Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 30 Oct 2002, 14:29 (Ref:417466)   #1
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Volvo leaves ETCC & STCC

Volvo leaves ETCC
ETCC 30/10/02

FIA European Touring Car Championship promoter KSO has been informed today of Volvo Car Corporations' decision to stop their motorsport works activities for 2003.

During the 2002 season, Volvo was one of the three Manufacturers officially entered to the Championship and the two Prodrive-built S60 cars driven by Rickard Rydell and James Hanson proved to be competitive with the Alfa Romeo and BMW cars. Rydell was classified fifth in the Drivers' Championship, with eight podium results (four second places and four third) out of the series' twenty rounds, and one pole position; Hanson was classified tenth in the Drivers' Championship.

"It's a shame that Volvo decided against continuing the FIA ETCC programme, because they and Prodrive have worked hard to improve. The results are there to prove they all did a good job. I would like to thank Volvo and their motorsport manager Mr. Olle Odsell, for the cooperation they gave us all along the season," KSO general manager Marcello Lotti declared.

Despite the decision taken by Volvo Cars, three Volvo S60s are expected to take part in the 2003 FIA European Touring Car Championship. Volvo Motorsport would be pleased to see the cars run by one or two independent teams and is willing to supply them with cars, engines and spare parts. Contacts are currently undergoing with a number of professional teams and a decision is due to be communicated shortly.

Volvo leaves STCC
STCC 30/10/02

Volvo had decided not only to leave the ETCC but also the STCC. The reason for this decision is lack of funds. "For the coming season big economical efforts would have been demanded to build and run new and competitive cars in both series (ETCC and STCC)," said Olle Axelson from Volvo in a press release. Though Volvo will most likely just like in the ETCC provide private teams with cars, engines and spare parts for competing in the STCC.

Johan Meissner
johan@meissner.se

Last edited by JMeissner; 30 Oct 2002 at 14:37.
Old 30 Oct 2002, 14:46 (Ref:417476)   #2
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"It is really sad that Volvo ends their ETCC programme," said Rickard Rydell disappointed. "We had really a chance to win the championship next year. The car was really good, the only thing missing was engine power and for that Prodrive had a plan ready. I accept Volvo's decision and hope to have continued good relationship. For next year I'm looking at ETCC, BTCC and ALMS. Though it is almost set that I will drive the big GT events at Sebring and 24-hour of LeMans with Prodrive's Ferrari 550."
Old 30 Oct 2002, 15:22 (Ref:417535)   #3
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No doubt part of Ford's worldwide cost cutting exercise.
Old 30 Oct 2002, 15:30 (Ref:417542)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Personally I think the one good possible result of this could be Rydell returning to the BTCC, but Hanson could be left high and dry, and so will the ETCC viewers because a series with only 2 works entrants in its 3rd year doesn't look too promising, even though both fund many cars.
Old 30 Oct 2002, 17:29 (Ref:417676)   #5
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rydell returning to the BTCC would not be a good thing, considering the people who run BTCC haven't bothered with an tv-package that lets people outside England (read: in Sweden) see the races

This sucks. Utterly, and completely.
Old 30 Oct 2002, 18:39 (Ref:417720)   #6
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WHAT??? This is an outrage!! How could Volvo cut ALL their motorsport involvement??? OTOH, perhaps Volvo was also mad at how poorly the ETCC treated? Giving them extra revs, but then saddling them with extra weight?? Sighhh...

Hopefully, Volvo will see the light and change their minds. We should all petition Volvo!!

I wonder if this decision will also keep Minichamps from producing models of the S60 ETCC car.
Old 30 Oct 2002, 18:58 (Ref:417745)   #7
kmchow
Veteran

This is a very sad day for Volvo fans.
Old 30 Oct 2002, 19:02 (Ref:417747)   #8
Thommy
Racer

Germany
Kulmbach, Bavaria
Thommy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"No doubt part of Ford's worldwide cost cutting exercise."
Hmmm, let's create another sense. It is just spinning around, but the 5-cylinder-engine concept seems to be the worst concept but the 4- and 6-cylinders...
There is another great manufactor inside the ford- premier group, which enjoys a great racing- raputation because to one LeMans victory. I am speaking about mazda, the japanese guys had built a 2.0- V6- engine called "Mazda 6". A 6- Cylinder engine seems to be the right gun to the BMW, and the car's style looks like an alfa-killer! So, Ford leaves Volvo at home and send Mazda into the ETCC- battle. Unbelievable? Maybe... Impossible? Never. Financel problems? Not really, i dont't think so...
Old 30 Oct 2002, 20:17 (Ref:417800)   #9
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rustyfan
Rydell returning to the BTCC would not be a good thing, considering the people who run BTCC haven't bothered with an tv-package that lets people outside England (read: in Sweden) see the races

This sucks. Utterly, and completely.
it is shown outside the UK on the french Motors TV channel probably due to the fact that Yvan Muller was competing. I'm sure if Rydell competes in the BTCC next year then there will be coverage on one of the Swedish channels.
Old 30 Oct 2002, 20:28 (Ref:417811)   #10
Thommy
Racer

Germany
Kulmbach, Bavaria
Thommy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But the German fans can't watch it if they haven't got a digitally reciever...
Old 30 Oct 2002, 21:21 (Ref:417850)   #11
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

This is one piece of news I didn't expect. Volvo have been around Touring Cars for yonks, and they look like they've done a "Peugeot" - a combination of choosing the wrong car/and or lack of faith in continuing the programme. I am truly shocked, for once.

Was Rydell only under contract until the end of the this year?
Old 30 Oct 2002, 21:41 (Ref:417871)   #12
Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Veteran

Sim_Da_BTCC_Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe we'll see a volvo ETCC car drift to the BTCC cos costs are much cheaper?
Old 30 Oct 2002, 22:23 (Ref:417938)   #13
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
...and they look like they've done a "Peugeot" - a combination of choosing the wrong car...
I find this completely wrong. The S60 was by far the quickest car in the corners. It lacked engine power, but the engine had potential, I mean it is the same as they have used for all Touring Car racing years...
Old 30 Oct 2002, 22:24 (Ref:417939)   #14
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Maybe we'll see a volvo ETCC car drift to the BTCC cos costs are much cheaper?
It would be quite expensive to rebuild the engine, etc for BTCC rules. I think, as the ETCC press release stated, we will see the three S60's build in the ETCC run privately.
Old 30 Oct 2002, 22:31 (Ref:417950)   #15
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by kmchow
This is a very sad day for Volvo fans.
not just volvo fans but motorsport fans in general. No one whatever the motorsport likes to see manufacturers pull out.
Old 31 Oct 2002, 04:59 (Ref:418159)   #16
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a major suprise, and a huge shame. After all the hard work done this year, makes it a bit of a waste. A big shame for Rydell, he took 2001 off to commit to a future with Volvo.

Wouldn't be getting out the violins for the ETC yet, ALfa and BMW support many cars, plenty of privateers, new manufacturers, Volvo is just gonna miss out on all the fun.
Old 31 Oct 2002, 07:49 (Ref:418201)   #17
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not sure the multi-car culture of the ETCC suit's Volvo's 'style' either. They always seem more comfortable with the BTCC 2 car operation, whereas BMW and Alfa have been prepared to throw loads of cars into the series.

I wouldn't dismiss the financial angle, Ford are losing billions of dollars. They were happy to sacrifice Colin McCrae in the WRC to save cash, they are in the middle of a savage cost cutting campaign in all areas of their business.
Old 31 Oct 2002, 08:00 (Ref:418211)   #18
SFonseca
Veteran

Portugal
Canelas, Portugal
SFonseca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer
No doubt part of Ford's worldwide cost cutting exercise.
Where are the cost cutting exercises in Jaguar F1 program???

Seat will enter a factory team so 3 works entrants!!!
Old 31 Oct 2002, 09:57 (Ref:418263)   #19
Michael H
Racer

Michael H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I think we'll see three independant S60s. Flash will hopefully get the deal. Volvo will then return in 2004, by which time ETCC rules will have got settled.

I hope Rydell drives for one of the new Volvo teams.

One has to note, a said above, SEAT. Then there are the privateer Lexus. The possible Hotfiel Ford Mondeo, the possible Honda Accords, the possible Nissan Primeras

Volvo will return. We just have to hope that the privateer deal becomes reality. And we must support that team well.
Old 31 Oct 2002, 11:10 (Ref:418291)   #20
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Personally I think the one good possible result of this could be Rydell returning to the BTCC, but Hanson could be left high and dry, and so will the ETCC viewers because a series with only 2 works entrants in its 3rd year doesn't look too promising, even though both fund many cars.
I don't see where Rydell would go in the BTCC at present though, unless one of the factory teams are about to part company with an existing driver- maybe Vauxhall if Muller goes to SEAT's rumoured ETCC programme?

This one's bad news all round- I'd guess it pretty much sinks any chance of a Volvo BTCC return in the near future, bearing in mind that they're not even going to run a factory programme at home in Sweden....

Last edited by KA; 31 Oct 2002 at 11:11.
Old 31 Oct 2002, 14:03 (Ref:418517)   #21
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by KA
I don't see where Rydell would go in the BTCC at present though, unless one of the factory teams are about to part company with an existing driver- maybe Vauxhall if Muller goes to SEAT's rumoured ETCC programme?
Vauxhall keep drivers
BTCC 30/10/02

The Vauxhall team has decided to keep their driver line-up of Yvan Müller and James Thompson. This ends the speculations of Yvan Müller signing for Seat to drive in the ETCC. The deal will be revealed tomorrow at the Motorsport show in Birmingham according to Autosport.

Johan Meissner
johan@meissner.se
Old 31 Oct 2002, 21:59 (Ref:418899)   #22
kmchow
Veteran

It seems that everyone believes it's largely due to Ford budget cutbacks. No one thinks has to do with the poor engine/transmission/weight rulings by the ETCC that angered Volvo? After developing a S2000 S60, Volvo is forced to quickly redesign a car for the downgraded production series?

Can someone refresh my memory? Was the S2000 rules already decided by the ETCC working group? Or did Volvo perhaps gamble on them being accepted? Or did BMW change their minds last minute and instead wanted the production gearbox/etc... rules?
Old 31 Oct 2002, 22:23 (Ref:418926)   #23
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Peter S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To me there seems to be a lot of question marks over the ETCC. It seems to me that BMW have to much power in it all, just like Ferrari in formula 1. Unless the regs suit BMW then they just threaten to pull out. Also the ETCC hasnt been that good this year. There seems to be a lot of uncertainty over the future regs, as they seem to be able to change at any time. It surprising how many people view the ETCC to be a support to the FIA GT's

The cars dont look as good as the BTCC. The racing in the ETCC hasnt been that to crash hot either as there wasnt as much overtaking as seen as in the BTCC.
Old 31 Oct 2002, 22:25 (Ref:418927)   #24
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It would probably be the Autosport site I read this on, but apparently Volvo intended to enter 6 cars this year, before all the rule changes took place.

Whether they really intended to run 6 cars, or the rule change was an excuse not to, nobody will ever know really.
Old 31 Oct 2002, 22:47 (Ref:418936)   #25
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Peter S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that was just media hype, trying to encourage others to join the championship. At the start of the year the FIA had demanded 18 cars to be on the grid for the championship, which required the 3 manufacturers to have 6 cars each. So i think the 6 car thing was just an assumption by the media. This was because Nissan didnt commit to the championship and needed a certain level of manufacturer support. As cars came from hyped up super prods, like the two nissans, Honda Civic Type R-s (JAS) and other local entries, Volvo could commit with just the two cars. The inconsistancy in the rules, will be why the championship wont succeed. The way forward is to to have national championships running identical rules with the end of season world cup. The BTCC is much more competitive, fairer and the identical wings lead to more entertaing racing. I couldnt belive the last round at Estoril. 3 cars sat nose to tail for 3 laps and no one could overtake. With the coverage being live it doesnt make for much of a spectacle.