Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 May 2003, 06:12 (Ref:614365)   #1
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
fun with Mike

Any one notice the new 'sportsracer' on Mulsanne's corner? it has cut outs on the rear lower portion of the wing (the logo that is), Just how many prototypes has he had up there? this is by my count #4. Mike can you post up the evolution of your racer?
Old 1 Jun 2003, 13:50 (Ref:616665)   #2
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
gttouring,

Frankly I've lost count! But I'm sure its been more than four. I have an evolution dating back to '98, all of it on CAD. Some day I'll post them up, had been thinking of a new section, "Arm Chair Designers".
Old 1 Jun 2003, 14:52 (Ref:616740)   #3
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd certainly be interested in that.
Old 1 Jun 2003, 14:55 (Ref:616747)   #4
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looking at it, it's about time the nose got some treatment really. Still reminds me of the early Caddy's, but the whole thing is definitely taking on a DBA4-03S look now.
Old 1 Jun 2003, 19:00 (Ref:617025)   #5
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
arm chair designer, couldn't that be merged with racing tech nolgy?
Old 1 Jun 2003, 19:14 (Ref:617038)   #6
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Actually, i think he meant on his site. but i may be wrong
Old 2 Jun 2003, 16:12 (Ref:617934)   #7
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The "Arm Chair Designers" would be great...there are probably many of us "wannabe's" out there....

I'll just keep an eye on your site (I read it all the time, anyway....really learn a lot and enjoy it!!!)....

Maybe I'll refine what "TryHard" and "Pirenzo" called "The Batmobile"...

I still think that the front-end suspension treatment with the symetrical or flat covering over the upper suspension arms is a way around the "wings" rule on a 2004 chassis to get more front downforce within the spirit of the regulations....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 2 Jun 2003, 16:44 (Ref:617985)   #8
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
isn't that ment to be "the wording of the regulations"? :P

Ed
Old 2 Jun 2003, 16:54 (Ref:618011)   #9
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Totally refined batmobile would be good.
One of mine that i haven't drawn yet, but have had flying around my head for some time is one so eerily similar in some ways to the GT-One, that i'm converting a 1/24 kit of one into it....
Old 2 Jun 2003, 17:28 (Ref:618072)   #10
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmmm... sounds great, Mike.

I'm sure that there's a few of us that may consider ourselves as a budding Tony Southgate, de Cortanze, or Adrian Newey. With the CAD software available, there's always a chance of improving upon a design or set-up that the teams & builders have.

the only thing missing is some time in the wind tunnel, unless you happen to know a friend of a friend...
Old 2 Jun 2003, 18:57 (Ref:618205)   #11
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Wait, we don't all have CAD packages! Well I don't...
i can't stand things drawn on computers as it happens (like when i had to design a school project using CAD), i hate it, i hate it, i hate it. It's all too, small, difficult, and highly unatural.
Old 2 Jun 2003, 19:20 (Ref:618247)   #12
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, the days of paper & drawing boards are a memory for most of us, and unless you have the time & patience to perfect designs on that medium you have no choice but to get modern.

that's okay pirenzo, i don't have one either...
Old 2 Jun 2003, 20:59 (Ref:618375)   #13
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
i have both time and patience, and the huge file of paper under my bed, comprising at least 50 designs (albeit mostly unfinished and/or early experiments) is a testament to that. i pride myself on my drawing and sketching...
Old 2 Jun 2003, 22:16 (Ref:618475)   #14
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Totally refined???

Don't want to make it look like an Audi

Old 2 Jun 2003, 22:40 (Ref:618503)   #15
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
This is an idea I've been kicking around for some time though I don't see implementing it for some time (perhaps this coming off season?). So keep working on your designs. And it doesn't matter if its CAD or hand drawn, I work 50-50. Often times I'll sketch something out and refine it in CAD only to print out a copy to start skethcing on the CAD drawing to then go back and refine it again on the Tube. I even started a 1/4 scale monocoque model out of eurethane foam. So it doesn't matter what media you use, as long as it works for you. Though I'm still boggled by the engineers who can't sketch or draw as it is the most basic visual communication element.
Old 3 Jun 2003, 11:18 (Ref:619030)   #16
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
could be that they are more Mathmetical Engineers than Design Engineers, they can work out the equaisonal side of a chassis/body. Be it c/d, airflow characteristics, downforce or other numbers, be it either wind tunnel or fluid dynamics as the testing medium. Let's face it, some can't even draw a stick figure and others are "math challenged", so it's always best to have a happy medium, someone who can do a little of both.
Old 3 Jun 2003, 13:39 (Ref:619172)   #17
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
My Dad was an engineer, and he had both skills...he got a lot more new projects than those in his department who were "challenged" in either skill...excellent point, veeten

Old 3 Jun 2003, 16:08 (Ref:619356)   #18
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
What Mike does seems good. I can deal with simply translating my drawings onto CAD (if i had it), and then using it to refine them properly...
But from scratch, no way.
Old 3 Jun 2003, 18:51 (Ref:619546)   #19
RM40
Racer

RM40 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just wondering, what the heck is CAD? I am currently designing my own 3D model. It reminds me of an old Group C/GTP. I hope I didn't rip it off from another car and I'm not realizing it. It should be finished in a couple weeks and then if some people want I will post some screenies. I would love to stick a screaming NA V10 or V12 in my car. Maybe take one out of a Ferrari 550/575.
Old 3 Jun 2003, 20:52 (Ref:619668)   #20
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
There's no shame in borrowing idea's RM40. Even copying whole parts "in your own words" fashion, is basically acceptable, although we'll notice it, and often laugh at it. No idea can ever be totally original, especially where cars go.

CAD=Computer Aided Design