Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Jan 2004, 10:25 (Ref:825589)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Hot seats available in 2005

For a few years now, we have had little to get excited about when the driver swapping starts. Basically because its usually one of our favorites (Fisi etc) moving from one mid-field team to another.

It's not that these guys are'nt good enough, there just are'nt enough top race seats.

2004 see's the same 8 guys sitting in the same 8 seats. The biggest move is that Fisi has gone to Sauber (woopty doo) and we have new talent such as Massa and Sato. Hang on a minute, new talent? Thats the new talent from 2002.

Grrr

2005 has already started with the huge announcement that Kimi is to have a new wipping boy (yes MrV, thats for your benefit ) with Monty joining the team. This is good news indeed.

However it could get more complicated and exciting than that. Rubins does'nt have a contract yet, Michael could easily pull the pin (7 does have a nice ring to it) & Ralf could be heading for Toyota. Added to that, I'm not sure how firm those Renault seats are either.

Hey, thats (potentially) 6 of the top 8 seats for grabs! I think Kimi could move, but less face it, thats unlikely and if he did it would be to another top team.

OK, we can rule one out at Ferrari. If Michael stays I think Rubins is a gonner, but if he does'nt they will keep Rubins.

"Wrex, do you have a point?"

Oh yeah, sorry. So if there is a seat at Ferrari, and 2 at Williams, who is likely to get them.

For me (although unlikely) give Alonso the Ferrari seat and put Webber and Button in the Williams. Bump Fisi into the Renault and everyone is happy.
Old 2 Jan 2004, 11:13 (Ref:825612)   #2
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
hey WREX what about JV to Williams!!!
oops this isnt a joke thread!!
Old 2 Jan 2004, 11:15 (Ref:825613)   #3
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: Hot seats available in 2005

Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex

2005 has already started with the huge announcement that Kimi is to have a new wipping boy ( with Monty joining the team. This is good news
with Kimi having a new wipping boy i thinkk he will stay at MAC as he will be the no. 1!!
Old 2 Jan 2004, 13:02 (Ref:825676)   #4
Poddy
Rookie

Poddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If MS calls time, obviously Kimi's going to be the one with the best hand. I dare say he'll stay with Mclaren, but if he's out of contract then Williams and Ferrari would both be options if Mclaren have a tough year.

That said, he'll probably stick around, Ralf'll probably replace Panis for a huge salary at Toyota if they have a good season and Williams in turn can get in both Button and Webber for less than that.

Renault will probably promote one of their young drivers to the race team and will decide on whether to keep Trulli based on whether Ferrari try for Alonso.
Old 2 Jan 2004, 15:40 (Ref:825755)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!

Quote:

2005 has already started with the huge announcement that Kimi is to have a new wipping boy (yes MrV, thats for your benefit ) with Monty joining the team. This is good news indeed.

Please remind me why it is we're friends again? :confused:
Old 2 Jan 2004, 16:08 (Ref:825773)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Welcome Paddy, and I'd generally agree with your points, although I don't expect McLaren to ahve a tough year. Far from it. Their package looks strong considering how early the car is ready, adn Kimi is still imrpoving.

The exact number of Top-team seats that will be changing hands depends on a number of circumstances. Micahel and Rubens is very unlikely to be the 2005 Ferrari lineup, although switching both drivers seems unlikely. If Michael leaves, they'd probably hire either Alonso (in whcih case Webber and Montagny is the likely lineup) or Raikkonen (perhaps allowing DC to cling on to his seat next to Montoya).

The lead drives at Jaguar and Toyota may be DC or Ralf's destination. Frank may choose to discard Ralf, especially if Wili Weber continues to make excessive contract demands, and go for Button alongside another youngster.

The front of the 2005 grid could see more changes than any since 1996 (when JV joined Williams, Schumahcer and Irvine Ferrari, Alesi and Berger Benetton and Coulthard McLaren)
Old 3 Jan 2004, 04:04 (Ref:826171)   #7
Korr
Racer

Korr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

First, the easy one:
McLaren: Raikonnen, Montoya

Williams: Webber, Schumacher

Ferrari: Schumacher, Massa

But we still have a whole season in front of us. Who knows what could happen...
Old 3 Jan 2004, 04:46 (Ref:826185)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2005 LineUp:

BAR: Takuma Sato/Zsolt Baumgartner
Ferrari: Michael Schumacher/Felipe Massa
Jaguar: David Coulthard/Townsend Bell
Jordan: Jarno Trulli/Jos Verstappen
McLaren: Kimi Raikonnen/Juan-Pablo Montoya
Minardi: Ryan Briscoe/Will Power
Renault: Fernando Alonso/Olivier Panis
Sauber: Giancarlo Fisichella/James Courtney
Toyota: Ralf Schumacher/Cristiano Da Matta
Williams: Mark Webber/Jenson Button
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 3 Jan 2004, 05:41 (Ref:826208)   #9
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Although I would love to have 3 Aussie in F1, I can not see that happening GTR.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 3 Jan 2004, 08:47 (Ref:826288)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Where do you get 3, I count 4... Webber, Courtney, Briscoe & Power....
Old 3 Jan 2004, 11:11 (Ref:826376)   #11
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And we all negelcted Scott Dixon. How sad is that? Very bloody sad!

Scott will at least be testing in 2005, once he "overcomes" a couple of "hurdles".
Old 3 Jan 2004, 11:27 (Ref:826382)   #12
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd just like to say something, breifly.

McLaren havn't confirmed Raikonnen - why?
Well consider this, what happens if a SuperStar german decideds he wants to end his career with a german powered team?

That'd be a *real* superteam.
Old 4 Jan 2004, 05:39 (Ref:827139)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Dixon will stay in the roundy roundy category for a few years yet, and become a star while doing so.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 15:48 (Ref:828432)   #14
Poddy
Rookie

Poddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Welcome Paddy, and I'd generally agree with your points, although I don't expect McLaren to ahve a tough year. Far from it. Their package looks strong considering how early the car is ready, adn Kimi is still imrpoving.
Cheers for the welcome

Yeah, Mclaren having a tough year's going to be tricky to imagine - more me being hypothetical as much as anything else there.

Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
The lead drives at Jaguar and Toyota may be DC or Ralf's destination. Frank may choose to discard Ralf, especially if Wili Weber continues to make excessive contract demands, and go for Button alongside another youngster.
[/B]
I can see Ralf going. Drivers and their managers who go toe-to-toe with FW in contract negotiations have a knack of coming off worst, and in the case of Herr Weber, he makes all the noises of a man who realises his golden goose is coming to the end of its laying days and he wants to get the most possible out of the younger goose while the getting's good.

At this stage I'm pretty sure a three year deal for Ralf at Toyota on a huge salary will help ease the burdon of Michael's eventual retirement...
Old 23 Jul 2004, 20:32 (Ref:1045031)   #15
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
2005 LineUp:

BAR: Takuma Sato/Zsolt Baumgartner
Ferrari: Michael Schumacher/Felipe Massa
Jaguar: David Coulthard/Townsend Bell
Jordan: Jarno Trulli/Jos Verstappen
McLaren: Kimi Raikonnen/Juan-Pablo Montoya
Minardi: Ryan Briscoe/Will Power
Renault: Fernando Alonso/Olivier Panis
Sauber: Giancarlo Fisichella/James Courtney
Toyota: Ralf Schumacher/Cristiano Da Matta
Williams: Mark Webber/Jenson Button
The off-season is good for a laugh isn't it
Old 23 Jul 2004, 20:38 (Ref:1045037)   #16
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!

Quote:
(yes MrV, thats for your benefit ) Rubins.

I often wonder why we are friends

Quote:

"Wrex, do you have a point?"

Do you ever have a point?

Have to say that "the good old days" seemed to have more driver transfers (or am i just looking back through rose tinted specs? ). Maybe teams nowadays prfer "continuity"?

Last edited by Mr V; 23 Jul 2004 at 20:38.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 20:40 (Ref:1045039)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
Just realised that this is an old thread, and i have given virtually the same answer as i did months ago!
Old 23 Jul 2004, 20:44 (Ref:1045041)   #18
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
I'm just getting down with the reminiscing.

It's always fun for someone to make a tit of themself along the way...
Old 23 Jul 2004, 20:58 (Ref:1045058)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope this doesn't mean the floodgates are now opened for dragging up old threads....
Old 24 Jul 2004, 20:05 (Ref:1045933)   #20
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
So whats with all this thread reviving???
Old 24 Jul 2004, 22:31 (Ref:1046016)   #21
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
It's fun to see what predictions people have made. Try it - go back to the beginning of this year, or even a year ago and see what people said...it's way off!
Old 25 Jul 2004, 09:17 (Ref:1046439)   #22
Racergal
Rookie

Northern Ireland
Omagh
Racergal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey. This is my first posting here! Does anyone know what has happened to James Courtney? I was following him in F3 but he has disappeared the last couple of years and was really holding out for him getting a F1 drive....
Old 25 Jul 2004, 09:19 (Ref:1046443)   #23
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He was doing Japanese GT racing the last I heard. Sadly, he's probably missed the F1 boat.

Welcome to the forum
Old 25 Jul 2004, 14:47 (Ref:1046701)   #24
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
That's one of your better welcomes!