Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 Oct 2006, 09:37 (Ref:1731590)   #1
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Channel 10's "Unique" and "Amazing" Camera Views

Do you think it was a waste of time to see the front wheel of Lowndes' car all day? Or the engine of the WPS car? Or the Front wheel of Dean Canto's car? They changed to them at the most inappropriate of times and were a waste of time I reckon. I've already bagged out Channel 10, but this is more of a "helpful advice" thread.

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 8 Oct 2006, 09:41 (Ref:1731597)   #2
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I loved seeing how much stress the tyres were under.
Old 8 Oct 2006, 09:45 (Ref:1731606)   #3
Timu
Veteran

New Zealand
Waiuku, New Zealand
Timu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they are a good item to show ONCE and then after that it can be a waste of time... Unless ofcourse for example theres a blow out of a tyre etc. in which case you would show a replay.

The one I really liked was the "helmet cam" from the 888 crew member! Really gives you an insite as to what it is like as a team member during a pitstop.
Old 8 Oct 2006, 09:47 (Ref:1731613)   #4
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The one I really liked was the "helmet cam" from the 888 crew member!

Ch 7 started Helmut cam, so hopefully they will have it back and more in 07
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 8 Oct 2006, 09:51 (Ref:1731616)   #5
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR
The one I really liked was the "helmet cam" from the 888 crew member!

Ch 7 started Helmut cam, so hopefully they will have it back and more in 07
Channel 7 also started PoleCam, and that was good, let's hope they bring that back.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 8 Oct 2006, 09:54 (Ref:1731622)   #6
Nado
Racer

Australia
Melbourne VIC
Nado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's pole cam?

I quite liked the tyre views, but when they show that, they have to do it boxed and show the car in action as well.
Old 8 Oct 2006, 09:59 (Ref:1731634)   #7
woodbine
Veteran

Australia
Peterborough
woodbine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The tyre view was good but the exhaust view? Come on we all know that they get hot so what did provide?
Old 8 Oct 2006, 10:00 (Ref:1731639)   #8
Timu
Veteran

New Zealand
Waiuku, New Zealand
Timu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The could have fan cam... which is mounted into a beer drinking helmet, and follows the fan throughout the day, incuding perving at chicks that theyd never score, ordering dagwood dogs and ofcourse hurling abuse at their least favoured cars...
Old 8 Oct 2006, 10:01 (Ref:1731642)   #9
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What boggles me is something as simple as says the Lowndes pit stop, where we want to see if he gets out in front again, why can't they have a split screen effect so you can watch the stop AND see where the Kelly car is. So simple for god's sake.
Old 8 Oct 2006, 11:38 (Ref:1731770)   #10
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snout
What boggles me is something as simple as says the Lowndes pit stop, where we want to see if he gets out in front again, why can't they have a split screen effect so you can watch the stop AND see where the Kelly car is. So simple for god's sake.
Are you KIDDING me man ... this is Channel 10 we are talking about here.

6 hour race
45 minutes of actual RACING shown!!!!!

Roll on 7 - no Rust, no Woods, No Diffey, (hopefully) no stupid cameras, every pitstop and perhaps just a little bit of racing.
Old 8 Oct 2006, 12:33 (Ref:1731840)   #11
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
6 hour race
45 minutes of actual RACING shown!!!!!
What a rediculous comment.
Old 8 Oct 2006, 12:40 (Ref:1731851)   #12
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
NASCAR had the helmet pit cam about 4 years ago, lol.

What they really should have is a suspension/brake combo, like NASCAR has on short tracks, it really shows some interesting stuff.
Old 8 Oct 2006, 12:51 (Ref:1731867)   #13
deeks6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfit
What a rediculous comment.
Sorry, for accuracy's sake - 45 minutes 21.7sec

If you like, we can break down the rest for you -

Pit Stops
Helmets
Under car
Under bonnet
Techno crap
Interviews
Stricken Cars
Garages
Crowd
Tow trucks
etc
etc
etc
And lets not forget the BIG ONE - Advertisements!

... and I think "REDiculous" is a new term (possibly describing the Walkinshaw Plan).
Old 8 Oct 2006, 12:56 (Ref:1731873)   #14
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which all go together to create 7+ hours interesting coverage.
I'm sure it didn't satisfy you Deeks, but then again I sincerely doubt that ANYTHING would satisfy you.
Old 8 Oct 2006, 13:09 (Ref:1731881)   #15
deeks6
Veteran

Apologies for being a motor sport fan and wanting to see a little bit of track action ... if I want to see all the techno garbage, I'll get a dvd. If I want a clown for my kid's birthday, I'll get Greg Rust and his director.
Old 8 Oct 2006, 15:08 (Ref:1731979)   #16
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree to a certain extent, there was certainly some "new toy" factor shown with the tyre, brake & exhaust cameras. Not to mention the extended coverage many pitstops received - they are not that exciting to watch, and while important they are not the be-all and end-all of a 7hr race. Ch10 must be too used to showing 100km sprint races where a couple of extra seconds on your pitstop can lose your race.
Old 8 Oct 2006, 21:35 (Ref:1732281)   #17
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattA1
NASCAR had the helmet pit cam about 4 years ago, lol.

What they really should have is a suspension/brake combo, like NASCAR has on short tracks, it really shows some interesting stuff.

And Ch7 before them....
Old 8 Oct 2006, 22:30 (Ref:1732310)   #18
Peregrine
Racer

Australia
Emu Plains
Peregrine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6
Apologies for being a motor sport fan and wanting to see a little bit of track action ...
Perhaps you should have been at the track then deeks ? Then you could have watched the safety car trolling around all day in the lead rather than something slightly more interesting on #10.
Old 8 Oct 2006, 23:53 (Ref:1732344)   #19
deeks6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
Perhaps you should have been at the track then deeks ? Then you could have watched the safety car trolling around all day in the lead rather than something slightly more interesting on #10.
been there 20 times - and with 3 ex-wives 4 kids and Winton, P/Island and Sandown, I can't fit it into the budget anymore.

However, lets think about this from a customer viewpoint (yes, an unusual stance since we are talking about Ch 10 and V8SC) and see if we can get a win-win situation.

1. When the safety car is "trolling around", lets go to ads.
2. If the safety car period is extended, lets use all the techno rubbish thats pre-recorded or do interviews or listen to Rusts feeble attempts to explain almost anything.
3. If there is an incident, lets show it - but we do not have to watch the aftermath of the stricken car limping all the way to the pits then watch the crew examine the results with dismay then watch them put it away. THEN, suyrely we don't need to have an interview with the said driver/team as well unless there is a break in proceedings.
4. Surely pitstops can be shown in a split window - must we see EVERY single pitstop for the entire race. Must we see a closeup of the water hose and brake pads for EVERY car. Hell, seen one, seen em all, surely?
5. The crazy cameras have got to go - or at least just show them at safety car periods. Jeeze, if watching a glowing exhaust gets your interest, then Camilla Parker-Bowles would get you harder than a rock. A camera on the fence or road (a la NASCAR) to get an idea of the sheer speed is a far greater option
6. At ALL other times, ON_TRACK action should be shown - all the way down the field.
Old 9 Oct 2006, 00:24 (Ref:1732355)   #20
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
The crazy cameras have got to go - or at least just show them at safety car periods. Jeeze, if watching a glowing exhaust gets your interest, then Camilla Parker-Bowles would get you harder than a rock. A camera on the fence or road (a la NASCAR) to get an idea of the sheer speed is a far greater option
Channel 10 did have a camera on the wall (or just above it) at Reid Park, you could even see it in the long shots but they never used it...
Old 9 Oct 2006, 00:28 (Ref:1732356)   #21
twinwebbers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
twinwebbers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1. Umm thats what they did....
2. Umm thats what I saw (You must have been watching different coverage to me).
3. Don't you think its adds a bit of colour to the coverage to see how teams deal with pressure situations.
4. Same answer as point three.
5. The coverage is aimed at all sorts of people including the non-technical and while you might not have liked them they were informative to a number of people including Craig Lowdnes who got caught watching the tyre shot on the super screens while driving through the chase.
6. Umm all other times they did show on track action and all the way down the field (sometimes to my fustration when they are showing a great battle for 10,11,12 and I want to know what the leaders are doing.)

I too hope seven improve on 10 next year because the coverage will go from awsome to unbelievable.
Old 9 Oct 2006, 00:49 (Ref:1732363)   #22
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you lot are spoilt. Channel 10 do a fantastic job in the scheme of things. If you watch coverage of motorsport from other countries it is extremely poor.

Channel 10 could improve, but they are doing a great job. The new camera angles were great from the point of someone who has an interest in the technical/physics side of the sport in addition to on-track action.

The only thing that frustrated me was the number of ads and the fact that at the end of the race they decided to show Ingall and Richards instead of the leaders who were fighting for the win.

Chatters, they did use that stationary camera, you just missed it

What about the fact that they went and got the downloaded video from the TEGA camera from Perkins car? There were no ad breaks at the end (seems like a given but many broadcasters don't do this). Theres are more positives to their broadcast than negatives.

Well done TEN, too bad not all rounds could be like that.
Old 9 Oct 2006, 02:14 (Ref:1732394)   #23
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan
Chatters, they did use that stationary camera, you just missed it
My bad. Sorry folks!
Old 9 Oct 2006, 02:57 (Ref:1732416)   #24
Peregrine
Racer

Australia
Emu Plains
Peregrine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
been there 20 times - and with 3 ex-wives 4 kids and Winton, P/Island and Sandown, I can't fit it into the budget anymore.

However, lets think about this from a customer viewpoint (yes, an unusual stance since we are talking about Ch 10 and V8SC) and see if we can get a win-win situation.

1. When the safety car is "trolling around", lets go to ads.
2. If the safety car period is extended, lets use all the techno rubbish thats pre-recorded or do interviews or listen to Rusts feeble attempts to explain almost anything.
3. If there is an incident, lets show it - but we do not have to watch the aftermath of the stricken car limping all the way to the pits then watch the crew examine the results with dismay then watch them put it away. THEN, suyrely we don't need to have an interview with the said driver/team as well unless there is a break in proceedings.
4. Surely pitstops can be shown in a split window - must we see EVERY single pitstop for the entire race. Must we see a closeup of the water hose and brake pads for EVERY car. Hell, seen one, seen em all, surely?
5. The crazy cameras have got to go - or at least just show them at safety car periods. Jeeze, if watching a glowing exhaust gets your interest, then Camilla Parker-Bowles would get you harder than a rock. A camera on the fence or road (a la NASCAR) to get an idea of the sheer speed is a far greater option
6. At ALL other times, ON_TRACK action should be shown - all the way down the field.
Easy deeks, just a gentle dig I have yet to watch the telecast so will reserve my opinion until then, but I think that people are a bit spoiled these days considering the tripe that #7 used to provide us with in years gone by.
Old 9 Oct 2006, 03:04 (Ref:1732422)   #25
Nado
Racer

Australia
Melbourne VIC
Nado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So over a 7 hour race, you expect Network 10 to only show ads during safety car periods? And that's after all that techo"crap" etc as well?

I know people don't like corporations, but they need to make money as well or no one's going to bother to show the race on TV at all.