Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 May 2017, 00:58 (Ref:3736533)   #1441
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
You don't have two football matches, two 100m finals, snooker finals, golf masters, etc..., on one weekend.

Again it is the devaluing point. The expression Grand Prix would no longer be relevant. Perhaps F1 should go that way and we can set up a few real prizes that really matter each year?
I remember, when either going to a Grand Prix, or even watching on TV, was a really exciting and special event. Maybe I do have those Rose Tinted spectacles on the end of my nose but these days, with already so many races, the magic isn't really quite there.
Old 28 May 2017, 06:08 (Ref:3736554)   #1442
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
They only have one double-header now in IndyCar. The last time they had more was in 2014, with three. Even so not one driver won both races. The last driver to win both, was Scott Dixon in 2013, at Toronto. However, IndyCar is more random than F1, so the likelihood of an F1 driver winning both is higher.
This isn't a dig at Indycar, but sometimes the way the randomness works out is a little silly. The fuel mileage, pit windows and yellows on ovals and road or street circuits is indeed random. It produces different winners and somehow fits Indycar, but I'm not sure it is right for F1.
Old 28 May 2017, 06:09 (Ref:3736555)   #1443
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I remember, when either going to a Grand Prix, or even watching on TV, was a really exciting and special event. Maybe I do have those Rose Tinted spectacles on the end of my nose but these days, with already so many races, the magic isn't really quite there.
I think that is simply a consequence of over exposure. Both number of races and media drivel.
Old 28 May 2017, 07:12 (Ref:3736570)   #1444
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
This isn't a dig at Indycar, but sometimes the way the randomness works out is a little silly. The fuel mileage, pit windows and yellows on ovals and road or street circuits is indeed random. It produces different winners and somehow fits Indycar, but I'm not sure it is right for F1.
Agreed. I've been saying it for years but indycar current yellow system just messes everything up. You can have someone dominate for 75% of the race and then a yellow comes along (which you get a lot of in America) and suddenly he's 17th and out of contention. That's not much fun because half the race is pointless. If safety cars only happened two or three times a year then ok, but it's every race. Might as well just randomise the grid and half a 30 min sprint.
Old 28 May 2017, 12:42 (Ref:3736654)   #1445
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
In some respects I quite like the randomness, in that it makes things less predictable, something that F1 can't be accused of, particularly in recent years with the dominance of RBR and then Mercedes. A little less predictability might be a good thing for F1.
Old 28 May 2017, 12:44 (Ref:3736655)   #1446
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
In some respects I quite like the randomness, in that it makes things less predictable, something that F1 can't be accused of, particularly in recent years with the dominance of RBR and then Mercedes. A little less predictability might be a good thing for F1.
It would be, but I'd like to see it unpredictable based on performances, rather than a random roll of the dice. Too many times I've watched IndyCar and a yellow puts all the good cars mid pack and it's one by a random car. At that point I'd rather just have a sprint race with a randomised grid, because that's the same effect but more honest about it.

Both have pros and cons I suppose.
Old 28 May 2017, 12:46 (Ref:3736656)   #1447
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
Quote:
I think that is simply a consequence of over exposure. Both number of races and media drivel.
I think over exposure has undoubtedly played a big part and a 30 race calendar isn't going to help.
Old 29 May 2017, 16:13 (Ref:3737166)   #1448
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
All circuit championships with pitstops have issues with caution periods, most notably endurance racing.

F! and FIA WEC have introduced virtual safety car. Lucky cars are those that need a pitstop, rather than cars that have just stopped. But the issue remains.
Old 29 May 2017, 16:49 (Ref:3737174)   #1449
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!
Easy way around that is to close pit lane for regular stops. Allow damage repairs or a fixed amount of fuel.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 11:50 (Ref:3738994)   #1450
Alan52
Veteran

Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To make a race credible the best car/driver combinations should be the ones with the chance of winning.Indycar is a game of pit strategy bingo and seeing mediocrity come out on top so regularly has caused me to lose interest.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 16:25 (Ref:3739038)   #1451
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan has a real shot at the championship!BSchneiderFan has a real shot at the championship!BSchneiderFan has a real shot at the championship!BSchneiderFan has a real shot at the championship!BSchneiderFan has a real shot at the championship!
Autosport are reporting that the Algarve circuit in Portugal is a possibility for a new GP. Can't see it really opens up new markets, but we'll see.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 20:55 (Ref:3739105)   #1452
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Autosport are reporting that the Algarve circuit in Portugal is a possibility for a new GP. Can't see it really opens up new markets, but we'll see.
Algrave is (as of last September) a FIA Grade 2 circuit, so some upgrades would presumably be necessary to host a F1 race. Not sure how extensive/expensive they would be.
Old 6 Jun 2017, 21:30 (Ref:3739111)   #1453
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan has a real shot at the championship!BSchneiderFan has a real shot at the championship!BSchneiderFan has a real shot at the championship!BSchneiderFan has a real shot at the championship!BSchneiderFan has a real shot at the championship!
They've already hosted F1 testing, so I imagine it wouldn't take too much work.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 00:43 (Ref:3739128)   #1454
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
To make a race credible the best car/driver combinations should be the ones with the chance of winning.Indycar is a game of pit strategy bingo and seeing mediocrity come out on top so regularly has caused me to lose interest.
I quite like a bit of the pit strategy bingo but I haven't seen much mediocrity coming out on top, plus there's the variety of circuits, which F1 doesn't have.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 01:00 (Ref:3739129)   #1455
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
Algrave is (as of last September) a FIA Grade 2 circuit, so some upgrades would presumably be necessary to host a F1 race. Not sure how extensive/expensive they would be.
Quote:
They've already hosted F1 testing, so I imagine it wouldn't take too much work.
It had the old Grade 1T rating which the FIA ave now done away with. So I'd suggest the track is up to scratch, and it's either the spectator areas or paddock that need a little attention.