Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Jul 2004, 15:30 (Ref:1043564)   #1
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EJs Statement about NH and the Williams test drivers

This part problem sums the article up best but please read it all!

Quote:
"It’s not Jordan’s problem that Williams might be losing both of their drivers this year and have employed two test drivers that they don’t want to use in the race, he added. I have always said that I want to help Nick get a top drive and I will stay true to my word." http://www.planet-f1.com/news/story_16623.shtml
Reading the article I can only hope it is out of context because to block a driver from testing in a better car and thus giving him a chance to shine is, in my opinion, not right. Eddie seems to be playing the not for money card here but if Williams were paying for the Jordan replacement driver then there should of been no issue.

Secondly I was quite disappointed in EJs' statement mentioning the Williams test drivers. Whether or not Williams do want to race the test drivers there was no need for EJ to critises the drivers.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 15:38 (Ref:1043572)   #2
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good ol’ EJ. The way he’s quoted says to me that this is a man who’s a tad irritated with Williams…most probably because of the lack of ca$h Williams put up or more to the point DIDN'T put up for Nick…

I agree, it's a tad harsh on Antonio and Marc. Free speech, don't you just love it?!!
Old 22 Jul 2004, 15:43 (Ref:1043573)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Eddie's stating facts.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 16:07 (Ref:1043593)   #4
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
He sure is. Williams are proving to be masters at penny pinching and seem to enjoy playing mind games with virtually all drivers, or potential drivers in F1. I guess they are of the mindset that the car makes the team; the driver is secondary. Unfortunately, they are not far wrong.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 16:50 (Ref:1043636)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Strange... contraditory to say the least.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 17:25 (Ref:1043674)   #6
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eddie's comments are funny - I'm sure Williams are thinking that it isn't their fault that Jordan has mismanaged his F1 team and is greedy for every extra pound he can get.

Poor Nick. Looks like another year spent tooling around Minardi-wards for a mediocre team while his illustrious former teammate goes from strength to strength with the Woking lot.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 17:34 (Ref:1043686)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Think you're very harsh on Jordan there, Logrence.

Just remember Eddie saved Nick from the F1 scrapheap and is unlikely to release him for nothing.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 17:38 (Ref:1043693)   #8
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
He got a good driver practically for free, don't paint him out to be a saint!

Vodafone, anyone?
Old 22 Jul 2004, 17:42 (Ref:1043697)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

The Vodafone issue is dead and buried.

I'm not painting him to be a saint, but he's certainly not as "always in the wrong" as you suggest.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 17:56 (Ref:1043715)   #10
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What Jordan say's doesn't seem to be wrong.

A big team isn't always right..a small team isn't always wrong.

I don't know what William's stand on this issue is, and hence i would refrain from criticising them based on one-sided story.

But what Eddie is saying is that all he wanted is not to make a loss just to solve William's desperation to find a replacement driver for 3 races this year.

Eddie's promise is that he'd help Nick find a competitive seat for next year. Not this year, and not for just a few races. And it would be unfair if Williams wants to take Nick on the cheap as a substituition for 3 races and leave Jordan in the lurch with no drivers and incur excess expenses as a result.

Eddie may not be a saint... but what he's doing is simple business.. You don't run a charity and incur losses just to get a rival out of the mud.

And there's nothing wrong if Jordan wants to earn a quick dollar from Williams in the eventual dealing of Nick. Jordan's struggling in finances and to give away a top driver for free is pretty silly.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 18:02 (Ref:1043719)   #11
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There are two ways of looking at this.

1. EJ thinks that a hastily arranged test to 'help' Williams out will not be of benefit to Nick - lets say for example that was the case and Nick gets into a 'strange' car and as so often happens in one off tests, he is beset by problems and doesn't set a decent time - to the 'outside' world he would have been 'blown away' by Pizzonia and his chance would be gone.

2. On the other hand, EJ was alleged to be asking $2M or so to release Nick, which is plainly crazy and if true reeks of trying to make too much out of the situation.

From Nick's point of view I am sure he would love to be in a Williams, but one off drives or mid-season swaps don't have a great record of benefiting the driver involved.

IF Williams are interested in Nick, he will get a chance to sit in the car again, in a 'proper' test. If not it will highlight that the idea was expediency on their part.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 18:08 (Ref:1043725)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't see a big problem from either side here. Apart from perhaps the above quote trying to make out it is something it isn't.

Williams wanted Heidfeld for certain about of money.
Jordan wanted to give Heidfeld up for a certain amount of money.

Jordan's certain amount was more than Williams' amount so neither thought it worth while (taking into account the conditions).

Its a bit like a situation I am in. I want to buy a 250GTO, however I am not prepared to offer what any of the owners want for them. So they don't sell to me and I don't buy from them.

Last edited by Adam43; 22 Jul 2004 at 18:09.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 18:53 (Ref:1043755)   #13
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does Heidfeld deserve better team than Jordan? Nothing I've seen on his career says, he deserves.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 22 Jul 2004, 19:03 (Ref:1043760)   #14
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Deserve is a bit of an emotive word, who would have picked Trulli as GP winner pre-season, and for him to be heading Alonso in the series?

I've always thought Nick a bit 'dull', but I'd like to see how he really went in a decent car.

'Cometh the hour, cometh the man?'
Old 22 Jul 2004, 19:56 (Ref:1043810)   #15
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, no, no, Heidfeld's one of these enigma's that shine in a not-so-good car and then will flatter to decieve in a good car! Just the impression I get.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 20:09 (Ref:1043822)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Whenever he had a good car, in F3 and F3000, together with the 2001 Sauber, he delivered results.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 20:13 (Ref:1043828)   #17
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, but, not necessarily through any fault of his own, he still gets overlooked when he performs, like Raikkonen being chosen ahead of him. It's probably an image thing as well.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 21:23 (Ref:1043913)   #18
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
More of an image thing than driving ability. I think Nick went off the mclaren radar because of it. mercedes wanted a German star but Nicks quiet demeanour counted against him in the light of the Schumacher brand and he was left to survive in Sauberland. his results in f3000 and in a good car when he's had one, plus the ability to match his team mates is indicative of an under-rated driver.

I agree that if Williams really want him they should offer him a proper test withn a view to a full time drive next year, not just a shoot out between him and Pizzonia for a race or two this year.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 11:55 (Ref:1044479)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Let's see if he doesn't turn out to be a H.H. Frentzen.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 20:34 (Ref:1045035)   #20
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
At least Harry won 3/4 races.
Old 24 Jul 2004, 09:55 (Ref:1045515)   #21
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thing is, it's a bit like Fisico, he hasn't really had a great car, Nick. The 2001 Sauber was good but was the 4th best, and sometimes the Jordans and BARs had more pace but were more unreliable.

It'd be interesting to see him in a BMW-powered car after his years under Mercedes!
Old 24 Jul 2004, 18:18 (Ref:1045878)   #22
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Logrence
At least Harry won 3/4 races.
Yes, but let's consider the cars Harry drove compared to the cars Nick has been saddled with eh?

Just because a driver may be quiet, or as I've seen him called in this thread 'dull', doesn't make him a bad driver. I'll bet every dollar in my bank account that if you had in a McLaren he'd be beating Kimi Raikkonen.
Old 24 Jul 2004, 21:12 (Ref:1045966)   #23
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eddie's comments on the test drivers are interesting, and to be honest "fair"

If I was hiring test drivers my motives would be a consistancy - and development/feedback ablity, if they are regullaly say 2 tenths of the race drivers best....so what, as long as they are consistant and can develop the car.However in Franks situation, would promoting a development driver be the best move for a race winning team, in a race you need those 2 10ths the development drivers are lacking.

I quite like it, he sticks the cat amongst the pigeons.
Old 24 Jul 2004, 21:59 (Ref:1045986)   #24
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
Yes, but let's consider the cars Harry drove compared to the cars Nick has been saddled with eh?
If you'd care to quote that in context as a reply to someone saying that he might turn out to be a Heinz-Harald Frentzen, thanks.

Harry flattered to deceive in his midfield Saubers before moving on to Williams, Jordan et al. Heidfeld is going round the same teams in a different order, come to think of it.