GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just ordered the book, lets see his reasoning behind some of his placings
Old 3 Mar 2008, 23:37 (Ref:2143684)   #127
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, then tell us, I can't hardly wait...
Old 4 Mar 2008, 11:47 (Ref:2144060)   #128
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm just delighted Chris Amon has been so highly rated - Alan Henry's view is similar to my own, although I'd have put him in the Top 10. I guess alot of people on this forum never saw Amon race, but how he never won a Grand Prix or indeed the World Title is still a mystery!
Old 4 Mar 2008, 15:53 (Ref:2144223)   #129
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And there you probably have the problem. We tend to view things so narrowly that a top 100 from someone as respected as AH gets bagged because we can't draw on the experience he has. I remember disagreeing with DSJ when he said that in his opionion Senna was the greatest ever. But in the end his reasoning was interesting even if I still disagree with it.

These books are designed to provoke discussion so I'll buy it.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 15:59 (Ref:2144229)   #130
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What an appalling attitude Peter. I can't believe you are spending good money on a book that you might disagree with.

That money could be donated to orphans or something.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 16:03 (Ref:2144235)   #131
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Er, yes you're right. I'll also spend some more money on my racing car, just in case someone thinks I care about orphans.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 21:37 (Ref:2144468)   #132
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
please sir can i have some more....?

thought not!

anyway bloody amazon are out of stock so ill have to wait a week and a half for my book, and the other things i ordered along with it!
Old 4 Mar 2008, 23:27 (Ref:2144546)   #133
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolddustMini
anyway bloody amazon are out of stock so ill have to wait a week and a half for my book, and the other things i ordered along with it!
Unbelievable ! Alan Henry's managed to hoodwink so many people into buying this book that he's cleared the shelves at Amazon... his ploy of resorting to controversy's worked
Old 5 Mar 2008, 00:47 (Ref:2144577)   #134
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's the way to sell books...
Old 5 Mar 2008, 00:57 (Ref:2144585)   #135
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
That's the way to sell books...
Well, I did say earlier on in the thread... my work involves the publishing industry and I've seen this done time and again.
Old 5 Mar 2008, 01:16 (Ref:2144593)   #136
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
His next book will be 'The top 100 F1 cars',followed by 'The top 100 F1 tracks',followed by 'The top 100 yachts' and 'The top 100 mansions'.
Old 5 Mar 2008, 08:57 (Ref:2144753)   #137
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
His next book will be 'The top 100 F1 cars',followed by 'The top 100 F1 tracks',followed by 'The top 100 yachts' and 'The top 100 mansions'.
His actual next book (written in his bunker under Salman Rushdie's safe-house) is sure to be even more controversial.

Top 100 Schumachers in motorsport

1. Tony Schumacher
2. Ralf Schumacher
3. Michael Schumacher

And remember guys, it's just one man's opinion.
Old 5 Mar 2008, 09:54 (Ref:2144780)   #138
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
Well, I did say earlier on in the thread... my work involves the publishing industry and I've seen this done time and again.
It's just good marketing - can't really complain about it, that's the publisher's job. I'm still looking forward to reading it, whether the whole thing's a marketing ploy or not...I must know how Jarno Trulli got anywhere near somebody's top 100 F1 drivers.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 5 Mar 2008, 11:59 (Ref:2144860)   #139
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
I must know how Jarno Trulli got anywhere near somebody's top 100 F1 drivers.
Well, Ralf's there - and Jarno made a habit of embarassing him at Toyota over the years so I would assume he's there by deduction.
Old 5 Mar 2008, 12:07 (Ref:2144867)   #140
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
I must know how Jarno Trulli got anywhere near somebody's top 100 F1 drivers.
By all accounts he produces a good bottle of wine... probably a good enough justification for AH
Old 5 Mar 2008, 12:14 (Ref:2144870)   #141
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Well, Ralf's there - and Jarno made a habit of embarassing him at Toyota over the years ...
Jarno scored less points for Toyota than Ralf did , and had 4 or 5 more races for them.. trully the best way to embarrass someone
Old 5 Mar 2008, 12:15 (Ref:2144872)   #142
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Well, Ralf's there - and Jarno made a habit of embarassing him at Toyota over the years so I would assume he's there by deduction.
I doubt Ralf was ever embarrassed by Jarno "One win" Trulli...
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 5 Mar 2008, 13:56 (Ref:2144929)   #143
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And yet Chris "winless" Amon rightfully eclipsed both of them and Hamilton inconceivably slots in above Alonso, so success is clearly not part of Henry's reasoning.
Old 5 Mar 2008, 14:33 (Ref:2144943)   #144
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Which is why we all need to go out and buy the book to find out exactly why each driver is where he is.
Old 5 Mar 2008, 14:50 (Ref:2144948)   #145
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
Schumacher is statistically the greatest.
No, statistically Lee Wallard is the greatest.
Old 5 Mar 2008, 14:52 (Ref:2144950)   #146
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Which is why we all need to go out and buy the book to find out exactly why each driver is where he is.
Henry said a couple of interesting things on the radio show the other night.

I think someone was querying why John Watson was 86th when Niki Lauda was 20th. He said that apart from results, which would favour Lauda anyway, he had also tried to put a value on how much each driver had actually put into the sport or, in some cases, taken away from it. Lauda nearly gave his life and then recovered to win two more World Championships. The same sort of argument applies to Mika Hakkinen.

The reverse case is Fernando Alonso. After seemingly being astride the F1 world at the end of 2006, Henry clearly took exception to his behaviour last year. In fact I'm surprised he wasn't ranked lower, but the most cutting remark was that in his opinion Alonso will never win another Grand Prix. 'Never' is a dangerous word to use in motor racing, when you never what might happen, but that's what he said.
Old 5 Mar 2008, 15:53 (Ref:2144986)   #147
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
That's very interesting, and demonstrates exactly how personal the compilation of a list like this one is. For some, the top 100 drivers would just be an analysis of statistics and records, and a driver like Schumacher would be in the top 5 at least. Obviously Henry is looking at something much more difficult to quantify, which is why the list is so controversial. I'm very intrigued to find out more about his choices (and I have no problem admitting that that's why I'm buying it!).
Old 5 Mar 2008, 16:01 (Ref:2144991)   #148
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I doubt Trulli was ever embarrassed by Ralf "let's drive into the inside barrier of Tabac" Schumacher either.

They were much of a muchness really. I think Trullli was potentially much quicker than Ralf, but he was more up and down. Ralf did score more points, but Trulli got the bigger results and more quickly too.

Still, both never really hit top form all the time when together at Toyota.
Old 5 Mar 2008, 16:03 (Ref:2144993)   #149
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
I'd spend the fifteen quid on something like Cimarosti's overview of the entire history of the sport and make up my own mind instead. It's pretty much down to personal preference whether you (say) rank Alberto Ascari ahead of Niki Lauda, their achievements were comparable and they were seen as the undisputed number one driver for a while...
Old 5 Mar 2008, 16:58 (Ref:2145031)   #150
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Why not have them both?