Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Jul 2004, 02:08 (Ref:1041805)   #26
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by N I Tram

International sporting comeptition is a new-ish thing for many of the countries Eddie has pursued, but not for the US,
I have to disagree with that one. The US, when it comes to virtually every sport they really care about besides the Olympics, are about as insular a group of people you are likely to meet. Whether it's football, baseball, basketball, or NASCAR , your average American does not, and is not, going to know or care about anything that occurs outside their borders. When it comes to sport, among other things, the U.S. is virtually self-contained! Eddie would have, and probably has had, a devil of a time trying to make deals in America.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 09:51 (Ref:1041971)   #27
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Spot on Senna12. The Middle East is where the interest is.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 15:00 (Ref:1042229)   #28
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by senna12
I have to disagree with that one. The US, when it comes to virtually every sport they really care about besides the Olympics, are about as insular a group of people you are likely to meet. Whether it's football, baseball, basketball, or NASCAR , your average American does not, and is not, going to know or care about anything that occurs outside their borders. When it comes to sport, among other things, the U.S. is virtually self-contained! Eddie would have, and probably has had, a devil of a time trying to make deals in America.
You're right. While I myself hope I don't qualify as what you call an average American (I do watch F1 all the time along w/ various European touring car series, i also find myself from time to time watching a good soccer game.....just can't understand what they're saying.)

I will add that it's a matter of cultural tastes. Soccer is a great sport that demands fitness at the highest level. Much more than anything Basketball or "real" football demands. We just like action and hard hitting, physical sports and usually what you find outside the US (there are exceptions) has little of that. Please indulge me on sports i may be overlooking. On a matter of preference and what 10 sports i'd watch over others.....

1) F1 - Best sport in the world
2) Football - 2nd best sport in the world and I love my Eagles. Beating the hell out of people w/ pads on. Sept and oct are the best months as we generally get F1 in the morning followed by football coverage beginning at noon. Football and beer...can't beat that. Drives my girlfriend nuts.
3 Tennis - Ahh a british classic.
4) Baseball - Boring? Yes but a classic sport
5) CART / ALMS is a toss up
6) NASCAR is nothing else is on
7) Soccer - I'd probably watch a soccer game before hockey and definately before Basketball. Plus Mia Hamm is hot!
8) Rugby - Now that's some good ol' fashion Aussie entertainment! Beating the hell out of someone w/ out pads. Don't get it much on the old tube though.
9) Hockey if i'm in the mood. But they get to beat the hell out of people w/ wooden sticks!
10) Basketball - Wow....who made this game up?
Old 23 Jul 2004, 08:08 (Ref:1044243)   #29
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eddie Jordan has revealed that he did block a potential move by Nick Heidfeld to the BMW-Williams team but in the interest of both his driver and that of his team.

He said, "I have always maintained that I want to help Nick get a top drive and I will stay true to my word, but I also have to protect the interests of Jordan."

http://www.espnstar.com/jsp/cda/form...ewsdetail.html
Old 23 Jul 2004, 09:23 (Ref:1044298)   #30
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A few quotes from the article:

Eddie Jordan revealed that Williams were only ever interested in using the German driver as a replacement for Schumacher for the nest couple of races and were not prepared to cover Jordan's costs.

"If one of our drivers were to test elsewhere, Jordan would have had 24 hours to find a new driver and test him for three days with all the costs that would involve. All I asked Williams was for those costs to be covered," he explained.

"I never sought a profit from this, only to cover the losses we would have to repay, for example, for extra engine mileage with a new driver."

If this is the case, I think Eddie's acted perfectly reasonably, and Williams shouldn't've been quite as tight.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 09:41 (Ref:1044320)   #31
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
EJ is really the last character left in the sterile world of F1 but he is no fool. If he was he would not be there. I am sure he will have examined all his options on this one a taken the decision which best suited Jordan which is of course all he is interested in. Think Williams should have a look at their decision making processes. Two hacked of drivers and a less than perfect (Ugly ) car!
Old 23 Jul 2004, 20:14 (Ref:1045002)   #32
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
If this is the case, I think Eddie's acted perfectly reasonably, and Williams shouldn't've been quite as tight.
I agree Boots.

How can Williams expect to take Eddies #1 driver away, without compensation? There has to be something in it for Jordan.

Tough break for Nick, but understandable, considering Eddies financial situation...
Old 23 Jul 2004, 20:21 (Ref:1045013)   #33
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
GP racer that is fair enough. However Williams didn't feel Nick was worth it if they had to pay a lot of compensation. They asked, were told the price and refused. Fair enough from both Williams and Jordan. Shame for Nick I guess, but then he probably wasn't that interested in such a short deal (or just a test), as reported.

Last edited by Adam43; 23 Jul 2004 at 20:24.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 20:50 (Ref:1045047)   #34
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just realised there is a thread about this specific aspect: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...5&pagenumber=2