Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 5 May 2003, 13:02 (Ref:589988)   #1
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BTCC Race 1: Neal triumphs in action packed event.

Honda’s Matt Neal won an action-packed third round of the Green Flag MSA British Touring Car Championship at a packed out Brands Hatch today (Monday) following a dramatic final corner lunge on Vauxhall driver Paul O’Neill.

The pair made contact and O’Neill, who had led the race following the mandatory tyre change pit stops, half spun, allowing Neal to sneak through for victory.

"He left a tiny gap and I was going for it," said Neal, who had led the first half the race until falling behind in the pit stop reshuffle.

"Once you're fully committed, you can't back out. I think Paul saw me coming and tried to close the door and we hit. I said before that if the Vauxhalls left a gap I was going to be in there."

Yvan Muller was able to outrun his Vauxhall team-mate O’Neill on the dash to the line to take second place. MG’s Warren Hughes, who had been lying third entering the final corner, tried to take advantage of the confusion, but his car snagged that of O'Neill and he crashed into the barriers.

O'Neill was unmoved by the incident with Neal, but said: "If I'd never won a BTCC race before, I'd have been furious.

"I don't believe Matt hit me deliberately. Maybe his brakes failed or something. I'm not happy I didn't win, but it could be worse."

Hughes' team-mate Anthony Reid took fourth and reigning champion, Vauxhall’s James Thompson, fifth in his 200th BTCC race.

Gavin Pyper took Hilton Independent Trophy spoils in his GA Motorsports’ Vauxhall Astra Coupe and Edenbridge Racing’s Michael Bentwood Production class honours.

Round four of the Green Flag MSA British Touring Car Championship is scheduled to start at 17.00.

full results at www.btccinfo.tk
Old 5 May 2003, 16:46 (Ref:590152)   #2
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, Vauxhall 1-2-3 in the second.

Colin's bad luck strikes again after a nudge off from thommo. poor lad!
Old 5 May 2003, 17:05 (Ref:590161)   #3
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I reckon if MG was a person they'd be contemplating jumping off a tower block right now...2 potential podiums and they came to nothing. But in saying that Anthony Reid got two solid finishes, every point matters these days.
Old 5 May 2003, 17:10 (Ref:590164)   #4
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
PS I think from Chris Ryan's description of events before his accident it sounds as if Colin Turkington may have tapped him into the pit wall ?
Old 5 May 2003, 19:41 (Ref:590262)   #5
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
I didn't see the Ryan incident on tv myself. The thommo turkington clash was a "racing incident" all over, nothing dodgy. The vauxhalls always seems to come off best when there's contact though.
Old 5 May 2003, 21:16 (Ref:590364)   #6
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
As I said to Mr Neal after the race... "you're a bloody plonker!" He didn't seem to see the irony. Pillock.
Old 5 May 2003, 21:42 (Ref:590388)   #7
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From what I saw on the big screen, it looked a very silly move, but it was still one hell of a race.
Old 5 May 2003, 21:47 (Ref:590396)   #8
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Yep - a few more like that and people will start believing it's the mid-nineties all over again!

Sooooo ****ed off for Paul though
Old 5 May 2003, 22:02 (Ref:590411)   #9
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Much as Matt Neal is loved by the fans, I heard a few people around me boing him.

Paul O'Neill should have won that race. I am really suprised Mr Neal has not been draged in front of the stewards.
Old 5 May 2003, 22:09 (Ref:590416)   #10
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Who says Matt Neal is loved by the fans? I know plenty who think he's a total muppet. Some of those are people who used to be big fans of his back in the days of the Primera.

I think more people support Paul than Matt nowadays.
Old 5 May 2003, 22:38 (Ref:590427)   #11
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill
Yep - a few more like that and people will start believing it's the mid-nineties all over again!

Bumpers started falling off again. From what I've heard that's what's meant to make it good.

And the save of Race 1 goes to Hughes / Muller when they started synchronised sliding through Paddock!
Old 5 May 2003, 22:39 (Ref:590428)   #12
Jimeth
Racer

Jimeth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Matt does come across as pretty arrogant some of the time now, Paul is far far far more down to earth and a nicer bloke IMHO
Old 5 May 2003, 22:48 (Ref:590438)   #13
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
It was really good to see Paul make a move on Yvan today. He's usually far too laid back and lets the more senior drivers go in front of him. I say good on Paul!
Old 5 May 2003, 23:03 (Ref:590445)   #14
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Paul's move on Muller was fantastic. Muller made him work for it but he stuck to his guns and did what was necessary. Should make great TV next weekend.
Old 5 May 2003, 23:05 (Ref:590447)   #15
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
As Paul said this afternoon, "I feel like I've made it now and I'm now gonna just go for it!" Absolutely Paul - you've come on leaps and bounds since you joined Triple Eight and you look at home in that motor car. Go for it for us dude!
Old 6 May 2003, 06:40 (Ref:590578)   #16
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You do get the impression from this season that Paul is more confident in his own ability, that he is allowing himself to take on the 'big boys', take the odd chance here and there and it's great to see.
Old 6 May 2003, 07:13 (Ref:590591)   #17
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill
I think more people support Paul than Matt nowadays.
Yeah I think so too. That move was worse than Gavin Pypers because it was intentional. But all Neal gets is a bloody fine!!!

Last edited by ATF; 6 May 2003 at 07:14.
Old 6 May 2003, 10:31 (Ref:590756)   #18
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Absolutely Redshoes. I can tell you it made great TV on Motors TV, it was almost an exact match of Thompson and Muller at Brands last year, except they both kept on the track.

When Neal nudged Paul off I was swearing at the telly. As Tim Harvey said, Paul is in the BTCC for all the right reasons and thats why he's as popular as he is
Old 6 May 2003, 11:13 (Ref:590806)   #19
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
Bumpers started falling off again. From what I've heard that's what's meant to make it good.

And the save of Race 1 goes to Hughes / Muller when they started synchronised sliding through Paddock!
For a very good image of this, go and click on the full race report on the home page of the official site www.tocatour.co.uk
Old 6 May 2003, 12:17 (Ref:590872)   #20
racingdick
Veteran

racingdick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
Bumpers started falling off again.
in to my grubby hands and in the back of my car....
Attached Thumbnails
image1.jpg  
Old 6 May 2003, 13:32 (Ref:590983)   #21
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
I have now been given some video footage of the incident from a different angle now and, although it was still a pretty savage move, I am now leaning more towards 'racing incident' than I was previously. Paul did leave a bit of a gap which Matt went for. Not much of one, and certainly not big enough for a car for a car to fit into (!), but a gap nonetheless. When he saw Matt in his mirrors he moved over to close the door and the two collided. We all know what happened then!

Anyway Paul, you were bloody quick this weekend and I look forward to seeing you notch up race win number two very soon - good going mate!
Old 6 May 2003, 15:51 (Ref:591138)   #22
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
paul was amazingly graceful about the whole incident in his comments, no one was called a plonker at all.

Perhaps some of the other drivers should take a leaf out of his book... no names...
Old 6 May 2003, 17:36 (Ref:591266)   #23
Reido Rules
Veteran

Reido Rules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sorry top Matt Neal, fans but if Chilton or Bennett made that move, we would be hearing all kinds of banger racing comments, and comments about how stupid the move was and such like. I think it was unacceptable, and should have faced a similar penalty to that Plato suffered in 2001. But hey people see Matt as the 'peoples champion' (I don't) and Plato as a ****. So in my eyes character acceptance played a big part in Matt not being hauled in front of stewards. He had no chance of getting through without hitting Paul, I've seen all the angles, and I think that Charlie Whiting most certainly would have had a penalty applied.

Rubbing might be racing, but that was desperate, poorly judged and clubby. Quite frankly if Andy Priaulx was still in that Car, I believe he'd have been further up the road, and would have won anything fairly. Matt is not as good as Thompson or Muller, and I'm pleased Vauxhall see it this way too.
Old 6 May 2003, 19:20 (Ref:591388)   #24
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Only seen the TV footage, but from that it looked like Neal hit Paul, on or close to, the inside rear wheel, not sure that constitues suffciently alongside the 'target' vehicle to be a legitimate pass.

The fact that the back of Paul's car swung out so immediately, also suggested that the rear of the car was hit.

Quite how TOCA can recocile a fine for Neal, but letting the result stand is beyond me, either you commit a punishable driving offence or you don't. To me, Neal couldn't make a clean pass and made a desperate lunge at the Vauxhall in a do or die, last corner move.

I guess rough justice was metered out in the second race with Neal's result in that.......
Old 6 May 2003, 21:11 (Ref:591572)   #25
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
Much as Matt Neal is loved by the fans, I heard a few people around me boing him.

Paul O'Neill should have won that race. I am really suprised Mr Neal has not been draged in front of the stewards.
Im with you all the way there Jones'y !!!.....

that race should have been Pauls for sure , That isnt the way Matt should be proud of by winning a race....

He went down in my estimations quite abit . Contact is good , that was blatent shoving him out the way when he couldnt make the pass . I dont think so Mr Neal it was a poor showingh .!!

Bloody good race though !...all we need now is Mike Smith and John Cleland back agian !

Last edited by Sato san; 6 May 2003 at 21:13.