Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Feb 2019, 10:52 (Ref:3885928)   #1
Rikki Cann
Racer

England
Rochford Essex
Rikki Cann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PITLANE SPEED UK

Hi Guys,

is there a standard pitlane speed throughout the UK circuits? I have a feeling that some are different.

Any idea what it is?
Old 22 Feb 2019, 11:33 (Ref:3885930)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Normally in the final instructions from Organiser. But if there is a ‘standard’ limit, I’m guessing it will be 60kph.

Edit- seems F1 are allowed 80kph pit lane limit, but all other info after quick search suggests 60kph.....

Last edited by Mike Bell; 22 Feb 2019 at 11:47.
Old 22 Feb 2019, 12:28 (Ref:3885935)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Interesting. I’m now thinking that it is down to individual circuits to decide, but that the majority (if not all) have settled on 60kph for club racing. I can’t recollect racing anywhere in the last few years where it was different. Haven’t found anything in the blue book to confirm (yet ).

Referring to F1 again, I found that last year at Paul Ricard a bulletin was issued to the teams to the effect that the pit lane limit would be 60kph instead of 80kph. This was after concerns were made about the pit lane entry, and for this year it was announced recently that it is being moved to before the last chicane. So guess they will be able to revert to 80kph this year....
Old 22 Feb 2019, 12:35 (Ref:3885937)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Monaco is lower for F1.

I seem to remember a lower limit for a circuit in the UK. However I can’t think which one? I might be wrong, or it was only for one event.

Anyway I have a piece of tape in the car telling me how many revs 60kph is.
Old 22 Feb 2019, 13:15 (Ref:3885944)   #5
Rikki Cann
Racer

England
Rochford Essex
Rikki Cann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Monaco is lower for F1.

I seem to remember a lower limit for a circuit in the UK. However I can’t think which one? I might be wrong, or it was only for one event.

We are on a rolling road next week so thought an ideal time to sort out revs and gear etc to get pitlane speed correct.

Think I will do three, 50/60/70 kph, should be able to judge it from that.

Thanks guys.
Old 22 Feb 2019, 14:15 (Ref:3885949)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Cann View Post
We are on a rolling road next week so thought an ideal time to sort out revs and gear etc to get pitlane speed correct.

Thanks guys.
If you mark rev counter, just remember which gear it refers to! I’ve panicked before now when couldn’t remember if I’d marked for 2nd or 3rd....
Old 22 Feb 2019, 14:22 (Ref:3885950)   #7
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Normally in the final instructions from Organiser. But if there is a ‘standard’ limit, I’m guessing it will be 60kph.

Edit- seems F1 are allowed 80kph pit lane limit, but all other info after quick search suggests 60kph.....
To be pedantic, as is the F1 way for instilling confusion at every opportunity, my understanding is that F1 has different pit lane speed limits for practice and qualifying to the race.... 60kph in practice and qualifying, 80kph during the race.

I have just read elsewhere 60kph for practice and qualy, 100kph for races. Confusion continues.

As mentioned I believe Monaco to be different again.

Last edited by E.B; 22 Feb 2019 at 14:29.
Old 22 Feb 2019, 15:58 (Ref:3885970)   #8
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
think I will do three, 50/60/70 kph, should be able to judge it from that.
Same for me, in kph not mph, and as Mike says precision if its 1 st or 2nd gear…

E.B you've been caught by the brigade at… 2:57 in the morning!!!
If this can help:
http://www.tout-f1.com/toute-l-actu/...ans-les-stands
Yes in French one of two official language…
Old 22 Feb 2019, 17:26 (Ref:3885979)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Thanks guys.
That's a good plan. I did mine theoretically It would be good to check.

Quote:
If you mark rev counter, just remember which gear it refers to! I’ve panicked before now when couldn’t remember if I’d marked for 2nd or 3rd....
I have both 2nd and 3rd.
Old 22 Feb 2019, 17:36 (Ref:3885984)   #10
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Am I alone to use the first gear here? Take care at Spa, they also check your speed both ways. When you have to enter via the F1 pitlane and make your stop in the F3000 pits the small straight descending is free of speed limit if I'm correct… Have to check.
Old 22 Feb 2019, 17:42 (Ref:3885986)   #11
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Am I alone to use the first gear here? Take care at Spa, they also check your speed both ways. When you have to enter via the F1 pitlane and make your stop in the F3000 pits the small straight descending is free of speed limit if I'm correct… Have to check.
You are out of sight for that bit so you can do what you like....
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 22 Feb 2019, 18:03 (Ref:3885991)   #12
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
You are out of sight for that bit so you can do what you like....
You certainly can!
Old 22 Feb 2019, 18:18 (Ref:3885998)   #13
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Hé bien ça, pour chahuter vous vous entendez bien tous les deux!
I'd like to add that you "may"…
Old 22 Feb 2019, 18:22 (Ref:3886001)   #14
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Do you remember when everybody wanted to know Schumi's secret to be so fast with almost the same lap time as his competitors? It appeared that he was faster than any other during his last lap before going in the pits and again in his first lap after. If only it was so simple…
Old 22 Feb 2019, 19:10 (Ref:3886015)   #15
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I’ve raced with another driver that used to treat his in lap for driver change as a cooling down lap. Had to get that sorted....
Old 22 Feb 2019, 20:17 (Ref:3886027)   #16
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Monaco is lower for F1.

Rockingham limit was very low when the C1s were there, whether it applied to all meetings there I don't know.
Old 23 Feb 2019, 10:10 (Ref:3886122)   #17
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
May be its the wrong thread to suggest that speed limit in UK pits should be changed to 37,28/ 49,71/ 62,14. From April… I mean… Have to ask Mike!
Old 24 Feb 2019, 22:55 (Ref:3886399)   #18
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I’ve raced with another driver that used to treat his in lap for driver change as a cooling down lap. Had to get that sorted....
Not me .🙄
Old 25 Feb 2019, 06:13 (Ref:3886425)   #19
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Not me .🙄
Certainly not you, buddy!
Old 25 Feb 2019, 07:46 (Ref:3886433)   #20
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Rockingham limit was very low when the C1s were there, whether it applied to all meetings there I don't know.
To be fair, they probably had to lower the limit for C1s so they could be sure to catch someone. Otherwise it would simply be flat......

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 25 Feb 2019, 07:55 (Ref:3886438)   #21
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
To be fair, they probably had to lower the limit for C1s so they could be sure to catch someone. Otherwise it would simply be flat......
Cruel!
Old 25 Feb 2019, 12:13 (Ref:3886504)   #22
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think Mallory may be lower than 60Kph?
Old 26 Feb 2019, 20:56 (Ref:3886902)   #23
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I think Mallory may be lower than 60Kph?

Just checked - it was 50kph for our CSCC meet there last year