Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Mar 2008, 11:32 (Ref:2146264)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Tyre markings

Bridgestone (in conjunction with the teams) have announced that they will now be marking the 'extreme' wet weather tyre in the same way that the 'softer' dry tyre is marked.This is designed to help (or further confuse) us race fans.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65520

Last edited by Marbot; 7 Mar 2008 at 11:35.
Old 7 Mar 2008, 11:34 (Ref:2146266)   #2
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Oh good, something else for James Allen to remind us of repeatedly...
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 7 Mar 2008, 11:38 (Ref:2146271)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
OH NO! I forgot about that!
Old 7 Mar 2008, 11:41 (Ref:2146273)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For the love of god, why?!?
Old 7 Mar 2008, 11:45 (Ref:2146277)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
For the love of god, why?!?
Well,there was often confusion (mostly in the commentary box) when it was raining and drivers were changing tyres.
Old 7 Mar 2008, 11:46 (Ref:2146278)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That is what happens when you have contrived rules.
Old 7 Mar 2008, 11:47 (Ref:2146280)   #7
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
We hope this change will enable spectators of the sport to have a clearer understanding of the strategies used by all 11 Formula One teams when racing in the wet.
Brilliant. Like we need a clue when they're on the extreme wets, or not. Poor Bridgestone, feeling a bit left out.
Old 7 Mar 2008, 11:49 (Ref:2146281)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff
Brilliant. Like we need a clue when they're on the extreme wets, or not.
There you go again! Thinking that we're the only ones that watch it.
Old 7 Mar 2008, 11:53 (Ref:2146282)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

We should be.

Go away casual fans, you are destroying the sport.
Old 7 Mar 2008, 11:59 (Ref:2146288)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Unfortunately F1 isn't going to last too long if it only panders to the whims of a couple of thousand 'certified petrol heads'.

I wonder how they'll mark the tyres next season?

Last edited by Marbot; 7 Mar 2008 at 12:06.
Old 7 Mar 2008, 12:11 (Ref:2146297)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Maybe we'll see them fairly soon.

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/...in-down-under/
Old 7 Mar 2008, 12:25 (Ref:2146307)   #12
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Has there ever been a wet race in Melbourne? I can't recall any, although it would be interesting if it rained at the first post-TC race.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 7 Mar 2008, 12:28 (Ref:2146308)   #13
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rain on Saturday in 2005. But for the race, can't remember.
Old 7 Mar 2008, 12:45 (Ref:2146313)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

The race has never been properly wet according to this note attached to the inside of my anorak. Although it was a damp start in 2003.

Plenty of the other sessions have been damp.
Old 7 Mar 2008, 14:37 (Ref:2146349)   #15
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Did you see this one:

"In its efforts to keep the casual F1 fan aware of all choices made by teams during the course of a race; the FIA announced today another rules change for 2008. All cars will be fitted with a small blue light on the rear of the bodywork which when lit will indicate the driver needs to relieve himself. Adjacent to the blue lamp with be a small yellow light which when lit will indicate that he did."

Anything else we need to know from the grandstands or telly?

Old 7 Mar 2008, 15:16 (Ref:2146368)   #16
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think we know (doubt if Martin and James do) that when it's a light drizzle it's inter's and when it's ****ing down it's extreme's, not that bloody hard, the soft/hard compound marker is good but as far as the exteme's not needed.
Old 7 Mar 2008, 20:05 (Ref:2146510)   #17
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer
i think we know (doubt if Martin and James do)
Martin does. James i am not so sure about. Although he is now gradually understanding what an in-lap is.
Old 7 Mar 2008, 22:03 (Ref:2146575)   #18
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If they are doing this, maybe they could show it on the TV overlays (as well as who is on hards and who is on softs) ...
Old 8 Mar 2008, 00:38 (Ref:2146639)   #19
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why not go the whole hog and have the entire tyres different colours.
Red Yellow Blue Green for the Four compounds,
white for inters
Black for Wet since they most resemble something the "casual fan" can identify with, namely having a proper tread pattern just like a road car tyre.

Old 8 Mar 2008, 03:47 (Ref:2146689)   #20
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer
i think we know (doubt if Martin and James do) that when it's a light drizzle it's inter's and when it's ****ing down it's extreme's, not that bloody hard, the soft/hard compound marker is good but as far as the exteme's not needed.
Yes, because theres only ever 2 degrees of rain. Hungary '06 half the grid started on wets whilst the rest were on extremes. Nurburgring last year there was Markus Winkelhock starting on extremes whilst everyone else was on dry tyres! And of course Fuji last year Ferrari tried to start the race on wets when the rest of the grid had started on extremes as instructed. Clearly nothing is certain as to what tyres the cars will be using.

Most casual fans wont be able to recognise wets has having the central groove, and its clear Bernie is interested in money rather than heritage so its these casual fans he'll be catering towards.
Old 8 Mar 2008, 11:16 (Ref:2146825)   #21
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JA: "I'm not sure whether he's using the soft or the extreme wets Martin!"
MB: "Well James, it's ****ing it down with rain, so i'd imagine it's the extreme wets."

Future James Allen cock up there.
Old 8 Mar 2008, 12:12 (Ref:2146853)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Makes me think of that horrible Brazilian GP where each stop brought the debate of "time to change to slicks Martin?" as the rain continued to chuck it down, a river consuming turn three.
Old 8 Mar 2008, 13:27 (Ref:2146895)   #23
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
JA: 'Do you *splutter* think it's *cough* time to *gasp* change to *splutter* slicks Martin?'

MB: 'BANG!'
Old 9 Mar 2008, 01:55 (Ref:2147219)   #24
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I have always found looking at the tyres at slow(er) points made it clear which tyres people were on: plus car behaviour and laptimes (especially for figuring how worn they may be).

I also don't think we need the white lines for compound distinction: it can be worked out without overly much effort. If the casual fan is unwilling to make the effort to learn how to read things, then that is there problem. Whenever I've started getting into a new series, or what have you, I've never expected stuff to be done to make my life easier: I have just made the effort to learn things in order to understand.

Oh, well: it is what it is, I guess.
Old 9 Mar 2008, 11:18 (Ref:2147429)   #25
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
TBH I don't mind the white lines at all.If the so called 'experts' can be confused then so can I.

Sometimes the director will fail to spot someone pitting or simply ignore that they have pitted because they aren't figuring in the lead battle.But as we all know with wet races it's often the cars further down the field that can benefit from a well timed (read lucky) pit stop.

Sometimes I wonder exactly what it is that James and Martin are watching.What they need is a bigger screen a couple of 'comfy' armchairs with maybe a couple of cans of beer each and a 'sarny'.