Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Jul 2004, 03:19 (Ref:1042792)   #1
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nick Heidfeids luck changes.

It will be announced this weekend that Nich Heidfeild has been signed to partner Mark Webber at Williams for season 05.Looks like Nicks luck is changing for the better.

The Grumpy1
Old 22 Jul 2004, 03:30 (Ref:1042797)   #2
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Source please? Good news if it's true!
Old 22 Jul 2004, 03:35 (Ref:1042798)   #3
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Although this may well be true (I hope so), can we please post rumours as rumours until they are confirmed?

A Webber/Heidfeld combination is a great line-up for Williams, and should help them in their return to the top.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 03:35 (Ref:1042799)   #4
grumpy1
Veteran

Williams
Old 22 Jul 2004, 03:36 (Ref:1042800)   #5
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I think he means a 'real' source
Old 22 Jul 2004, 03:37 (Ref:1042802)   #6
grumpy1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
Although this may well be true (I hope so), can we please post rumours as rumours until they are confirmed?

A Webber/Heidfeld combination is a great line-up for Williams, and should help them in their return to the top.
I don't post rumours.My source is from within Williams.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 04:19 (Ref:1042813)   #7
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ehmmm, according to a team insider...
Old 22 Jul 2004, 04:23 (Ref:1042814)   #8
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
..who do not wish to be named..

But to be serious, it'd be good news for nick to make that move. It's been a long wait for a competitive seat..and hopefully this would make up for his disappointment of being neglected by Mclaren.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 04:26 (Ref:1042817)   #9
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Mate, no matter how good your source may or may not be, until a team officially announces something, its a rumour. it may well be fact to you, but as far as ten-tenths forum policy goes, its a runour.

This does'nt mean I dont believe you, but surely you can understand we dont want every man and his dog that 'claims' to have a source inside a team.

Just to note a couple of things :

Quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1
the cost of getting Webber is less than Hiedfeld thanks to the clause in Webbers contract on where the team needed to be after the USGP.Expect an announcement on Webber after the British GP moving to Willie ASAP.

The Grumpy1
Hmmm, I guess you did'nt say how many days/weeks/months after the British GP.

Quote:
Marc Gene will fill the seat until at least Monza(as I stated last week).
Ooops

Quote:
OK I'm going to confirm 2 things that my source confirmed today.
1.Ralf has signed with Toyota.
2.Webber will be at Williams next year and expect an announcement on that after the USGP.
Well, he was half right

Quote:
The front runners for Marks services at the moment are Toyota and Ferrari.
Time to give that source of yours a kick in the ass
Old 22 Jul 2004, 05:55 (Ref:1042846)   #10
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Seesh...Wrex..sometimes u can be a pain in the ass

It's nice to speculate and anything can happen in F1. Adrian Newey was supposed to be heading to Jaguar until Ron steps in with a big fuss. So while i appreciate insider's story..i'd only believe it when the story's out on major websites and official press.

Isn't there "It's official" thread regarding something about dear JV by someone else too?

Last edited by Gt_R; 22 Jul 2004 at 05:56.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 06:03 (Ref:1042851)   #11
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Why ???????????????

are williams planning to be midfield again ??????
Old 22 Jul 2004, 09:04 (Ref:1042945)   #12
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

But to be serious, IMHO, Nick was deserevs to get a competitive seat.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 10:55 (Ref:1043007)   #13
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While I like Heidfeld my gut says he is not a good fit at Williams. I can't help but think he may end up like Frentzen. Webber is too strong of a driver and personality and will probably chew him up. By personality I mean someone who can deal with the 'Williams' team. They have historically liked their drivers to be aggressive types (some exceptions of course) and Heidfeld doesn't strike me as such.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 22 Jul 2004, 11:18 (Ref:1043291)   #14
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by enemy-ace
While I like Heidfeld my gut says he is not a good fit at Williams. I can't help but think he may end up like Frentzen. Webber is too strong of a driver and personality and will probably chew him up. By personality I mean someone who can deal with the 'Williams' team. They have historically liked their drivers to be aggressive types (some exceptions of course) and Heidfeld doesn't strike me as such.
While I agree w/ you that I think Webber may chew him up, i don't think it's a bad move to sign Heidfield. He beat kimi at Sauber 3 years ago and has generally consistently driven well given the car he's been given. He's currently sitting 1 point shy of Mark Webber and they've both had 5 retirements between them. Given it's tough to say the Jaguar is the better car but compared to the Jordan but it is because he's consistently finished behind Klein in the races they've finished together and we all know Nick is better than Christian. He's apparently doing something right.

In terms of agressiveness....it's hard to be agressive when your consistently quicker than the Minardi and consistently slower than the Jaguar or Toyota in front of you.

Last edited by dcp2685; 22 Jul 2004 at 11:23.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 11:35 (Ref:1043311)   #15
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even if Webber does consistently do better, if Heidfield consistently scores points to help the team win (gee..i don't know of any team that does that) the WCC then it's a good deal. How many times in the past have one or both Williams (JPM and Ralf) cars knocked each other out?

While I think a Webber/Fisi would have greater potential for success, a Webber/Heidfield pairing is not far behind. And i think either one is better than the current lineup (JPM and Ralf) from a consistency standpoint.

But we just don't know Heidfield may surprise us on just how good he is.

Last edited by dcp2685; 22 Jul 2004 at 11:36.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 11:45 (Ref:1043317)   #16
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Hungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In fairness I don't thing Enemy-Ace is necessarily talking about an agressive driving style but more how you deal with team principles
Old 22 Jul 2004, 12:18 (Ref:1043344)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Webber and Heidfeld would be a good team in my view, and ths would back up the FIsichella-to-Renault rumours. My only concern is that neither of them are the kind of guys who extract 110% from a car, and the team could get stuck in a rut as a result. I can also imagine them beign good or bad on the same weekends, unlike the JPM/Ralf pairing where at least one driver usually had a good run.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 12:42 (Ref:1043362)   #18
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I sure hope the rumour is true.

I frankly think that Heidfeld is far better than he is given credit for. I also suspect that he is shrewd enough not to repeat Frentzen's naivite. He is more experienced that Frentzen was when HHF was lured to Williams and he has spent the last year driving the pants off a dog turd run by a used car salesman. That alone is evidence of strength of character.

If the rumours are true, Williams have made a great move an I am convinced that both drivers will have sucess.This is a line up of two guys who get down to business, don't complain, who work their butts off and they are both very quick.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 13:46 (Ref:1043418)   #19
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Hungary 89
In fairness I don't thing Enemy-Ace is necessarily talking about an agressive driving style but more how you deal with team principles
Bingo!
I don't doubt Heidfelds talent behind the wheel.
F1 is a team sport though and i think Webber has the qualities that will get the team working for him. While i don't think Heidfeld can do the same. I think he may become the forgotten man at Williams. If he isn't a comfortable fit at the team that MAY lead to him being a struggling driver.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 22 Jul 2004, 13:59 (Ref:1043437)   #20
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seriously doubt any decision has been taken. I had an interesting chat with an individual in Pizzonia's camp, and they're all still very much hoping that if 'all goes to plan' they'll be putting themself in a good position for 'the seat alongside Mark next year'. Mark WILL be at WIlliams next year, it's got to be made official soon, surely!?
Old 22 Jul 2004, 14:13 (Ref:1043458)   #21
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
grumpy1 previously insisted his "source" had confirmed Webber and Davidson as Williams driver next year.

I'll believe it when I hear it from Sir Francis.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 14:43 (Ref:1043495)   #22
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
this would be the combo I would have picked Mark/ Nick is a better combo then Mark/Fissi
Old 22 Jul 2004, 14:44 (Ref:1043496)   #23
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Depends on who your "source" is, doesn't it...

Last edited by spider; 22 Jul 2004 at 14:44.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 14:46 (Ref:1043503)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Don't be source(y)
Old 22 Jul 2004, 14:47 (Ref:1043507)   #25
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If it proves true, what a turn around for Nick - almost out of F1 at the start of the season, into a top team by the end of it.