Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 11 Nov 2019, 21:04 (Ref:3940032)   #5626
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I watched my first night race at Brands I thought I'd share this onboard of Jim Pace driving a Daytona Cobra built by Cobra Automotive at last years Daytona Classic at night (this years starts tomorrow with practice). He even narrates it aswell.

https://youtu.be/73Un_wNa2Tk

What a lovely piece of kit to be driving. Got to be a pinch myself moment that.
Old 11 Nov 2019, 22:12 (Ref:3940046)   #5627
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I noticed that Gerry Mo, aka Gérard of this parish, got excited about a Morris Minor in Baubles photo thread, so I sent him details of a Morris Minor owned by a friend of mine, Nick Mann back in my time in the UK doing the Hillclimb thing. He (Gerry Mo) was amazed by the car and said I should tell the rest of you, so here goes.... posted here so as not to sully Bobs photo thread!

Nick had inherited the standard Minor from his Mother when he became old enough to drive. He quickly got bored with the performance of it it so he proceeded to install an MGB engine. He turbocharged it later and then later still replaced the MGB lump with a Rover V8,,,, which he then turbocharged and ultimately added nitrous to it as well. Result = a 600hp Morris Minor.

He would run it in the RAC and other championship hillclimbs and sprints, driving it to the event on the road with the slicks in the car to be fitted before racing. It would spin the rear wheels in top gear in the dry!

I seem to remember it was tested by Autocar or similar mag, and they decided it was the fastest accelerating road registered and road driven car in the UK.

Nick was a brilliant engineer (used to work in R&D at a car manufacturer) and his next project was a Mallock type clubmans car he made , running 4WD, and to which he fitted a Turbocharged BDT which he helped along with a turbine out of a helicopter engine. Basically the turbine would spin the turbo at max revs even when at tickover, so he got zero turbo lag even at tickover, and a huge power band from 2000 ish RPM through to 9000.. Quite a performance to start it but bloody quick.

Found this article and pics of the Morris
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threa...l-1989.312352/

Here is a bit about his helicopter turbine BDT 4WD clubmans car
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oRJVa_pG2A

Here is it leaving the line at Shelsley Walsh Hillclimb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11687nVdzdk
Old 11 Nov 2019, 23:12 (Ref:3940058)   #5628
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
[QUOTE=E.B;3940046]

This link appears to be wrong, well it does on my clockwork laptop
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 11 Nov 2019, 23:27 (Ref:3940062)   #5629
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
[QUOTE=GORDON STREETER;3940058]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post

This link appears to be wrong, well it does on my clockwork laptop
Whoops I copied the wrong link. Try this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu_uBuNsT6c
Old 12 Nov 2019, 03:36 (Ref:3940091)   #5630
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This sounds like an excellent reason to justify spending money on racing.

Probably a bit late for most of us in the Hysterical Forum but might work for one or two of the younger readers at some point.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-eng...ith-depression

Could it be adapted for, say, the male menopause?

Is there some other affliction that might be considered viable as a mutually beneficial reason to go racing? Justifiable mid-life crisis?
Old 12 Nov 2019, 07:19 (Ref:3940107)   #5631
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
E.B, fantastic story about this particular Minor! Can you imagine the old lady driving it again after it became a 600 hp MM? A nice way to discover drive-in shopping quickly*
Old 12 Nov 2019, 07:33 (Ref:3940111)   #5632
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I never quite understood why the 2 CV Citroën is so much related to France, lets say iconic. I think the 4 CV Renault - 750 in some countries, right?- would be a much better choice. The 4 CV is related to first "congés payés" paid vacations allowing the average workers to go and see the sea shore. A little bit political I must confess. The 2CV thing has a direct connection with farmers I'm sure E.B remembers one of our discussions.
Seen from abroad, the Morris Minor IS England being more than iconic. A kind of jewel each family has to keep over the years and centuries. There's been nothing like the Minor!
Old 12 Nov 2019, 08:37 (Ref:3940125)   #5633
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
This sounds like an excellent reason to justify spending money on racing.

Probably a bit late for most of us in the Hysterical Forum but might work for one or two of the younger readers at some point.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-eng...ith-depression

Could it be adapted for, say, the male menopause?

Is there some other affliction that might be considered viable as a mutually beneficial reason to go racing? Justifiable mid-life crisis?
Of course it is .

Obviously for me one words did stick out in your link you provided.

From my experience its great. I think it does echoing what he said give you a way of expressing yourself.

When I was in class and in general life I'd be quiet and say little (still do) but when out on circuit (kart ones) I'd just be free from any judgement or the like and would tear around for half an hour and it would make me feel blooming great and have a sense of achievement. . I have even had a couple of compliments aswell .
Old 12 Nov 2019, 11:15 (Ref:3940142)   #5634
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
alles Gute zum Geburtstag, Rudolf! (That’s according to google translate- sincere apologies if not correct..... )

Many Thanx for all the Birthday Greetings !
I had a wonderful day with family and friends.

Rudolf
Old 12 Nov 2019, 12:56 (Ref:3940158)   #5635
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
As I watched my first night race at Brands I thought I'd share this onboard of Jim Pace driving a Daytona Cobra built by Cobra Automotive at last years Daytona Classic at night (this years starts tomorrow with practice). He even narrates it aswell.
Funny you should mention that! I’ve been talking to a couple of friends about taking cars over to the USA for (possibly) Daytona 24 and others. Anorak fact about the red and polished Morgan SLRs- they have both spent some of their life across the pond, and have even raced against each other at circuits such as Laguna Seca. There's a pic (taken in 1979) in this month’s Morgan club mag of the red car on a two wheel open trailer (very period :laugh) at Laguna, being towed by a (turbocharged) Morgan +8 road car. How cool would it be to go back and replicate the scene.....
Old 12 Nov 2019, 14:10 (Ref:3940170)   #5636
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I never quite understood why the 2 CV Citroën is so much related to France, lets say iconic. I think the 4 CV Renault - 750 in some countries, right?- would be a much better choice. The 4 CV is related to first "congés payés" paid vacations allowing the average workers to go and see the sea shore. A little bit political I must confess. The 2CV thing has a direct connection with farmers I'm sure E.B remembers one of our discussions.
Seen from abroad, the Morris Minor IS England being more than iconic. A kind of jewel each family has to keep over the years and centuries. There's been nothing like the Minor!

great post Gerard,
love the fine distinction between the "Döschewo" and the "Cremeschnittchen"
now, where is the "like" button in this forum....

RuE
Old 12 Nov 2019, 14:21 (Ref:3940171)   #5637
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Over the years I have seen various cars used as tow vehicles and some downright dangerous like a VW Jetta towing a big heavy Yank Tank.
I seem to remember someone using a "Roller" as well at some of the meetings that I did back in the 90s.
Back in the 60/70s I used to tow my race car all over the place here and abroad with an Anglia Van and 2 wheel trailer 4 up with spares !
Lets hear some of you old boys stories
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 12 Nov 2019, 14:28 (Ref:3940172)   #5638
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Funny you should mention that! I’ve been talking to a couple of friends about taking cars over to the USA for (possibly) Daytona 24 and others. Anorak fact about the red and polished Morgan SLRs- they have both spent some of their life across the pond, and have even raced against each other at circuits such as Laguna Seca. There's a pic (taken in 1979) in this month’s Morgan club mag of the red car on a two wheel open trailer (very period :laugh) at Laguna, being towed by a (turbocharged) Morgan +8 road car. How cool would it be to go back and replicate the scene.....
Nice cars, Mike;
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0085.JPG   IMG_0086.JPG   IMG_0109.JPG  

IMG_0074.JPG  
Old 12 Nov 2019, 15:14 (Ref:3940178)   #5639
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Nice cars, Mike;
And even nicer pics! Especially the one with all 3 line astern......

Must have been taken a few years ago Baub, as they’re all on narrower wheels nowadays, thanks to the HTP ‘amendments’.......

Gordon, I can remember a time when it wasn’t unusual to see rally or race cars and trailers in fields, ditches, upside down etc due to the tow car ’losing’ the trailer! Only happened to me once, and fortunately only damage was to trailer itself. Typical example of poor weight distribution leading to ‘the tail wagging the dog’ going down a hill. Actually spun the whole ensemble without hitting another car....... Scared me witless and taught a valuable lesson. Amazing how stable modern trailers and shuttles are in comparison, even without anti snake devices!
Old 12 Nov 2019, 15:51 (Ref:3940187)   #5640
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Never had your problem, Mike, because some kind person educated me on how to distribute the weight properly, before I towed the car for the first time. However, I had a different heart stopping moment when towing.

I was in a hurry to get to Snetterton one early Sunday morning towing the Anglia with a Ford Zodiac. At the end of Six Mile Bottom, I hadn't slowed any where sufficiently to negotiate the roundabout, so made a split second decision to attempt to go straight over it and hope for the best. Luckily, it was a low level roundabout without any guard-rails, shrubbery or signage that was in the way, and I, the Zodiac and the Anglia on the trailer bounced our way across, without any noticeable damage. Did slow down a bit, though!

As for my trailer, it was a fairly high level (for transporting a car) flatbed affair. To load it, someone was required to hold up the tow hitch as high as they could, and I would drive up the trailer slowly until the car just fractionally went over the point of balance, at which point the person holding the hitch up could let go and the front of the trailer would, if done correctly, just gently float down onto an empty 5 gallon oil can that was an essential part of our kit. And then, when the trailer was hitched to the towing vehicle, the Anglia was rolled forward and then chained down before being loaded with all the tools and spares.

Happy days!
Old 12 Nov 2019, 16:49 (Ref:3940198)   #5641
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I seem to remember someone using a "Roller" as well at some of the meetings that I did back in the 90s
I think Malcom Clube used to tow his Sports Racer behind a Roller (maybe a Bentley?) painted matt black back in the mid 70's.

Martin Overington refuelling his supercharged 4.5-litre Bentley complete with the brand new Bentley Continental GT3 car he was towing to Silverstone at the time.

Another good one... dont know who but a Bugatti type 46 towing a Type 35.

Last edited by E.B; 12 Nov 2019 at 16:55.
Old 12 Nov 2019, 17:01 (Ref:3940202)   #5642
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
love the fine distinction between the "Döschewo" and the "Cyemeschnittchen" RuE
Thanks a lot for you nice words and the translation of Deuche! While the Citroën didn't attract so many negative nicknames, the little Renault did! We've been talking about this because the first models were prone to be rolled. Thats why you could spot some, on the side of the road, legs and feet pointing to the sky! Another one was related to the first color introduced, "motte de beurre" you could say, because of the light yellow color.
We have at least one great fan of the Döschewo history, E.B himself!
Old 12 Nov 2019, 17:04 (Ref:3940203)   #5643
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Wunderbach, E.B! We had the visit at Montlhéry of a nice couple of Brits, towing a heavily modified Seven with a Vauxhall ( a real one!). The young man raced his Austin while the Vauxhall was raced by his wife. May be someone on this forum?
Old 12 Nov 2019, 17:53 (Ref:3940210)   #5644
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Just landed in Fuerterventura . Bet you all thought I could not spell that ..Anyone know if there is a race track near by .Bored allready
Old 12 Nov 2019, 18:08 (Ref:3940212)   #5645
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm afraid you can't - there's no R in the middle

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 12 Nov 2019, 18:09 (Ref:3940213)   #5646
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Speaking of trailers, they've been my biggest source of motor sport adventures I could write a whole book!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 12 Nov 2019, 18:19 (Ref:3940216)   #5647
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
..Anyone know if there is a race track near by .Bored allready

Made my day a little better .

This should aswell
Old 12 Nov 2019, 18:27 (Ref:3940220)   #5648
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Just landed in Fuerterventura . Bet you all thought I could not spell that ..Anyone know if there is a race track near by .Bored allready

Your nearest circuit is probably the Karting circuit in Tenerife, just south of the airport......they've also got plans to build a circuit near there but very little has happened on the ground after the initial flurry of optimism.

But a bit of googling suggests there may be a "slalom" on Fuerteventura on the 16th?

https://www.motor2000.net/calficha.php?E=334

There's also a rally on Tenerife that weekend:

https://www.motor2000.net/calficha.php?E=262

Last edited by Lancsbreaker; 12 Nov 2019 at 18:29. Reason: extra info......
Old 12 Nov 2019, 19:06 (Ref:3940225)   #5649
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
See that, Mike??? Iain is the new supporter of your… Canaries!
Old 12 Nov 2019, 19:07 (Ref:3940226)   #5650
Willmaz223
Veteran

Another onboard from Jim Pace narrating. This time a Superformance 1966 Ford GT40 MK2 at Virginia. Some great tracks in America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30oxjjj9WLY

Just listen to that noise...
Closed Thread