Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 24 Oct 2022, 14:16 (Ref:4131317)   #1051
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
The other strand to the new era, established GT3 teams taking a look at ACO series...

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/elms...ni-evo2-plans/
One interesting quote in here, and I may be taking it out of context, but in referring to being granted a future Le Mans entry:

Quote:
“It’s still very unclear as to how many entries the manufacturers will be awarded, and how many will be up for grabs in the various series.
Does this make it sound like you may get an auto invite in GT3 in the future for winning a GT3 series? It would be a good perk if the ACO/FIA worked with SRO on this.

But the first sentence also had me thinking, will the ACO give each eligible GT3 manufacturer 2 or 3 entries for them to give to interested teams? Or could we have a situation with 6 Ferraris and 6 Porsche in the future instead of 2 each of 6 different GT3 makes?
Old 24 Oct 2022, 14:37 (Ref:4131322)   #1052
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's going to be super interesting in '24. If they do remove P2 from the WEC and you've got, let's say for simplicity, a 20 car top class full season (I actually think it will be slightly more), then the other 20 or so is made up of GT3s.

So at Le Mans in 2024 (approx):
25 Hypercar (full season plus some extra works cars/IMSA privateers)
25 GT3 (full season plus auto invites and privateers)
12 P2s (ELMS/AsLMS, auto invites)

Does that feel about right? Obviously you can limit P2s a bit more but you still want it to be a proper class. Anything less than 10 feels a bit token gesture. But manufacturer money will talk I guess.

To come back to the original point, when the WEC full season entries are factored in I don't think there will be loads of room for various auto invites.
Old 24 Oct 2022, 18:28 (Ref:4131347)   #1053
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
It's going to be super interesting in '24. If they do remove P2 from the WEC and you've got, let's say for simplicity, a 20 car top class full season (I actually think it will be slightly more), then the other 20 or so is made up of GT3s.

So at Le Mans in 2024 (approx):
25 Hypercar (full season plus some extra works cars/IMSA privateers)
25 GT3 (full season plus auto invites and privateers)
12 P2s (ELMS/AsLMS, auto invites)

Does that feel about right? Obviously you can limit P2s a bit more but you still want it to be a proper class. Anything less than 10 feels a bit token gesture. But manufacturer money will talk I guess.

To come back to the original point, when the WEC full season entries are factored in I don't think there will be loads of room for various auto invites.
That sounds about right, but will the regular season WEC have 40ish cars? or will they cap it lower? I guess if they kept the current auto invitees you would get 2 from IMSA and a handful from ELMS. Does Asian Le Mans Series still offer a spot as well? Perhaps their wouldn't be any possibility for tie-in from other series but having to deal with an over-subscribed grid has to be a good problem to have!

In a related note, where will the P2 cars all come from in your scenario if they aren't allowed in WEC? Will there be that much interest from ELMS teams?
Old 24 Oct 2022, 21:13 (Ref:4131364)   #1054
Superspeedway
Rookie

United States
North Carolina
Superspeedway should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
That sounds about right, but will the regular season WEC have 40ish cars? or will they cap it lower? I guess if they kept the current auto invitees you would get 2 from IMSA and a handful from ELMS. Does Asian Le Mans Series still offer a spot as well? Perhaps their wouldn't be any possibility for tie-in from other series but having to deal with an over-subscribed grid has to be a good problem to have!

In a related note, where will the P2 cars all come from in your scenario if they aren't allowed in WEC? Will there be that much interest from ELMS teams?
I read recently that the full time entries are currently capped at 36?, because of both pit lane capacity at some tracks as well as the amount they can send on the boat to the overseas races.
Old 24 Oct 2022, 21:17 (Ref:4131369)   #1055
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I find the idea of LMP2 just turning up for LM but not being in the WEC a bit weird. And it would be quite a big step up from ELMS LMP2 to WEC Hypercar for teams wanting to do that.
Old 24 Oct 2022, 21:24 (Ref:4131370)   #1056
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Is it inevitable that the ACO wants to get rid of LMP2? It’s kinda like the woman that turns up to the wedding wearing a white dress and upstages the bride…

LMP2 just seems to be a problem now for the WEC and ACO, to me it seems they would just rather it go away.
Old 24 Oct 2022, 21:29 (Ref:4131371)   #1057
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
I find the idea of LMP2 just turning up for LM but not being in the WEC a bit weird. And it would be quite a big step up from ELMS LMP2 to WEC Hypercar for teams wanting to do that.
I think a four-round mini series within WEC would be great for P2. Sebring, Spa, LM, Bahrain maybe. That way you've got 3 enduros and a pre-LM test at Spa. Plus no major grid capacity issues at those tracks.

LMP2 Endurance Trophy.

I can see the merits of simplifying the class structure within WEC. But then you'll only have two races to follow when for years we've been used to four.
Old 25 Oct 2022, 01:20 (Ref:4131380)   #1058
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It’s all an embarrassment of riches at the moment!

I’d make sure that LMP2 is well represented at LM24. Need to keep the stalwarts of that class involved. They’ll be needed when all the manufacturers leave in 2026.

I have no idea, but I suspect some teams would like a regional series and LM only. Probably perfect from a cost income perspective. Some the other way I’m sure, but seems ideal - what you mean I don’t have to go to Bahrain? Get in there!
Old 25 Oct 2022, 14:24 (Ref:4131411)   #1059
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Has anything changed in terms of the balance of performance between the hybrid and non-hybrid teams?
Old 25 Oct 2022, 15:50 (Ref:4131423)   #1060
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
It’s all an embarrassment of riches at the moment!

I’d make sure that LMP2 is well represented at LM24. Need to keep the stalwarts of that class involved. They’ll be needed when all the manufacturers leave in 2026.
can’t agree with this any more. they’re curating something that costs seriously ridiculously big money for everybody, which is great until nobody can afford it any more.
Old 25 Oct 2022, 20:18 (Ref:4131445)   #1061
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superspeedway View Post
I read recently that the full time entries are currently capped at 36?, because of both pit lane capacity at some tracks as well as the amount they can send on the boat to the overseas races.
Indeed there was a listed cap, that was subsequently gotten around by some pit sharing I believe.

And welcome to the forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Is it inevitable that the ACO wants to get rid of LMP2? It’s kinda like the woman that turns up to the wedding wearing a white dress and upstages the bride…

LMP2 just seems to be a problem now for the WEC and ACO, to me it seems they would just rather it go away.
LMP2, the Orecas at least, are amazing in terms of performance, reliability, and price. Before they were slowed down they were seriously quick and at a fraction of the price of LMP1.

Quote:
I think a four-round mini series within WEC would be great for P2. Sebring, Spa, LM, Bahrain maybe. That way you've got 3 enduros and a pre-LM test at Spa. Plus no major grid capacity issues at those tracks.

LMP2 Endurance Trophy.
IMSA already has a 4 race endurance series that LMP2 cars are eligible for: Daytona, Sebring, Watkins Glen, and Petit. Perhaps trade out Watkins for Le Mans it you've got a winner!
Old 26 Oct 2022, 05:07 (Ref:4131461)   #1062
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I know this is the positivity thread, but I do get a bit of a 2008-vibe with these out-of-the-blue manufacture announcements.
Let us face it, we have a global recession rolling, which will impact motorsport budgets. Many of the announced programs will not live beyond 2024. (My opinion alone, of course)
Old 26 Oct 2022, 07:31 (Ref:4131467)   #1063
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
That's an understandable point of view. Even with the focus on keeping costs down, it wouldn't be a shock to see one or two manufacturers withdraw in short order.

But with so many upcoming entries, we hopefully won't be in a Peugeot-esque situation.
Old 26 Oct 2022, 08:22 (Ref:4131476)   #1064
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
It's the customer car aspect which gives me slightly more hope than previous peaks. I think that can help prolong things slightly.

I do think it's reasonable to expect some short programmes but it does sound like there's more to be announced still.
Old 26 Oct 2022, 13:25 (Ref:4131523)   #1065
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
On the flip side, WEC is a lot cheaper than F1. The optimist in me still says Hypercar gives you a lot of bang for your buck.
Old 26 Oct 2022, 13:48 (Ref:4131524)   #1066
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
I know this is the positivity thread, but I do get a bit of a 2008-vibe with these out-of-the-blue manufacture announcements.
Let us face it, we have a global recession rolling, which will impact motorsport budgets. Many of the announced programs will not live beyond 2024. (My opinion alone, of course)
Yet all the car numbers coming out this week do NOT reflect a downturn for them at all, in fact double digit growth
Old 26 Oct 2022, 14:52 (Ref:4131532)   #1067
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
It's the customer car aspect which gives me slightly more hope than previous peaks. I think that can help prolong things slightly.

I do think it's reasonable to expect some short programmes but it does sound like there's more to be announced still.
I was going to bring up customer cars too. If all the manufacturers go and sell a few cars in the next couple of years we could still be in decent shape.
Old 5 Nov 2022, 19:12 (Ref:4132705)   #1068
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Why is the engine cover fin still required?
Old 5 Nov 2022, 20:03 (Ref:4132712)   #1069
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
IronLynx X Lambo works tie-up becomes official

https://twitter.com/IronLynx_/status...84173179518977
Old 5 Nov 2022, 20:52 (Ref:4132719)   #1070
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Why is the engine cover fin still required?
It's because of this

'3.10 Aerodynamic stability
Regardless of the aerodynamic configuration, the car must fulfill a number of safety criteria to ensure a minimum
aerodynamic stability. Compliance with Article 2.3 is understood as a car being aerodynamically stable according to these safety criteria at all times. The criteria acceptance will be validated with Wind Tunnel measurements and/or CFD
computations. The complete procedure and acceptance requirements for these criteria are described in the
aerodynamic homologation process that can be found in the Appendixes to these regulations.'
Old 5 Nov 2022, 22:29 (Ref:4132725)   #1071
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes.

You have to make sure that the vehicle is stable and won’t flip in certain situations. The fin is simply the best and easiest way to do this. If you can do it in another way fine, but why would yo? The fin does it really well.
Old 6 Nov 2022, 02:49 (Ref:4132758)   #1072
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Ferrari has their unique end plates for this reason. But I think they had a little fun with the liberties that the rules allow. The fin is hardly featured on the Peugeot.
Old 6 Nov 2022, 07:53 (Ref:4132771)   #1073
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
I thought the fin was to direct airflow to the rear wing whilst the car is in a state of yaw/cornering? How come F1 cars used this fin, but now they have removed it on the current cars?
Old 6 Nov 2022, 13:49 (Ref:4132785)   #1074
Koenigsegg
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
Koenigsegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regulations
Old 7 Nov 2022, 15:44 (Ref:4132902)   #1075
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The fin prevents the car from spinning in the vertical axis in a big crash.