Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 May 2003, 00:28 (Ref:605451)   #26
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Because Ron Dennis is a cheap arse and likes his cars back in one piece.
Old 21 May 2003, 00:55 (Ref:605458)   #27
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by corkholio
Because Ron Dennis is a cheap arse and likes his cars back in one piece.
Which is why he told Kimi it was ok to wreck a few McLarens on his way to the top.

Juan would do fine at McLaren.
Old 21 May 2003, 01:23 (Ref:605474)   #28
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get Heidfeld in that car! Remember, in 2001, he outqualified, and often outraced Kimi (not to mention was as good as Alesi in 2000)! He has the experience, is quiet, cool, has already worked with Kimi before, and isn't likely to break cars, or crash into his teammate. Plus the ties with Mercedes are already there. I have said it before and I'll say it again...Heidfeld should be in a top 3 car. He must be getting quite disappointed at his fourth season in a row at a mediocre team.
Old 21 May 2003, 02:38 (Ref:605498)   #29
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hehe. Myself and DNQ are one of the few Nick fans on here.

I concur with everything above.

The only reason he HASN'T performed as well as the previous years is that he's quite disheartened at being stuck where he is PLUS the new Sauber is just a real piece of ****. Both drivers can barely get the thing to work despite the entire Ferrari rear end being on there. Yet he STILL put the car fourth on the grid in Austria...

However, if he continues to struggle then he probably won't get the ride and will be stuck in midfield mediocrity. And, like usual, considering his junior formula pedigree, that's just not fair.
Old 21 May 2003, 18:37 (Ref:606156)   #30
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hear ya, Ozman. Despite being a Coulthard fan, I'm beginning to feel that his day has passed for good and that Nick is the man for the second MaCaroon seat.

I think he could be a real to Raikkonen's dominance in the team, though neither the Finn nor the boy from Monchengladbach is long on Charisma.
Old 22 May 2003, 08:56 (Ref:606582)   #31
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
I'm beginning to feel that his day has passed for good that
did i miss 'Coulthards day', or was it just one day.
Old 22 May 2003, 10:19 (Ref:606646)   #32
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember reading once that Ron was none to pleased with the Senna/Prost antics, and thus prefers drivers with calmer dispositions.
Coulthard is still quick enough to push Raikkonen and also bring the car home in the points, so why replace him. I think it's pretty obvious that Kimi is the potential WDC of the two, but Coulthard still believes he is also and thus keeps pushing. Which I think is an admirable characteristic. He hasn't gotten slower if anything he's quicker and cagier and quite capable of taking the fight to Kimi. The team is progressing so why upset the apple kart.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 22 May 2003, 12:26 (Ref:606764)   #33
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
J.V would be better than jpm IMHO jpm fast as jpm is he would not be the top of the list again IMHO . Ralf would be a real chance as would Button & don't forget Fissi or Wurz ( he would be cheap!) .
DC has to go as much as I like him and my gut feeling on this is Ralf will fill those shoes
Old 22 May 2003, 14:10 (Ref:606892)   #34
TALAMASCA
Rookie

TALAMASCA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i rekon fisi ought to have his shot jpm is a williams driver ... and on oh of course ron had to put up with senna he was the emperor never be another GOD like him.
nick well i think he deserves the seat as well . but he can wait fisi put in a lot of time and never gotten the chance to show what he can do
Old 22 May 2003, 14:17 (Ref:606901)   #35
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recommend you never follow your gut feeling then Mark, if it's always as wrong as it is above.
Old 22 May 2003, 14:39 (Ref:606923)   #36
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I think McLaren would be crazy to take Ralf; his form at Williams recently has been inexplicably erratic, and I think, despite the race wins, he still has much to prove at the very top of F1.

Fisichella is, of course, a possibility; there were rumours that he might replace Ralf at Williams in 2004, though I suspect BMW will still want a German driver, and Williams won't want to fall out with their engine supplier over a driver's nationality (remember 1987/88?).

Heidfeld is, in my view, a very talented driver with maturity and wisdom beyond his years; he deserves a drive with McLaren, and I hope he gets one.

Montoya is clearly the future of Williams, and he revels in the no-nonsense atmosphere there; they love him and he loves them. I see no reason for him to move.

I would have marked Webber out as a hot property over whom Williams and McLaren (and Ferrari) might squabble, but that's been put off for the moment by his new deal with Jag.

The question remains: why would McLaren dump DC? Still quick, still reliable. But you get the sense - well, I do, anyway - that DC is increasingly McLaren's past, not their future. I think his shot at the title may have passed, and he's now being embarrassingly upstaged by Kimi. I think 2004 may be DC's last season with McLaren (unless he delivers the goods this year or next) and I'd expect someone else, someone younger, to be partnering Kimi in 2005.

Unless Kimi leaves, of course...
Old 22 May 2003, 14:47 (Ref:606928)   #37
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Montoya definately deserves a better car than the Williams, judging by his performance compared to TGFa, and Kimi's compared to DC. Montoya and Raikkonen would be a superb team. But, I still think he'd clash with Ron, and Mika 2 would get the better deal, just as Mika 1 did against DC at times.
Old 22 May 2003, 15:04 (Ref:606943)   #38
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well guys, I think that Wilson should go to Mclaren and take DC's place. He is English is very fast and he is proving time to time that he is fast. He is also a nice fellow good with sponsors. I would at least give him a chance for a test.
As for Williams, I think they will find their way back to the top, they allways have. Ralf I think has improved a lot in the last couple of races and is more usefull for the team than JMP. Ralf is a very analytical driver with very good technical feedback, JMP on the other hand is not very good feedback wise. As long as JMP stays there Williams needs a driver like Ralf. Maybe Ralf could be replaced by Heidfeld :-))), that would be interesting to see.
I think Ferrari will have Massa or Fisi after the Schumacher era and we can feel sorry for Fisi again. Wrong team at the right time or right team at the wrong time, his whole life is all about that.
Cheers
Old 25 May 2003, 11:45 (Ref:609378)   #39
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
well Damon its in the lastest reports from F1-live so my gut feeling must not be to far from the Mark (no pun) clearly Ralf deserves a better car after all in williams Ralf = points.
Maybe your feelings are more wrong?
Old 25 May 2003, 15:43 (Ref:609552)   #40
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Yeah, but Ralf doesn't equal prizes. Scraping around for the low points is the job of a mid-field team. Top teams want to fight for wins and with the exception of Imola, Montoya has been the only one doing that for Williams.
Old 26 May 2003, 08:54 (Ref:610215)   #41
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
some points is better than no points something jpm should learn. Ralf has scored points every round and thats why he AGAIN is beating jpm
Old 26 May 2003, 15:57 (Ref:610568)   #42
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Montoya has had no scores or low scores in 3 of the 6 races through no fault of his own (Malaysia, got taken out at the strat and still got a quicker lap than Ralf despite running around in 12th. Imola, the fuel hose problem meant he had to make an extra stop. Austria, his engine blew while leading) and with the exception of Imola, was running ahead of his team mate before bad luck struck him. Have a look below the surface Mark, although I warn you, you may find somthing you don't want to see. Results are not a guide to overall performance.
Old 26 May 2003, 15:59 (Ref:610571)   #43
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes they are Damon, that's the idea. They are a guide to overall performance.

BUT!!! 6 races out of 16 is definitelly not overall.
Old 26 May 2003, 16:22 (Ref:610602)   #44
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
They're not though are they Red? So you're saying if Schu lead every race of a season but blew up on the last lap (thus scoring no points), that his final tally would reflect how he'd performed over the course of the season?
Old 26 May 2003, 17:01 (Ref:610633)   #45
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed Damon. Testament to what you're saying, last weeks Autosport gave JPM a performance rating of 9/10, while Ralf, a woeful 5/10.
Old 27 May 2003, 00:24 (Ref:611007)   #46
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Webber
some points is better than no points something jpm should learn. Ralf has scored points every round and thats why he AGAIN is beating jpm
Well said. Pablo can blame the stars, the sun, the moon and Saddam Hussein...

At the end of the day, Ralf's made the most of a poor Williams chassis and scored points in every single race while Pablo threw away the lead in Australia due to another silly mistake and then went on a trip to the barriers in Brazil throwing away a points paying position..lost his rear wing in Sepang..was outclassed and outperformed by Ralf at Imola..

Ron Dennis and Mclaren can do a far better job that hire Pablo Montoya...especially with Kimi in the team. Ofcourse, Pablo Montoya can make an excellent number two..as he should be at Williams BMW!
Old 27 May 2003, 00:54 (Ref:611017)   #47
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Mania's signatutre
Ralf (driving a damaged Williams BMW) reflects on his on-track squabble with Montoya at Spain: "I knew I couldn't keep him behind me. So I just wanted to p*ss him off for as long as possible!"

Mania, ya sig cracks me up, but i was just thinking....

"So I just wanted to p*ss him off for as long as possible!"

Didn't last very long did it?

Last edited by Mr V; 27 May 2003 at 00:55.
Old 27 May 2003, 01:01 (Ref:611019)   #48
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mania

At the end of the day, Ralf's made the most of a poor Williams chassis (???????) and scored points in every single race while Pablo threw away the lead in Australia due to another silly mistake and then went on a trip to the barriers in Brazil throwing away a points paying position..lost his rear wing in Sepang..was outclassed and outperformed by Ralf at Imola..

Your right about throwing away the lead at Australia, however, Brazil, along with Kimi was that fastest man out there until his tyres went off, then a "silly mistake" that even a 5 times world champion made...and that included his team telling him of the danger as Montoya had gone off the previous lap. With regard to his rear wing (Maylasia)...I know your biased mania, my man, but how can you lay the blame at JPM's feet for that one? :confused: :confused: And at Austria....a race that you predictibly didn't mention, his engine blew whilst leading when was the last time that your driver got that high up the field?
Old 27 May 2003, 04:44 (Ref:611096)   #49
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
Mania, ya sig cracks me up, but i was just thinking....

"So I just wanted to p*ss him off for as long as possible!"

Didn't last very long did it?
As far as I remember, he was lapping 2-3 seconds slower at the time.
So you wouldn't expect him to keep Montoya behind him for a whole lap (without being able to defend properly), would you?
Besides, I think the team wouldn't have liked that.
Old 27 May 2003, 05:00 (Ref:611101)   #50
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Webber
I think Montoya does know by now that scoring points is important. Don't forget that he has beaten Ralf last year!

Ralf may have a little bit more points than Montoya at the moment, but that doesn't mean that he has beaten him at this point. At the moment they are 3-3 in friday qualification, 3-3 in saturday qualification, and 3-3 in race results.

We also should not forget that Ralf has not won a single race this year!
Over the last 2 years, Ralf did beat Montoya in race victories (3-1 and 1-0). That is a clear indication that Montoya's attacking strategy at that time was not effective enough.
This year however, neither Williams has won a single race. And Montoya's best result was better than Ralf's best result.

Montoya's driving style might be great, provided that:
a) it brings a lot of points (e.g. more than Ralf)
b) it brings a lot of victories (e.g. more than Ralf)
In 2001, he failed on both points.
In 2002, he succeeded on point a).
In 2003, there's a chance that he can succeed on both points.

Tags
jpm