Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 Jan 2009, 10:20 (Ref:2375964)   #351
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would it not be nice to think that, with entries fees going up and up, some of the increase was made available for better hospitality for and greater appreciation of the marshals?
Old 21 Jan 2009, 10:32 (Ref:2375972)   #352
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves
Would it not be nice to think that, with entries fees going up and up, some of the increase was made available for better hospitality for and greater appreciation of the marshals?
It's a sad fact that, in general terms, the higher the profile of the meeting, the less appreciation both cultural and practical is given to the marshals.
Old 21 Jan 2009, 10:48 (Ref:2375991)   #353
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My offer from 2008 still stands. If there is nothing arranged for marshalls on Saturday night after the sportscar race, I will host drinks for them at our truck.
Old 21 Jan 2009, 11:17 (Ref:2376012)   #354
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills
My offer from 2008 still stands. If there is nothing arranged for marshalls on Saturday night after the sportscar race, I will host drinks for them at our truck.
Roger - that's a very kind and generous offer .
However, as I'm sure that rbs will confirm, after having been on duty with limited breaks, for something like 12 hours, the majority of marshals will want to grab a 'proper meal', prepare food and kit for the next day and crash out (if they're staying on site or drive home if they're not).
I think it's more the case of the organisers who set the timetable (who are not necessarily the permit holding club!) understanding the need for sensible timetables and adequate breaks.
Just to make it clear, I'm not talking about people like myself who are in the relative comfort and security of race control - it's the boys and girls outside and exposed to the elements who deserve our support and understanding.
Old 21 Jan 2009, 11:49 (Ref:2376029)   #355
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A bsolutely correct John,it has been said many times in the past that if "The boys and girls" are not there etc.I wonder at the possibility of something like a meals on wheels for these hardy people.Sandwiches/roll's could be dropped off at the post's during the course car period,it would only take a few minuits extra time.
Old 21 Jan 2009, 13:05 (Ref:2376079)   #356
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee
Roger - that's a very kind and generous offer .
However, as I'm sure that rbs will confirm, after having been on duty with limited breaks, for something like 12 hours, the majority of marshals will want to grab a 'proper meal', prepare food and kit for the next day and crash out (if they're staying on site or drive home if they're not).
I think it's more the case of the organisers who set the timetable (who are not necessarily the permit holding club!) understanding the need for sensible timetables and adequate breaks.
Just to make it clear, I'm not talking about people like myself who are in the relative comfort and security of race control - it's the boys and girls outside and exposed to the elements who deserve our support and understanding.
Speaking as a mere spectator, and having read many times of the increasing difficulty of encouraging people to marshal, it really shouldn't be beyond the wit of organisers to not only lay on adequate hospitality, including a 'proper meal' but to be able to arrange for enough cover so that marshals aren't expected to be on post 7:30am-9:30pm without relief at meetings featuring an evening race like this....If organisers actually went the distance to look after their marshals at big meetings like these, then perhaps it would be easier to recruit them...

As I said, I'm just a mere spectator...
Old 21 Jan 2009, 13:08 (Ref:2376081)   #357
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've just heard, from a very reliable source, that Roadsports will definitely NOT be on the programme. It is a huge disappointment to me, and I'm sure a load of others - we've been heavily oversubscribed both years, and even won the best-dressed paddock (or some-such title) last year. Not only that, but entrants were selected from those that had best attendance records at HSCC meetings, so that those who wanted to race at the Classic made an effort to get to all the meetings beforehand, so a bit of a win-win for HSCC.

Great shame.
Old 21 Jan 2009, 19:20 (Ref:2376337)   #358
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is a very generous offer from Roger and I am sure there will be some marshals that will attend his truck and on all marshals behalf i would like to thank him.

But, as johngee states, after a long day you feel like a meal and some sleep.

What most people do not appreciate is that when the chequered flag drop[s at 9.30pm our day will finish, tere could be another 2 minutes before all cars have taken the flag then a further 3 minutes for the slowing down lap. You may aslo be unfortunate enough to have had an incident on your post which would have to be cleared.Later posts may have reports to give in to the clerk of the course on his closing lap. Then removing overalls and boots etc, we are now near to 9.45pm. I personally drive home afterwards so it is now 10.15pm.Etc. I am sure you alll understand. This is why I will not be on the circuit for this evening race. There are lots of marshals who have stayed in the past 2 years but there are many ,like me who, have left.
Old 21 Jan 2009, 19:49 (Ref:2376350)   #359
Finn
Racer

Finn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRSTR5
I've just heard, from a very reliable source, that Roadsports will definitely NOT be on the programme. It is a huge disappointment to me, and I'm sure a load of others - we've been heavily oversubscribed both years, and even won the best-dressed paddock (or some-such title) last year. Not only that, but entrants were selected from those that had best attendance records at HSCC meetings, so that those who wanted to race at the Classic made an effort to get to all the meetings beforehand, so a bit of a win-win for HSCC.

Great shame.

yes real shame. It mentioned that it had been dropped in last weeks motorsport news. A lot of classic car owners attend this meeting and are keen to see cars like theirs racing. I'm probably a bit biased tho as I was hoping to race. Have to spectate again I suppose.
Old 22 Jan 2009, 15:45 (Ref:2376901)   #360
Tonto
Rookie

Wales
LlanfairPG
Tonto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How does Britcar 24 hr at S'stone manage the marshalling?
I agree that rather than all the fuss about driver hospitality more effort should go into facilities for marshalls. Perhaps Masters could provide dinner for Marshalls after the evening race - even a 'Marshalls Award' to a deserving driver voted for by the Marshalls. Having heard Tues pm that this meeting was off for 09 I now understand it is on again and entry fees will be average circa £500...........rather than the £875+ previously rumoured.
Old 22 Jan 2009, 15:56 (Ref:2376905)   #361
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
so a few well placed leaks to ten tenths to guage appetite and hey presto its back on at normal prices - the power of the web! I agree with Tonto well fed marshalls are proably happier ones!
Old 22 Jan 2009, 16:07 (Ref:2376916)   #362
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If, and I stress if, it is true then surely it's the power of 10/10s.

Well fed marshals yes, just don't let Clive Wayland near your stash of Old speckled Hen!
Old 22 Jan 2009, 16:40 (Ref:2376948)   #363
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
so a few well placed leaks to ten tenths to guage appetite and hey presto its back on at normal prices - the power of the web! I agree with Tonto well fed marshalls are proably happier ones!
or possibly sound asleep ones.
Old 22 Jan 2009, 17:10 (Ref:2376973)   #364
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Is it on and whats the cost?Assuming thats OK and we are back to reasonable numbers I can start complaining about the VSCC Aero engined special cars that will be allowed into the Edwardian race.Nothing to do with real proper Edwardian racing!That should start a hell of a discussion.
Old 22 Jan 2009, 18:36 (Ref:2377012)   #365
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
Is it on and whats the cost?Assuming thats OK and we are back to reasonable numbers I can start complaining about the VSCC Aero engined special cars that will be allowed into the Edwardian race.Nothing to do with real proper Edwardian racing!That should start a hell of a discussion.
That may be worth it's own thread but it's a bit like Continuation cars.

The edwardians have been made to look old though. even the new cars struggle to keep up with the genuine Panhard.
Old 22 Jan 2009, 23:29 (Ref:2377209)   #366
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Think there would only be the two of us with an opinion.Its a long way from a MG B.!
Old 23 Jan 2009, 10:55 (Ref:2377432)   #367
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just to clarify the situation regarding the event itself, I understand that the meeting didn't go ahead on Wednesday, since agreement with most of the organisers had been reached beforehand and that the Classic is to go ahead as planned. However, the full race content has yet to be confirmed, although most of it is, apparently, in place.
Old 26 Jan 2009, 22:00 (Ref:2379971)   #368
Tom Walker
Rookie

England
leics
Tom Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
John, with a bit of luck the LSR Darracq should be out later this year....that should give even the Aero engined boys something to think about !!
Old 4 Feb 2009, 22:03 (Ref:2388515)   #369
fasted
Racer

England
fasted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the MotorsTV website re Silverstone Classic 2009
Invited Race Grids:

Pre '59 Sports Cars
Sports Racing Cars (1948-1955)
Grand Prix Cars (1966-1978)
Pre '66 Sports Endurance Cars
World Sports Cars (1963-1973)
Under 2-litre Touring Cars
Formula Junior
Pre '66 Grand Prix Cars
Group C - Le Mans
'90's Super Touring Cars
Vintage Edwardian Sports Cars
Mini Celebration Race (50th Anniversary)
Pre '63 GT Cars
Pre-war Sports Cars
Old 4 Feb 2009, 22:36 (Ref:2388538)   #370
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
That has been up for a couple of weeks,I think there has been some alterations made since.
Old 4 Feb 2009, 22:52 (Ref:2388549)   #371
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
I understand that that the Group C race has been dropped and that the programme is to "optimistic" and HSCC has rejected the offer to organise/run the meeting!! I just hope these are wrong.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 05:48 (Ref:2388672)   #372
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
At the risk of repeating something that may have been said several pages earlier-

March edition Classic & Sports Car page 9 announces 'Big plans for Silverstone Classic'. No HF1, Roadsports, Top Hat pre '66 saloons, Porsche or Aston races. But U2TC And Edwardian in. Event now managed and promoted by Goose Communications, headed by historic racer Nick Wigley.

Bearing in mind that the mag is monthly they must have had this info a little while, so it could be out of date already.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 08:05 (Ref:2388709)   #373
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Nick has been in the frame for quite sometime,if everything holds together I wish every success as I'm sure it will be.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 09:44 (Ref:2388787)   #374
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell
Event now managed and promoted by Goose Communications, headed by historic racer Nick Wigley.
They were the off track organisers for the Masters Grande Passione meeting at Donington last April. They did an excellent job and are a 'safe pair of hands'
Old 5 Feb 2009, 10:46 (Ref:2388902)   #375
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am at a bit of a loss as to why an event needs so many promotors/organisers/backers etc. All of whom will want a profit at the end of the day and that can only come from the competitors and spectators. As this meeting does get a good spectator turnout then surely the entry fees for the competitors should be less as they are providing the entertainment.
In the days of the Coys Festival the BRDC seemed to do a great job on their own but since then it's never been quite the same.

In passing I see Coys are backing MG Live! a couple of weeks earlier which may well be a far better meeting as they are also celebrating Austin Healey as well the MG.

Tags
historic racing, pre '63 gts