Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 May 2018, 09:15 (Ref:3825173)   #1
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Lewis Hamilton bemoans boring GP race

What a flog. Did he say this after winning races beating everyone by a country mile.

Never stops whinging them poms
Old 28 May 2018, 09:34 (Ref:3825181)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He wasn't the only one. Alonso said much the same thing. As did many of the members here.

No news here at all.
Old 28 May 2018, 10:37 (Ref:3825197)   #3
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It was a boring race. You'd probably be one of the first to complain if he came out saying how exciting and wonderful it was.
Old 28 May 2018, 11:05 (Ref:3825200)   #4
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
What a flog. Did he say this after winning races beating everyone by a country mile. Never stops whinging them poms
And what an entirely predictable post from the OP. Having read the full article on BBC Sport and elsewhere, easy to see what Lewis and Fernando were getting at. And I agree with them...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/44274950
Old 28 May 2018, 11:23 (Ref:3825201)   #5
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think there is a point here. They should know what they are getting themselves in for. I think apart from a reduction in downforce, there’s not much they can do
Old 28 May 2018, 11:28 (Ref:3825203)   #6
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just do what I did

Stop watching it, if more people do, they might do something.
Old 28 May 2018, 11:55 (Ref:3825209)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
tom gaymor got it right on twitter - dunno what people were expecting, it's a massive social event with an almost entirely incidental exhibition race. the highlight is always going to be the qualifying session.
Old 28 May 2018, 12:09 (Ref:3825215)   #8
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
What is Tom Gaymour doing nowadays? I think there’s not a lot that can be done, except reduction in downforce. It’s a great venue and a great challenge. Qualifying is always exciting here
Old 28 May 2018, 12:20 (Ref:3825218)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
he's a commentator on various bits of motorsport on bt and eurosport, iirc.

i agree with you that monaco does work, but can't be seen in the same way as a proper circuit or a normal race. part of me wonders whether it'd be interesting to have it as a standalone race showcasing the technology in the series, but i'm not sure what the practical way of doing that would be,.
Old 28 May 2018, 12:43 (Ref:3825224)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In modern day F1 (or any racing for that matter), it's an anachronism and as others have said, you have to treat it as such. In the absence of pile-ups, barrier indiscretions or botched pit stops, there's rarely anything for the armchair enthusiast to get worked up about. If you go there, on the other hand, I guess it must be very exciting.....
Old 28 May 2018, 12:57 (Ref:3825228)   #11
S griffin
Veteran

F1 could be more exciting, if it wasn’t for increased downforce. We didn’t have much action in Monaco, just a straightforward race and that is fine. I bet it would be great to see in person though
Old 28 May 2018, 13:00 (Ref:3825230)   #12
52Paddy
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
52Paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In fairness, it is pretty rich coming from Hamilton considering his countless dominant performances and resultant 'boring' races in recent years. But whatever. Who cares - I enjoyed the race. Onwards to Canada.
Old 28 May 2018, 13:04 (Ref:3825231)   #13
S griffin
Veteran

I think he’s not appreciating what the race is about. He’s had it easy in the past. But that’s Monaco for you. Let’s hope there’s rain in Canada
Old 28 May 2018, 14:00 (Ref:3825243)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think his main problem was the lack of pace. Danny Ric was controlling the pace from the beginning and when he had his problems he made his car even more wide. That at least provided tension for the speccies but other than that, it is just a social occaision and should be viewed as such.
Old 28 May 2018, 14:29 (Ref:3825247)   #15
52Paddy
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
52Paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I think his main problem was the lack of pace. Danny Ric was controlling the pace from the beginning and when he had his problems he made his car even more wide. That at least provided tension for the speccies but other than that, it is just a social occaision and should be viewed as such.
That's not an excuse. If he wanted more action, he should have quit moaning about his tyres for laps on end and tried to do something about Vettel who was within reach on many occasions. Instead, he's deflecting his inner disappointment about not winning by saying the race was 'boring' and 'slow'. Ricciardo was streets ahead of him today and managed to defend against three world champions for the entire race with an ailing car. If he can't capitalise on Ricciardo's severely hampered performance, that's his problem. Not the track's, not the pace's, not the race's.
Old 28 May 2018, 14:49 (Ref:3825252)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Soo, you'd apply the same to Alonso who also has a similar view?
http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/23...lest-race-ever
Old 28 May 2018, 14:49 (Ref:3825253)   #17
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well of course the race was boring but that is usual for a race around narrow streets at a pace that was set by an injured red bull. I am sure the race will never disappear from the f1 calendar but it is really no longer a race rather a speed test for qualifiying
Old 28 May 2018, 14:57 (Ref:3825254)   #18
S griffin
Veteran

The race was uneventful, as there wasn’t enough going on, but who would have thought Ricciardo would hold on? You can overtake here, to say it’s just a qualifying spectacle is ridiculous
Old 28 May 2018, 16:15 (Ref:3825269)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Paddy View Post
If he can't capitalise on Ricciardo's severely hampered performance, that's his problem. Not the track's, not the pace's, not the race's.
Who are we talking about now - Vettel? And everyone else (pretty much) behind him? No, clearly nothing at all to do with the track...... More passing opportunities than girls wearing glasses.......
Old 28 May 2018, 16:17 (Ref:3825272)   #20
S griffin
Veteran

Vettel was in the right place, but I expected him to go past Ricciardo, but there seemed to be not much going on in the race. There are passing opportunities, just didn’t seem to be much action
Old 28 May 2018, 16:20 (Ref:3825278)   #21
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the tires/number of pit stops were one issue for sure but how much of an effect did the engine allotment rules play here.

i think i am correct in saying that most were running the last leg/race on their PUs at a track that doesnt require much engine power...was pushing really even an option or rather a risk worth taking?

perfect storm of issues really. track, tires, engine life, and an increasingly tighter title battle, no incentive to try an outside the box strategy...cant say i disagree with LH or Alonso on this one.

as for rule changes in Monaco... perhaps allow them to use a fresh PU that doesnt count against their annual allotment and let them put on a show in the one place they really desire to put on a show.

dont know if that will make a difference or not. F1 has other issues that lends itself to processional races but i think this is one that cannot hurt.

fresh engines in Canada should make things a bit more interesting.
Old 28 May 2018, 16:43 (Ref:3825286)   #22
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe they should moan a bit less and get more involved with technical rules formulation to make the racing better?
Old 28 May 2018, 16:46 (Ref:3825289)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Do you think the drivers actually have that opportunity?
Old 28 May 2018, 16:54 (Ref:3825293)   #24
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Do you think the drivers actually have that opportunity?
well they have the ear of the media and can exert considerable pressure that way...unfortunately when they do it just gets dismissed.

drivers like LH and FA are really are best allies in getting the changes we want to see get made. they are drivers who want to be able to drive, overtake, and always fight. they want what we want imo.

unfortunately when they do say something, there is a tendency to dismiss their behaviour as moaning or disloyalty to their teams.

im guilty of the same to be honest...often discounting what they say because of how they say it rather then based on the merits of what they are saying.
Old 28 May 2018, 17:08 (Ref:3825297)   #25
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Just do what I did

Stop watching it, if more people do, they might do something.
You mean to say that if a customer says no thank you, then the seller loses out? And that the seller must adhere to the customers' standards if they are to be successful?

If people really didn't cope with Monaco at all well, don't watch the Canadian Grand Prix. Job done.

These days it would get the message across AND you could even watch it back on catch up TV/record it once you've made your point

Unless catch up/recorded viewings are somehow counted...