Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 19 Sep 2007, 21:30 (Ref:2018312)   #26
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Did the BTCC teams actually get allowed in the Pit Garages to use as a base, or were they not out in the outer paddock.
Old 20 Sep 2007, 11:19 (Ref:2018795)   #27
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They were based in the outer paddock and had to bring all their equipment across. With the CART mini-pitwall in front of the garages, it made for a very narrow pitlane!
Old 20 Sep 2007, 14:41 (Ref:2018960)   #28
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Well, the BTCC managed at Brands back in '03 when they had to share with CART - and them days they had the pit stops too.

It's certainly not impossible.
I seem to remember an awful lot of bleatng from team owners and the media about the way they were treated at Brands. Wake up boys and girls... it's a Champcar meeting that you're guesting at, not the other way around. I suspect that those same people still have delusions of grandeur about the BTCC.
Old 20 Sep 2007, 14:47 (Ref:2018968)   #29
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sally
Have you spotted the other clash??

DTM are at Brands when the BTCC are at Silverstone!!!
One possible solution is to run the BTCC-races not on sunday afternoon, but at saturdayevening.
Old 20 Sep 2007, 14:51 (Ref:2018975)   #30
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
I seem to remember an awful lot of bleatng from team owners and the media about the way they were treated at Brands. Wake up boys and girls... it's a Champcar meeting that you're guesting at, not the other way around. I suspect that those same people still have delusions of grandeur about the BTCC.
tbh, in the UK it WAS ChampCar supporting BTCC, or at least equal billing. I'm betting more people have heard of the BTCC than ChampCar in the UK!
Old 20 Sep 2007, 14:53 (Ref:2018979)   #31
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Don't think so, Alfa Fan. Else why would there have been so many people whining?
Old 20 Sep 2007, 16:54 (Ref:2019057)   #32
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
It might have been the BTCC/TOCA package but it was very quickly evident that Champcar were running the show. You only had to see the long and somewhat disgruntled queue at the media sign-on desk being told they didn't have any accreditation or the right pass to realise this wasn't a normal BTCC meeting.
Old 20 Sep 2007, 17:11 (Ref:2019068)   #33
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Which is precisely why they'd not consider 'sharing' a meeting these days
Old 21 Sep 2007, 19:54 (Ref:2020031)   #34
Koulle
Racer

United Kingdom
Koulle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The WTCC Brands race for 2008 looks likely to switch dates with Valencia so that doesn't seem to be a problem.

As for the other clashes, I agree that they should be avoided but sometimes it can be difficult to do that.
Old 21 Sep 2007, 21:36 (Ref:2020111)   #35
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer_ni
I see, i have to say im very disapointed to hear that. Thanks PDS!
Another year then unfortunately without a good quality overseas series visiting Mondello to add a bit of spice. With Ireland being able to host a round of the world rally championship one would think that a financial package would be available to attract top quality circuit race events. I wonder why the will or enthusiasm is not there...
Old 22 Sep 2007, 09:13 (Ref:2020296)   #36
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koulle
As for the other clashes, I agree that they should be avoided but sometimes it can be difficult to do that.
The other clashes aren't really that important - in terms of spectator numbers they are pretty small.

The events you really need to avoid clashing with are the Renault Festival at Donington Park, Le Mans and the Goodwood Festival of Speed - each of these will get 100,000 UK fans, and anything which goes up against them is going to suffer.

The 2008 calendar avoids Le Mans and Renault Festival. Goodwood date still to be announced, but I'd expect it to be the final weekend in June, so looks like they aren't clashing there either.
Old 8 Oct 2007, 14:59 (Ref:2035004)   #37
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Story on BTCC.net confirms Giovanardi has signed for 2008 with Vauxhall.
Old 8 Oct 2007, 15:12 (Ref:2035010)   #38
Aunt Sally
Veteran

Aunt Sally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just need to know who his team mate will be as it seem certain that Chilton won't be staying!
Old 8 Oct 2007, 16:23 (Ref:2035066)   #39
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
James Thompson?
Old 8 Oct 2007, 16:28 (Ref:2035072)   #40
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Beat you to that one :P

http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....&postcount=193

But, er, a non-shock return by Thommo would be possible. Maybe running a third Vectra for Rob Huff in any non-conflicting with WTCC dates? Prolly that one's just wishful thinking.
Old 8 Oct 2007, 16:57 (Ref:2035099)   #41
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
What non-conflicting WTCC dates. Only 5 BTCC rounds don't have a WTCC clash. Hardly worth running an extra car for.

Good news about Gio. Had a suspicion he wouldn't be back next year. Glad to say I was proved wrong.

If Chilton goes, as seems almost inevitable, will anyone miss him. On TV the other day he made a comment that people still think of him as a young newcomer but how he felt like a veteran now, having done 6 years of BTCC. Trouble is this year he's not shown the consistency you should expect from a 6 year veteran.
Old 8 Oct 2007, 18:57 (Ref:2035204)   #42
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellmau
Yes, perhaps, but why does BTCC have the GP track all of a sudden, whereas they haven't run that in years?
The last round of 2005 was on the GP.

Looking back, they were there in 2000 and 2002 also. I suppose they try and get it, and it depends on what else Brands has booked in already, as they're limited on the days they can use the GP loop.
Old 14 Oct 2007, 18:22 (Ref:2040128)   #43
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
According to the podcast interview from Jason on the Seat site he has re-signed with Seat for another 3 years, by all sounds for the BTCC too.
Old 14 Oct 2007, 20:21 (Ref:2040226)   #44
redshoes
Veteran

Mentioned in the Thruxton thread but now officially confirmed:

http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=778
Matt Neal joins VXR

http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=777
Shedden stays with Team Dynamics (as lead driver). Second TD driver to be confirmed.

When I first heard the Matt Neal news I thought it was a wind-up - didn't think he would leave the family team. The more I thought about it the more it made sense. TD lost some of their minor sponsors this year and apparently Halfords cut back on what they were spending. Most of Neal's sponsorship comes from the family-run alloy wheels business - essentially the team are sponsoring themselves. Financially it makes sense to let Vauxhall pay Matt's wages and bring in 2 self-funded drivers.
Old 14 Oct 2007, 20:32 (Ref:2040244)   #45
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Also, Tom Chilton to enter in an new-build S2000 car, this from a reliable source at btcc.net and motorsportforums.co.uk

Entries confirmed so far:

Fabrizio Giovanardi Triple Eight Vauxhall Vectra
Matt Neal Triple Eight Vauxhall Vectra
Jason Plato Northern South SEAT Leon
TBA Northern South SEAT Leon
Gordon Shedden Team Dynamics Honda Civic
TBA Team Dynamics Honda Civic
Michael Doyle Robertshaw Racing Honda Civic Type-R
Mike Jordan Team Eurotech Honda Integra DC05
Andy Jordan Team Eurotech Honda Integra DC05
Erkut Kizilirmak Arkas Racing Vauxhall Astra Sport Hatch

With a large number of other entries very likely..
Old 14 Oct 2007, 20:42 (Ref:2040255)   #46
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
When I first heard the Matt Neal news I thought it was a wind-up - didn't think he would leave the family team. The more I thought about it the more it made sense. TD lost some of their minor sponsors this year and apparently Halfords cut back on what they were spending. Most of Neal's sponsorship comes from the family-run alloy wheels business - essentially the team are sponsoring themselves. Financially it makes sense to let Vauxhall pay Matt's wages and bring in 2 self-funded drivers.

Does make sense when you think about it that way. I always thought Matt Neal worked for the team in some capacity in the factory though.

Be interesting to see the wild suggestions as to who will be the 2nd driver at Halfords !
Old 14 Oct 2007, 20:48 (Ref:2040262)   #47
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
Does make sense when you think about it that way. I always thought Matt Neal worked for the team in some capacity in the factory though.

Be interesting to see the wild suggestions as to who will be the 2nd driver at Halfords !
Andy Jordan?

EDIT : Serious one - Thommo as it seems like Alfa will bring their WTCC to an end.
Old 14 Oct 2007, 21:04 (Ref:2040278)   #48
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
I always thought Matt Neal worked for the team in some capacity in the factory though.
It was the Rimstock road wheels parent company rather than the team directly.

Quote:
Whoever has the money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
Thommo as it seems like Alfa will bring their WTCC to an end.
Thommo will want to be paid rather than bring sponsorship himself. I doubt he'll be back in BTCC - there's nothing to prove and WTCC is still unfinished business for him
Old 14 Oct 2007, 21:15 (Ref:2040292)   #49
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
Whoever has the money!

Can I start by throwing Jonathan Adam's name into the hat ?
Old 14 Oct 2007, 21:16 (Ref:2040296)   #50
redshoes
Veteran

You could start by throwing a few coins into Jonathan Adam's hat
Closed Thread