Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 16 Aug 2018, 11:04 (Ref:3843978)   #1051
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
Gary achieved it with fewer cars though.
Only one less, anyway good luck to Carl Boardley.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 13:58 (Ref:3844009)   #1052
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
engines are flow tested and equalised. nothing to do with straightline speed.
Equalised with each other (other engines) or against some kind of calculation based on chassis performance as well? Isnt that why in the past the Honda had one of the weakest engines because its chassis was "so good"?
Old 16 Aug 2018, 14:08 (Ref:3844010)   #1053
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Equalised with each other (other engines) or against some kind of calculation based on chassis performance as well? Isnt that why in the past the Honda had one of the weakest engines because its chassis was "so good"?
years ago they tried some sort of lap time equalisation method but now its just engines equalised. nothing to do with chassis performance.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 17:49 (Ref:3844305)   #1054
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
https://www.mattsimpsonracing.com/si...Simpson-Racing

Geoff Kingston will engineer Mat Simpson's car
Old 17 Aug 2018, 18:12 (Ref:3844311)   #1055
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post

The reason he left HARD before snetterton?

Have #teamsimo been playing the long game on this?
Old 17 Aug 2018, 18:31 (Ref:3844317)   #1056
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Chicken or egg?

Did Kingston leave HARD knowing he had a place with Simpson, or did Kingston leaving HARD prompt Simpson to branch out on his own?

Would explain the unusual timing of Simpson's move.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 18:49 (Ref:3844322)   #1057
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Have #teamsimo been playing the long game on this?
I don't believe it was Kingston's decision to "leave" Team HARD.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 18:57 (Ref:3844324)   #1058
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I don't believe it was Kingston's decision to "leave" Team HARD.
Id expect not otherwise we would see another Jake Hill style contract battle.

That said im surprised any severance agreement didnt involve him not working for a rival this year
Old 17 Aug 2018, 19:30 (Ref:3844342)   #1059
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
Id expect not otherwise we would see another Jake Hill style contract battle.

That said im surprised any severance agreement didnt involve him not working for a rival this year
I think Geoff works for the teams as a consultant, so isn’t actually employed by them but contracted by them. I know Ingram said they were using him less and less last year hence why he went to work for HARD. Without sponsorship money involved and a commercial contract it would be a lot easier for either party to end the deal and no ‘gardening leave’ required.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 19:35 (Ref:3844343)   #1060
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post

For his sake I hope he doesn't start telling young Matt that the setup worked for Tingram, he won etc.

Was GK involved with Simpsons car the year it was run out of Speedworks?
Old 17 Aug 2018, 19:42 (Ref:3844345)   #1061
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiiiiiim View Post
I think Geoff works for the teams as a consultant, so isn’t actually employed by them but contracted by them. I know Ingram said they were using him less and less last year hence why he went to work for HARD. Without sponsorship money involved and a commercial contract it would be a lot easier for either party to end the deal and no ‘gardening leave’ required.
Yes - I the think Denridge engineering would be the organisation that HARD would have their agreement with, and would probably resist being tied to not working elsewhere if an agreement ends.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 19:47 (Ref:3844346)   #1062
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
For his sake I hope he doesn't start telling young Matt that the setup worked for Tingram, he won etc.

Was GK involved with Simpsons car the year it was run out of Speedworks?
Not sure if he was involved directly, but was working with the team so Simpson would have been exposed to him at least.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 20:24 (Ref:3844359)   #1063
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Great move by Simpson. Geoff helped develop Tingram and Colin, now he can do the same hopefully for Simpson
Old 17 Aug 2018, 20:43 (Ref:3844360)   #1064
sceptic
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Great move by Simpson. Geoff helped develop Tingram and Colin, now he can do the same hopefully for Simpson
He did nothing for Bushell, Hill or Thompson though - one quit and the other two have only started scoring points since Kingston went.
Old 18 Aug 2018, 15:15 (Ref:3844469)   #1065
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Yip. Big fail at HARD; pity is it seemed to take Jake walking away for Tony to wake up and take some action.
Old 18 Aug 2018, 16:50 (Ref:3844487)   #1066
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
He did nothing for Bushell, Hill or Thompson though - one quit and the other two have only started scoring points since Kingston went.

So, your point being? I seem to remember Tingram saying he owes a lot to Geoff and I remember him when he was engineering Colin, they both really enjoyed working together
Old 18 Aug 2018, 22:24 (Ref:3844543)   #1067
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
So, your point being? I seem to remember Tingram saying he owes a lot to Geoff and I remember him when he was engineering Colin, they both really enjoyed working together
Tom comes across humble about everything, owes it all to him but speedworks are doing ok without him and didnt rush to get him back.
Old 19 Aug 2018, 07:19 (Ref:3844563)   #1068
S griffin
Veteran

But he did help Tingram develop as a driver
Old 19 Aug 2018, 11:30 (Ref:3844608)   #1069
sceptic
Veteran

Quote:
My point is that at the end of last year HARD were claiming that getting Geoff on board was going to propel them up the grid.

It didn't.
Old 19 Aug 2018, 12:57 (Ref:3844642)   #1070
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
My point is that at the end of last year HARD were claiming that getting Geoff on board was going to propel them up the grid.

It didn't.
The other factor is that Speedworks had proper funding in place for development. Team HARD we’re looking for a magic bullet on less funding. The development and improvements took a few seasons at Speedworks, so the whole process was longer term.
Old 19 Aug 2018, 13:03 (Ref:3844645)   #1071
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:

It didn't.
IIRC, it was 3yrs before consistent results appeared at Speedworks. Why do we think that timescale would be massively reduced at another team?
Old 19 Aug 2018, 14:50 (Ref:3844676)   #1072
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
IIRC, it was 3yrs before consistent results appeared at Speedworks. Why do we think that timescale would be massively reduced at another team?
3 years for a one car team, so 1 year for a 4-car team should be no problem.
Old 19 Aug 2018, 15:24 (Ref:3844688)   #1073
Racer65
Racer

Racer65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It wasn't "we" saying that though. It was Team HARD.

Quote:
“We both have the same drive and determination, as well as a winning mentality that has brought us together for 2018. We both believe that we will arrive at race one of the season with a package capable of rivalling any team on the grid. This is another clear statement of our intent and having had Geoff involved for just a few days so far, it is quite clear that we will make a significant step as he will take us to the next level and improve us in all areas."
Don't recall them having a car that can rival any team on the grid this year.
Old 19 Aug 2018, 16:17 (Ref:3844705)   #1074
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer65 View Post
It wasn't "we" saying that though. It was Team HARD.

Don't recall them having a car that can rival any team on the grid this year.
Read carefully what they say. They don't refer to the car, but the 'package'.

They also say that they will make improvements, but no timescale is given.

The idea that the car will be the best performing at the start of the season is an interpretation of what is written, not what they actually said.

Package - car, engineers, finance, drivers, sponsors, experience.
Improvements - will be made, at some ungiven time in the future.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 07:46 (Ref:3844896)   #1075
Racer65
Racer

Racer65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see any real improvement in normal races over any other seasons. I can't be bothered to crunch the numbers but the perception is definitely that's there no big change.

Just seems a strange thing to blame fans for having high expectations when the team has built those expectations up in the first place.