Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 11 Oct 2022, 18:47 (Ref:4129937)   #2776
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's what makes it perplexing, Gérard

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 11 Oct 2022, 18:55 (Ref:4129940)   #2777
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
WELL DONE!
You are the only one to pick up on this mistake...
Told you it was perplexing....

This winter's work will be quite light.
A small list of diy jobs to do and then the car is off to McClurg Motorsport for a full suspension geometry check and reset where required, Sean sure knows his stuff.
It has been a great season and here I am 12 months on from when I stripped the engine and all that 'game' started.

It has been confirmed I have won the Class in the Midland Championship in 2022, and the 5th time my name is stamped on the silverware, so very chuffed.

I wonder what 2023 will deliver.
I am sure the TVR/ Mike Luck will be coming out to get me, and possibly a keen young driver with a fabulous Norma sports racer prepped by Tom New who is wizard, he engineers the winner of the British Hillclimb Championship no less.

This year I really wanted this award, to justify the £10K ticket of the engine etc, but 5 times feels so good.

Not sure how many more years I will run, I'm 70 now and definitely creaking everywhere, dealing with trailers is a pain in the ar+e.

However, the wife is keen to keep going!

Very soon this thread will hit 1,000,000 hits for goodness sakes, I can't let you all down!
Old 12 Oct 2022, 10:55 (Ref:4130012)   #2778
Gerard C
Veteran

French Polynesia
My place
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
That's what makes it perplexing, Gérard

Graham you're right about the Norma, those are really good cars.The ones we had here were mainly mated to a Honda two liter engine, a lot of power (around 300) but may be not as user friendly as your Porsche unit.

As to your trailer if no one gives hand you'll find electric motors to help and even a remote command. https://www.caravancampingsales.com....coming-123096/
No excuse not to go now!
Old 12 Oct 2022, 13:37 (Ref:4130027)   #2779
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Norma is a very modern design over the Lola, daresay the driver is too!

The trailer already has a mover and winch on it in the vein of 'work smarter than harder'.
I doubt we could have the hilclimb 'thing' more worked out than we have already.
I'm still suffering from joint pains and a very difficult right foot problem that makes me hobble. Top of the winter 'To Do' list is to fix these probs if I can over the next 6 months.

Just back from a 2 week driving tour of north/mid France, feel better already!

Nice car, nice hotels always work for us.

This would be our next hillclimb car when/if the Lola has to go.

Old 12 Oct 2022, 22:34 (Ref:4130074)   #2780
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Bah humbug! I thought much like you on reaching 70 yet here I am 3 years on, having just completed my second Spa 6 Hours and looking forward to the season closer which is my 7th Race of Remembrance. Anglesey host us for 12 hours split over Saturday and Sunday - when it's not dark it will be gloomy and when it's not raining sideways off the Irish Sea it soon will be. And always cold. But most of us old-boy racers believe if you stop you simply fade away and die. I'm not volunteering to test that theory!
Graham, if the bones creak try a week - two is better - of decent heat in the winter; somewhere like Sharm or Hurghada or even southern Spain where you can just loll about in the sun interspersed with a swim or a massage. Works for me, it was 29 degrees in Almeria today and we are heading there in the morning.
Old 17 Oct 2022, 16:08 (Ref:4130617)   #2781
911thillclimber
Veteran

Yes David, you are right, Just Get On With It comes to mind.

With that thought, the tinkering with the Lola has started.
The list is tiny compared to 12 months ago!

The hub at the rear is the big issues, so started there and had a lot of luck over the last few days. The hub back face is now machined flat and true, new wheel drive pegs machined and installed, al all the brakes etc all line up!
That was a surprise!

I'll let the few pics do the talking:

Old 9 Nov 2022, 19:02 (Ref:4133128)   #2782
911thillclimber
Veteran

Took the Lola down to Sean at McClurg motorsport for a check over since the last demon set-up 10 years or so ago.

We dropped it off and went to the Garden Centre, and returned a few hours later. It was 'OUT', i suspect my rumble strip rattles were not kind let along a million strap downs to the trailer and a few adventures off roading along the way...

As ever, all dialed in cock-on and some homework to do.
Sean always gives me homework to do!

I now feel very confident to have a great chassis again all fresh and accurate!

Oh, and I hate the M1/M42/M6 and any road in the UK after 6 hours fighting traffic and close-quarters with lorries and vans and hire vans.

Still all done, so after my homework a few small things to do and an oil change and we are ready for 2023!

Oh, I love this car.
Old 10 Nov 2022, 09:24 (Ref:4133160)   #2783
911thillclimber
Veteran

how to screenshot on windows
Old 10 Nov 2022, 11:55 (Ref:4133172)   #2784
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Hopefully you will have a less stressful closed season this year.
(But at least your results made all of the hard work worth-while)
Old 10 Nov 2022, 15:32 (Ref:4133202)   #2785
911thillclimber
Veteran

This winter will be VERY stree-free in comparison to 12 months ago!

With the Lola now under a cloth cover for 3 months or so, my old classic 911 also in a similar position, I have decided to fully restore a 1949 Humber gents touring bicycle with 2 gears missing from it's Sturmy Archer gear hub, plus everything is rusty...

Got to have a challenge!
Old 10 Nov 2022, 19:23 (Ref:4133219)   #2786
Gerard C
Veteran

French Polynesia
My place
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911thillclimber View Post
It was 'OUT', i suspect my rumble strip rattles were not kind let along a million strap downs to the trailer and a few adventures off roading along the way...
How true this is, if the use of strong straps is a necessity sometimes we dont care as we shouldabout how to place them. On a touring car (tin top for you may be?) it can bend the steering rack!

Fix a damaged gear hub will keep your brain busy more than expected, what a headache it can be! Bonne chance avec cette bicyclette, Graham!