Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 May 2003, 18:22 (Ref:602759)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not Montoya to McLaren?

Seriously, if Montoya wants to join a more competitive team if Williams can't get it together, why not go to McLaren to replace Coulthard? Ron already has Raikkonen, and I'm sure he would like to have Montoya as well.

So what are the chances of seeing Montoya and Raikkonen together at McLaren in 2005? It could happen couldn't it?
Old 18 May 2003, 18:34 (Ref:602771)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I could be crushed by a falling Russian satellite the next time I step outside my house. But it ain't gonna happen!

I don't think Ron Dennis has the stomach for any more adversarial drivers. If he puts Fisi or Webber in Coultard's seat, they should be able to push Raikonen, and vice-versa, but remain behaved.
Old 18 May 2003, 18:35 (Ref:602772)   #3
*formula3*
Veteran

Germany
*formula3* should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
very unlikely, don´t think that JPM is the type of driver Ron is looking for, he´s more looking for a mr nice guy...
Old 18 May 2003, 18:40 (Ref:602774)   #4
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ron is Mr corporate machine, Juan is not exactly one to play ball when it comes to the sponsors (although he was amazingly diplomatic today).
Old 18 May 2003, 18:54 (Ref:602782)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Montoya at McLaren would be a disaster, as you guys say. Ron likes his drivers to be subservient cogs in the corporate machine. Montoya would never settle for that. Plus he would been very rivalrous with Kimi, although surely he'd get on ebtter than he does with Ralf....
Old 18 May 2003, 19:43 (Ref:602813)   #6
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Montoya and McLaren would work.

JPM and Ron might get on a lot better than some of you seem to think. Senna was hardly of the Mika/Kimi/DC mould. There's no such thing as common interests, only common goals.
Old 18 May 2003, 19:57 (Ref:602819)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I agree with Raven, I reckon it could work. McLaren would give JPM a chance to go for the WDC much better than Williams can!
Old 18 May 2003, 20:03 (Ref:602821)   #8
boyzv
Rookie

boyzv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, i think it is nothing much to do with Ron's decision or not, it is about the team. Mclaren always want to have a British driver for them.

And who is the best British driver out there?

jenson button

Last edited by boyzv; 18 May 2003 at 20:04.
Old 19 May 2003, 22:19 (Ref:604024)   #9
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Juan's too hot headed for McLaren. Can you see Kimi going round screaming "You broke my head!" ??
Old 19 May 2003, 22:28 (Ref:604031)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by boyzv
Mclaren always want to have a British driver for them.
I don't think this is true. McLaren always want the best driers drving for them. If British then so be it.
Old 19 May 2003, 23:46 (Ref:604093)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
McLaren had Senna and Prost, Lauda and Prost, Senna and Berger... they want the best drivers no matter what nationality.

As for JPM, I don't see it happening. I think Williams will do anything to hold onto him until Ferrari make their approach, or, IF Ferrari make their approach.
Old 20 May 2003, 00:01 (Ref:604109)   #12
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I think that JPM is safe at Williams for a LONG time. Ralfie, however...

I still wouldn't rule out Heidfeld for McLaren at some point. He really is extraordinarily good; I've seen nothing since his title-winning F3000 campaign to dissuade me.
Old 20 May 2003, 01:25 (Ref:604153)   #13
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Ferrari would more likely go for Raikkonen as a MS replacement than JPM.
Old 20 May 2003, 01:34 (Ref:604156)   #14
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Nah, McLaren'll never let him go. Never, ever.

Juan could go to Ferrari, but unless he gets a couple more victories, or at least makes Ralf look even worse than he already has, they seat might go to Fisi, Webber, Alonso, or Massa.

What I'm wondering is whether or not Rubens will stay on once Schumacher and Byrne leave Ferrari, and following that, whether Braun will stay on, whether Todt will go onto an executive position at Ferrari, and just how good the team will actually remain. We saw how fast Benneton went downhill when these guys left. There'll be a sea change at Ferrari when Schumacher leaves, even if it's just him and Byrne (Rory doesn't seem at all interested in staying around except for Michael's insistence).
Old 20 May 2003, 01:37 (Ref:604157)   #15
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How old is Rubens? I lost track.
Old 20 May 2003, 01:43 (Ref:604159)   #16
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Nah, McLaren'll never let him go. Never, ever.
Hey Kimi do you want to drive the WDC car and get $50 million a year,or do you to stay at at Mac's?

Well Kimi you do look good in Marlboro red
Old 20 May 2003, 01:56 (Ref:604163)   #17
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Oh please, Mercedes and West will offer him just as much money. And like I said, Ferrari may not look nearly as good once Schumacher retires!
Old 20 May 2003, 17:11 (Ref:605021)   #18
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by racefanatic
How old is Rubens? I lost track.
Still a pup, as he started before he was weaned. He recently turned 30.

As for Montoya at McLaren? Never, I just don't see it-though once Schumacher retires, he could be on tap for Ferrari, (though i agree with Lee about the inevitable decline of the Scuderia once TGF retires to the Alps)

I doubt that Ron would be interested in paying Jag-U-ar for Webber's services, but is Heifeld continues to look good against Frentzen, Nick could rejoin his old teammate Kimi. Another thought re the second seat at MaCaroon: Justin Wilson.

He's young, fast, cheap, British and HUNGRY. Think aboiut it Ron....
Old 20 May 2003, 18:17 (Ref:605131)   #19
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must say it would be a very exciting driver line up it would also be fantastic for F1. Two of the fastest men in F1, racing in the same team where the support is 50/50 but there is a problem when MS retires and ferrari decide to carry on with this number one driver set up and if Montoya is on there most wanted list then I think he would jump into ferrari. Just a thought if Montoya where to go to Mclaren and join Kimi there can only be one winner which means that the records that MS has stacked up will never be beaten. Part of me would love to see Montoya at Mclaren but I would also like to see him at Ferrari as number one driver.
Old 20 May 2003, 19:41 (Ref:605212)   #20
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, Ron had Senna and Berger drive for him, and neither of them were exactly PR automations were they? I know that was a different era, but I don't see why Ron wouldn't hire Montoya. Unless of course they are building the team around Raikkonen discretly
Old 20 May 2003, 21:20 (Ref:605317)   #21
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
I doubt that Ron would be interested in paying Jag-U-ar for Webber's services,
Didn't Webber once say that he would never have anything to do with Mercades again after the Le Mans accidents a couple of years ago?
Old 20 May 2003, 22:06 (Ref:605358)   #22
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC is still there but Button rather than JPM like Kimmi he has a lot of years left!!!!!!!!
Old 20 May 2003, 22:29 (Ref:605383)   #23
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Stevespurr
rather than JPM
How old do you think JPM actually is?
Old 20 May 2003, 22:42 (Ref:605392)   #24
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Geez, if JPM is "Old" then Coulthard is ancient - along with OP, JV, Rubens and anyone else over 30. And what is JPM? 26? 27? Washed-up for sure.

I heard there is some kid down at the Parnelli Jones Pre-School who is supposed to be pretty quick...

I wish I could be as old as JPM is - again!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 20 May 2003, 22:42 (Ref:605394)   #25
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
Didn't Webber once say that he would never have anything to do with Mercades again after the Le Mans accidents a couple of years ago?
Yes, in 98. But that was a long time ago and driving for McLaren isnt the same thing as driving for Mercedes.

Tags
jpm