Yes I even had one this year out in Spain as you want everything "squeaky clean" for the Spanish cops, I have never been able to "smooth talk" them but for some reason my other half can get away with anything. Perhaps I should grow my hair even longer and dye it blonde !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 29 Dec 2020, 16:43 (Ref:4025657)   #2333
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
From what I understand to have full insurance you've always needed one, your standard insurance without only covered you for third party when in an EU country
Old 29 Dec 2020, 16:52 (Ref:4025661)   #2334
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Like a good chap I told my insurance company about this trip to Marseille ..I did not need a green card .They sent me one anyway .
Old 30 Dec 2020, 15:02 (Ref:4025839)   #2335
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well that's it, as of 00.01 am on 1/1/2021 the UK will be a "third country" as far as the European Union is concerned. We have a reasonable deal, which will no doubt get better as time goes by. The EU negotiators took some big steps to agree this, something that cannot be ignored.

For the benefit of our European friends here and elsewhere, the UK has not left Europe, we are still here to annoy you lot so don't get complacent.

So, a resounding happy new year to all and let's make this work in 2021 and beyond.
Old 30 Dec 2020, 15:28 (Ref:4025842)   #2336
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Well that's it, as of 00.01 am on 1/1/2021 the UK will be a "third country" as far as the European Union is concerned. We have a reasonable deal, which will no doubt get better as time goes by. The EU negotiators took some big steps to agree this, something that cannot be ignored.

For the benefit of our European friends here and elsewhere, the UK has not left Europe, we are still here to annoy you lot so don't get complacent.

So, a resounding happy new year to all and let's make this work in 2021 and beyond.
Amen to all that.

Interestingly you sat that the EU negotiators took some big steps, but I rather felt it had all bogged down to a near standstill until Boris started talking direct to Von Leyern, effectively sidelining Barnier.

I think I saw a headline somewhere that 'The cretin of the Alps' is now looking to a future in French politics, which I find a little amusing.
Old 30 Dec 2020, 16:03 (Ref:4025847)   #2337
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Time will tell if things will turn out for the better without us in the EU. Let’s just hope next year is better than this one
Old 30 Dec 2020, 18:18 (Ref:4025872)   #2338
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Amen to all that.
Cheers to that! John ask your half why "Crétin des Alpes" est une expression qui ne manque pas de sel…*You'll learn the double meaning.

May be Max knows another translation because this expression belongs to Archibald Haddock language. together with Bachi-bouzouc and others!
Old 30 Dec 2020, 20:05 (Ref:4025897)   #2339
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
https://www.vinatis.co.uk/2522_cretin-des-alpes

Looks expensive but I have yet to see the capacity of the bottles identified.
Old 30 Dec 2020, 20:11 (Ref:4025899)   #2340
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Amen to all that.

Interestingly you sat that the EU negotiators took some big steps, but I rather felt it had all bogged down to a near standstill until Boris started talking direct to Von Leyern, effectively sidelining Barnier.

I think I saw a headline somewhere that 'The cretin of the Alps' is now looking to a future in French politics, which I find a little amusing.

von whatsername looks far too happy in the photos.

Apparently Maggie May has pointed out that Boris's deal is nor as good as the one she agreed 3 years ago.

That would not be a surprise. His does sound bites and not detail.

As for the "have our cake and eat it" claim - was that a reference to some historic revolution provoking "quote" (allegedly) or is the man simply living in multiple parallel realities of his own dreaming? And misusing old sayings as he does so.
Old 30 Dec 2020, 20:32 (Ref:4025905)   #2341
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
And yet Norway is complaining that our deal is better than theirs.
Old 30 Dec 2020, 20:54 (Ref:4025907)   #2342
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
von whatsername looks far too happy in the photos.

Apparently Maggie May has pointed out that Boris's deal is nor as good as the one she agreed 3 years ago.

That would not be a surprise. His does sound bites and not detail.

As for the "have our cake and eat it" claim - was that a reference to some historic revolution provoking "quote" (allegedly) or is the man simply living in multiple parallel realities of his own dreaming? And misusing old sayings as he does so.
May is of course extremely bitter & twisted & being more than a little fanciful.
Old 30 Dec 2020, 20:55 (Ref:4025908)   #2343
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
And Switzerland too, from what I read. That she could keep the EU tied up for a few years!
Old 30 Dec 2020, 21:00 (Ref:4025909)   #2344
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:

I'm not sure how they could possible make a comparison.

For a start they still have north sea oil to partly explain their extremely high cost of living (even compared to the UK) and a huge Hydro power capacity that means they can support the German (and Danish) wind generation operations when they either fail or produce too much (in the north in Germany's case) to remain stable.

They also have a population that is much smaller spread over a larger land mass that is entirely unlike anything in the UK other than parts of Scotland. Maybe.

AFAIK they never handed over their fishing industry either.

I'm trying to recall if there were any other similarities to the UK in terms of heavy industry.

IIRC they have Aluminium smelting and a few other things that benefit from cheap Hydro power - long since lost in the UK.

One somewhat similar trait is that they can be bribed into "right thinking" by their politicians. Perhaps I should have said "left thinking " or, more pertinently, "correct thinking" in local terms.
Old 30 Dec 2020, 21:14 (Ref:4025914)   #2345
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
May is of course extremely bitter & twisted & being more than a little fanciful.

The document being rather long and with a load of references to other documents (as I understand it) it is somewhat unlikely that many have read it let alone understood it and the ramifications.

Whether or not that ever matters remains to be seen.

I can't imagine that this particular theatrical franchise has suddenly become a completed series ready for download or upload and never to be revisited.

She is not the only observer who has suggested that BoJo's need for personal glorification in the Churchillian mould may have resulted in a weakened arrangement compared to voter's post Cameron expectations.
Old 30 Dec 2020, 21:18 (Ref:4025916)   #2346
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Indeed so how does May know then?
Old 30 Dec 2020, 21:48 (Ref:4025924)   #2347
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Indeed so how does May know then?

As she would presumably have been very close to the details of what was under discussion back then there would be certain aspects of the negotiations, perhaps then seen as key points, with which she may have been very closely associated.

So reading the entire document would not be necessary. Those headline parts of the agreement, on which as I recall she commented only weeks after BoJo took over and announced his new offer to the EU, have probably not changed.

They were headline points of negotiation back then. If they have not changes since BJ's initial offer her comments would be as valid now as they were then. No need to read the entire document for any hidden gotchas.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 01:11 (Ref:4025949)   #2348
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I'm not sure how they could possible make a comparison.

For a start they still have north sea oil to partly explain their extremely high cost of living (even compared to the UK) and a huge Hydro power capacity that means they can support the German (and Danish) wind generation operations when they either fail or produce too much (in the north in Germany's case) to remain stable.

They also have a population that is much smaller spread over a larger land mass that is entirely unlike anything in the UK other than parts of Scotland. Maybe.

AFAIK they never handed over their fishing industry either.

I'm trying to recall if there were any other similarities to the UK in terms of heavy industry.

IIRC they have Aluminium smelting and a few other things that benefit from cheap Hydro power - long since lost in the UK.

One somewhat similar trait is that they can be bribed into "right thinking" by their politicians. Perhaps I should have said "left thinking " or, more pertinently, "correct thinking" in local terms.
think you're getting distracted by details Grant. Norway are looking at the principle that we have tariff-free access to the EU market with no membership fee and precious few legal obligations, whereas they pay getting on for half a billion Euros - which is a lot given their small population - whilst being required to follow all EU laws and rules.
Switzerland have realised they are in the same situation:
https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/-brexit...rland/46249466
(sorry I can't find the Norway reference I was reading yesterday).
IMO the EU is a scam and a ponzi scheme, and people all over Europe are beginning to think it too
Old 31 Dec 2020, 01:18 (Ref:4025950)   #2349
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Apparently Maggie May has pointed out that Boris's deal is nor as good as the one she agreed 3 years ago.........
The difference being she couldn't sell it to the people or the HoC whereas Boris can and has. Plus he's an order of magnitude smarter than her; and still has that innate ability to find and put a team of really good able people around him as he did when London Mayor. What on earth was May doing with Ollie Robbins as chief negotiator?
Old 31 Dec 2020, 01:28 (Ref:4025952)   #2350
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What sell? The clever bit is removing the need to sell anything. He cleverly waited till the last minute leaving the HoC with no time and no choice. Twice. The details became irrelevant as long is it was better than the worse choice. May’s problem was that she allowed the opportunity for scrutiny. Idiotic. Principled, but idiotic, if the aim is to get Brexit done. Which it now is.