Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 13 Jan 2024, 10:15 (Ref:4191718)   #1
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Alberto Colombo

Italian driver passed away on the 6th Jan, aged 77.

One of the leading F2 guys in the mid-late 70's
Old 13 Jan 2024, 10:32 (Ref:4191719)   #2
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember Alberto Colombo for his appearances at Thruxton in the Easter Monday Formula Two races of the late seventies. Rather than a leading Formula Two driver, I would say he was a regular midfielder for the six seasons he competed .

He always raced for privateer teams such as San Remo Racing, often in cars which were the previous season's models and usually raced just behind the works teams. Alberto did achieve some good results but I think it was more due to the poor reliability common in Formula Two in that period.

Having said all that, I was a fan of his for some reason, whether it was him being an underdog or his wild, curly hair I am not sure ! He also made four Grands Prix appearances, qualifying once in an ATS. RIP Alberto, you contributed much to a great era of motor racing.
Old 13 Jan 2024, 13:13 (Ref:4191730)   #3
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I should have checked Alberto's Formula One record first as he did not qualify for ATS twice and did not pre-qualify for Merzario in the 1978 Italian Grand Prix.