Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 May 2015, 10:44 (Ref:3540607)   #151
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive View Post
One day someone will call his bluff, and other circuits might follow, so when he's lost all the established decent circuits all he'll have left are the government funded empty standed non locally supported GPs and the advertisers will withdraw and the TV figures will drop and F1 will reduce in stature and then he'll have nothing. But will he care?
It really doesn't seem to be much of a stretch to see someone jumping in and starting a parallel series at and with the co-operation of the decent tracks.
If the racing is good, losing Bernie, CVC, Ferrari, McLaren, Williams and RBR would not be that devastating!
Old 24 May 2015, 11:40 (Ref:3540612)   #152
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive View Post
One day someone will call his bluff, and other circuits might follow, so when he's lost all the established decent circuits all he'll have left are the government funded empty standed non locally supported GPs and the advertisers will withdraw and the TV figures will drop and F1 will reduce in stature and then he'll have nothing. But will he care?
He'll probably have shuffled of the mortal coil by then, so no.
Old 24 May 2015, 17:54 (Ref:3540737)   #153
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How much more damage will he do to the sport he built up though before then?
Old 24 May 2015, 20:10 (Ref:3540805)   #154
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Great, smart multilateral relationships could be formed with many of these tracks and the surrounding communities that would be fruitful indefinitely, on the basis of a favourable fee. Track and sport could thrive taking the long view.

But Eccelstone acts like a local neighbourhood "pay up or else" gangster who might otherwise do well but prefers to lean on people because he gets a cheap thrill from being the boss. A real old style gangster - he should wear a fedora, chew a cigar and sling a tommy gun on his back just to complete the ensemble.
Old 24 May 2015, 20:53 (Ref:3540823)   #155
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes Bernie is currently trying to brow beat the Italians to pay him more $$$$$$$$$$$ for their GP and the deal does not seem to be making nuch progress.
Old 26 May 2015, 16:12 (Ref:3541440)   #156
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The real Mafia does not kowtow to the pretender?
Old 1 Jun 2015, 20:13 (Ref:3543947)   #157
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
La Presse reports that Montreal race promoter Francois Dumontier is looking to cash in some of his chips by finding a financial partner. Translation by Google (tweaked by me).

June 1, 2015
Part of the Grand Prix for sale
Vincent Brousseau-Pouliot
La Presse

Part of the Canadian Grand Prix is ​​for sale. Now that he has concluded a 10-year agreement with F1 for the presentation of the Grand Prix in Montreal, the promoter of the race Francois Dumontier has had discussions in recent months with certain companies in the province Québec as well as major US companies in the entertainment industry to accommodate new investors in his company, Octane Racing Group.

Several scenarios are considered, including the sale of a stake of up to 50% of the shares of Octane Racing Group, currently 100% owned by François Dumontier. Reportedly, at least two Quebec companies have held discussions with Octane Racing Group: Attraction Media and Stingray. The CH Group indicated to the Press that it has not had discussions about a partnership.

"I talked to several people, said François Dumontier in an interview with La Presse. I think right now we [the Octane Racing Group] have a value, and I am looking at my options as any businessman would. This is a normal process. "

"I'm one year into my new contract [10 years with F1]. As an entrepreneur, my current value is better now than it was last year or will be in five years. "

The Octane Racing Group has been the local promoter of the Canadian Grand Prix since 2010 under an agreement with Formula One Management, the company run by Bernie Ecclestone who owns the rights to the F1 Grand Prix worldwide.

Formula One Management has a separate agreement with the different levels of government, who pay $ 18.7 million per year for the presentation of the Grand Prix in Canada. The Octane Racing Group therefore organizes the race as local sponsor, does not touch subsidies and accepts some of the financial risk in accordance with its contract with Formula One Management. "It is I who take the risk," said François Dumontier, who, at 48, is the second youngest promoter in the circuit of F1.

Previous discussions

This is not the first time that François Dumontier has considered welcoming new shareholders in the company. Between 2011 and 2013, the Montreal businessman had discussions with US companies as part of the proposal for an F1 race in New Jersey. These US companies "have an interest in the Canadian Grand Prix," according to Dumontier. But the project in New Jersey fell through and Mr. Dumontier had to wait until June 2014 to renew its agreement as promoter of the Canadian Grand Prix for 10 years.

With its new 10-year agreement as a local promoter of the Canadian Grand Prix, François Dumontier has revived discussions with these large US companies in the entertainment industry to accommodate new investors in the Octane Group. He also initiated discussions with major Quebec companies.

"I have had approaches by foreign groups, said François Dumontier. In my evaluation, I pay attention to potential local partners but it could also end up with a foreign partner. "

"I am a Montrealer, I made my career on Île Notre-Dame in Montreal, the Grand Prix is ​​an institution for Montreal and we will celebrate 50 years of the F1 in Montreal in 2017. I will explore a little the possibility of a Quebec investor before looking to foreign capital. "

Reportedly, at least two Quebec companies discussed with Octane Racing Group: Attraction Media and Stingray. Attraction Media is an entertainment group that is one of the largest TV producers in Quebec, in addition to having 10 regional radio stations and an advertising production company. Stingray is a Montreal-based music distributor in Canada and abroad. Both companies have not commented on this issue, and Dumontier did not specify the identity of his interlocutors, both in Quebec and abroad.

The CH group, a major player in the Quebec entertainment industry, however, confirmed to La Presse that it had no discussions with the Octane Racing Group. "We do not have any discussions for a partnership," said Donald Beauchamp, Senior Vice President, Communications Montreal Canadiens (CH Group). In 2013, Geoff Molson, shareholder and Chairman of CH Group, met the big boss of F1 Bernie Ecclestone, according to La Presse.

If he manages to get along with new shareholders, François Dumontier however intends to keep a significant stake in the Octane Racing Group and continue to be the main leader of the company.

Searching for a Sponsor

Another issue that may influence the entry of new shareholders in the Octane Racing Group: finding a title sponsor for the Grand Prix of Canada, which it has not had since 2003 (see following). Octane Racing Group estimates the value of this sponsorship to about $ 6 million per year (the annual budget of the Grand Prize is thirty million).

Is Octane Racing Group a profitable business? The company does not disclose its financial statements. "I have not had a major sponsor for five years and yet I renewed my promoter contract states François Dumontier. As a businessman, I am satisfied with our performance and I ready for the next 10 years. "

Old 10 Jun 2016, 02:15 (Ref:3648605)   #158
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On the eve of this year's Grand Prix du Canada, the future of the race does not look bright. I wonder whether the current 10-year contract will be fulfilled.

I don't know where the city and the promoter will find the money to make the $30M+ in infrastructure improvements that are required in the current contract. The public is no mood to write another check using public funds for the benefit of F1. Race promoter Francois Dumontier needs to find a major sponsor soon, or else...

Taxpayers, start your outrage: You’re paying for the Montreal Grand Prix
Konrad Yakabuski
MONTREAL — The Globe and Mail
Thursday, Jun. 09, 2016 6:00PM EDT

...Under a 10-year deal struck in 2014 with British F1 magnate Bernie Ecclestone, governments here will pay $187-million to Mr. Ecclestone’s management company for the privilege of holding an F1 race in Montreal until 2024. Montreal also agreed to pay for upgrades to the Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve race track demanded by Mr. Ecclestone and estimated in 2014 to cost $32-million.

At the time, Canadian politicians of all stripes fell over themselves to laud the deal...

It turns out their enthusiasm was based on a major false assumption. Ottawa estimated the annual “economic spinoffs” from the Montreal Grand Prix at $70-million, but offered little in the way of data to back up that number. The Quebec government was even more bullish, estimating the economic impact at $90-million a year, without so much as a credible cost-benefit analysis to prove it.

But a new economic impact study commissioned by the governments and the event’s promoter, Octane Racing Group, pegs the event’s contribution to Canada’s gross domestic product at $42.4-million, about half the previous estimates, raising serious questions about whether cash-strapped governments should be subsidizing the leisure activities of the 1 per cent at all.

The study, conducted by Montreal research firm Ad Hoc and based on data collected during the 2015 Grand Prix, the previous estimates erred in failing to account for double counting in gross revenues and spending on imported goods and services. The result is that the $17-million governments pumped into the Grand Prix in 2015 – a sum that is to be indexed at a rate of 2 per cent a year over 10 years – generated just $8.1-million in tax revenues for Ottawa and Quebec...

Even with more credible but sobering data in hand, it’s unlikely that governments would have thought much harder about meeting Mr. Ecclestone’s conditions. The Grand Prix has taken on such iconic status in Montreal that the mere threat of losing it gives politicians anxiety attacks...

F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone slams Canadian Grand Prix over infrastructure, sponsor
By Bill BeaconThe Canadian Press
6:07 PM, Thu., June 9, 2016

MONTREAL—Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone is not impressed that no work has been done on building new paddock at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve and that the race has yet to land a major sponsor.

When a multimillion dollar deal involving three levels of government was announced in 2014 that would keep the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal until 2024, the city promised an extra $32 million for the paddock and other infrastructural improvements by 2017. That leaves one year for a lot of work to be done.

Asked if failing to get it done on time would put the event’s future in doubt, Ecclestone said “Probably the contract’s in doubt. When you have a contract, normally it’s got the terms are set out in the contract what people are supposed to do, both sides. It’s been forgotten a little bit from the city.”

“I find it difficult to understand why they haven’t managed to attract a major sponsor,” he added.

Race promoter Francois Dumontier didn’t comment on the lack of movement on infrastructure, but he is still working on finding a sponsor to make the event profitable...
Old 10 Jun 2016, 13:59 (Ref:3648716)   #159
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
An article, "Montreal shown the finger by the boss of F1," in the French language tabloid Le Journal de Montreal makes the point that F1's new sponsorship deal with Heineken may have a negative impact on the relationship between GPC promoter Dumontier and GPC beer sponsor Sleeman, the number 3 Canadian brewery.

In other words, Dumontier was maybe working to get Sleeman to become the title sponsor of the race but that Sleeman would now be much less interested in doing so because of the F1 deal with Heineken. Understandably Sleeman would not be interested in sponsoring a race where giant trackside signs all advertise Heineken.

The article states:

Comme vous l’avez lu cette semaine dans Le Journal de Montréal, l’arrivée de Heineken en F1 a coupé l’herbe sous le pied * Dumontier, dont le contrat avec Sleeman était pourtant valide pour encore trois ans.

Cette décision prive le promoteur et sa compagnie, Le Groupe de course Octane, de l’une de ses principales sources de revenus sur le site.

Translation:

As you read this week in the Journal de Montreal, the arrival of Heineken in F1 "cuts the grass under the feet" of Dumontier, whose contract with Sleeman was nevertheless valid for another three years.

This decision deprives the sponsor and his company, The Octane Racing Group, of one of its main sources of income on the site.

Which reminds of my encounters with the charming young ladies of Sleeman at last year's race.

Old 12 Jun 2016, 21:41 (Ref:3649199)   #160
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre spoke up on the day of the race about the issue of the renovations to the infrastructure of Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. The mayor is somewhat well respected in Montreal, but he is also known as a loose cannon who makes big pronouncements that don't always turn out to be true.

So I'm glad to see that the mayor supports making the renovations but I'm still not convinced that they will happen. On verra.

Coderre says deal reached with F1 to upgrade facilities at Canadian GP
The Canadian Press
Published on: June 12, 2016 | Last Updated: June 12, 2016 2:18 PM EDT

Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre says there is no rift between the city and Formula One management over improvements to Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.

Coderre said Sunday ahead of the Canadian Grand Prix that a handshake agreement has been reached between F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone and the head of the city’s executive committee Pierre Desrochers on enlarging the paddock area and other upgrades at the track...

Coderre said plans were delayed by disagreements over which installations would be permanent and other details.

There will be another deadline, but there’s a handshake and we will finalize everything by the end of July,” said Coderre...

“...We agreed on what we need to do and we will do it.”
Old 22 Jun 2016, 17:37 (Ref:3654494)   #161
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Another article that acknowledges the problems facing the Montreal race:

wheels.ca
June 18, 2016
Wheels Editor Norris McDonald is in Montreal and discovers the future of the Grand Prix du Canada is suddenly in doubt.

MONTREAL –

...I know that a year ago there was a grand announcement of a new, 10-year deal that would keep the race in Montreal through 2025. But there were several pieces of the puzzle missing when that announcement was made.

Most notable was the absence of anyone from Formula One or the FIA, which governs world motorsport. True, Bernie Ecclestone, who runs F1, issued a news release in which he said how happy he was that Canada would remain in the fold.

But the announcement of the 10-year extension was made about 25 metres away from Ecclestone’s paddock compound and it might have taken him a minute – or less – to walk over and say how pleased as punch he was in person.

But that didn’t happen and now the mayor of Montreal, Denis Coderre, who made the good-news announcement a year ago, is apparently dragging his feet on a key element of the new deal, a $33-million investment in infrastructure by 2017 that would see the F1 paddock at Circuit-Gilles Villeneuve enlarged and permanent structures constructed to include indoor plumbing to replace the current, 2016-model, outhouses.

Mr. Coderre, whose city is on the hook for the cash and the improvements, isn’t saying much. But there are no plans on file for this project (so far as anybody knows) and even if construction started next Monday, one day after this year’s race will be over, it would likely not be finished in time for next June, a key condition for the race to continue...

...Time will tell, as they say. But there are storm clouds on the horizon and the clock is ticking.
Old 23 Jun 2016, 12:54 (Ref:3654668)   #162
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The circuit is beautifully laid out in a great setting and it's one where cars can actually race each other. But Bernie doesn't care as long as he gets his next million. He doesn't even care about the sport anymore
Old 23 Jun 2016, 19:18 (Ref:3654754)   #163
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The circuit is beautifully laid out in a great setting and it's one where cars can actually race each other. But Bernie doesn't care as long as he gets his next million. He doesn't even care about the sport anymore
And he hasn't for a long time. Otherwise, F1 would be racing at the 2 circuits which are owned by his companies: Le Castellet and Istanbul Park.
The NASCAR-owned International Speedway Corporation owns many of the tracks which host NASCAR-sanctioned events in the USA. Why can't F1 run at Bernie-owned tracks? Because Bernie's business model is quite different. But then, Bernie is not CVC (or so they say) and CVC does not own these two tracks, which is where the NASCAR comparison ends.

If F1 leaving Montreal means IndyCar coming to Montreal, I'd say that would be a good enough reason for me for Montreal to let go of F1.
Old 23 Jun 2016, 19:21 (Ref:3654756)   #164
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
It really doesn't seem to be much of a stretch to see someone jumping in and starting a parallel series at and with the co-operation of the decent tracks.
If the racing is good, losing Bernie, CVC, Ferrari, McLaren, Williams and RBR would not be that devastating!
It is unlikely that the tracks would form a FOCA or FOTA type union to host a rival series to F1 because F1 is an FIA-sanctioned series, and most of them also host many other FIA-sanctioned events.

Besides, which company would build the customer chassis for a rival series anyway? ;-)
Old 24 Jun 2016, 04:43 (Ref:3654815)   #165
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
These ramblings about Montreal is happening with other F1 circuits, i.e. Interlagos. Bernie has threaten to move the Brazilian GP to Argentina (and he meant, Buenos Aires) if Interlagos couldn't afford his demands. But fact is, Argentina is not prepared for Bernie's demands, too.
Old 24 Jun 2016, 07:15 (Ref:3654836)   #166
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
It is unlikely that the tracks would form a FOCA or FOTA type union to host a rival series to F1 because F1 is an FIA-sanctioned series, and most of them also host many other FIA-sanctioned events.

Besides, which company would build the customer chassis for a rival series anyway? ;-)

The last thing we need is a rival. Anyone who disagrees, I point you to American single seater racing and you'll see what I mean
Old 24 Jun 2016, 21:04 (Ref:3654937)   #167
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The last thing we need is a rival. Anyone who disagrees, I point you to American single seater racing and you'll see what I mean
IndyCar is still recovering from the CART/IRL split. So be warned.
Old 25 Jun 2016, 20:32 (Ref:3655110)   #168
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The idea of F1 teams all agreeing on things enough to actually form a breakaway series is ridiculous. They won't be able to agree on what kind of coffee to have at the meetings, never mind anything else.
Old 29 Sep 2016, 15:02 (Ref:3675949)   #169
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
I'm not surprised that the 2017 provisional calendar has an asterisk next to the June 11 Montreal date. As I have pointed out in this thread before, Montreal has not lived up to the contract that it signed with F1 in 2014. The city signed a contract that required it to rebuild or renovate various facilities in time for the 2017 race. The city has made no progress in fulfilling this obligation.

Now Le Journal de Montreal is reporting that the cost to do the necessary upgrades is $50M CDN and not just $32.6M, which was the original estimate.

When Bernie made threats about cancelling his contract with Montreal during the 2015 race weekend, Montreal Mayor Coderre assured the public and the press that everything would be OK and that it was just a matter of getting everyone to agree on exactly what needed to be done.

However, I think the truth of the matter is that the city just does not have the money to do the upgrades and the public is not really supportive of this kind of spending.

I don't know what will happen. But if I had to guess, I think the race is safe for one more year. But if the city does not make a firm commitment to start construction of new facilities on June 12, 2017, then that could be the end of the Montreal race.
Old 29 Sep 2016, 15:09 (Ref:3675950)   #170
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHWS View Post
I'm not surprised that the 2017 provisional calendar has an asterisk next to the June 11 Montreal date. As I have pointed out in this thread before, Montreal has not lived up to the contract that it signed with F1 in 2014. The city signed a contract that required it to rebuild or renovate various facilities in time for the 2017 race. The city has made no progress in fulfilling this obligation.

Now Le Journal de Montreal is reporting that the cost to do the necessary upgrades is $50M CDN and not just $32.6M, which was the original estimate.

When Bernie made threats about cancelling his contract with Montreal during the 2015 race weekend, Montreal Mayor Coderre assured the public and the press that everything would be OK and that it was just a matter of getting everyone to agree on exactly what needed to be done.

However, I think the truth of the matter is that the city just does not have the money to do the upgrades and the public is not really supportive of this kind of spending.

I don't know what will happen. But if I had to guess, I think the race is safe for one more year. But if the city does not make a firm commitment to start construction of new facilities on June 12, 2017, then that could be the end of the Montreal race.
I presume the upgrades are to the pits complex and improving hospitality suites etc. ?
Old 2 Oct 2016, 21:44 (Ref:3676851)   #171
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I presume the upgrades are to the pits complex and improving hospitality suites etc. ?
The three ares of proposed upgrade are the paddocks (garages and team areas behind them), the race control tower, and the track medical center.

Last edited by BobHWS; 2 Oct 2016 at 22:00.
Old 2 Oct 2016, 21:55 (Ref:3676854)   #172
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
I just keep wondering how the city is going to come up with the $50M for the proposed renovations that are already overdue according to the contract for the current race deal. To make things worse the race promoter is having his own financial problems.

Walter Buchignani: Canadian Grand Prix on collision course with an asterisk
Walter Buchignani, Montreal Gazette
More from Walter Buchignani, Montreal Gazette
Published on: September 30, 2016 |

So the dreaded asterisk is back...

...the release of the tentative calendar on Wednesday only served to confirm what was already known.

To recap: In 2014, the city of Montreal, along with its tourism bureau and the provincial and federal governments, agreed to fork over a total of $187 million over 10 years for the privilege of continuing to host our Grand Prix through 2024.

That’s a relative bargain. But the deal with F1 ringmaster Bernie Ecclestone also stipulated the city carry out upgrades to Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, including paddocks, control tower and medical centre, in time for the 2017 race. The cost of those renos has been put at between $30 million and $50 million.

However, the city won’t be doing the work in time for next summer, or maybe even a few years after that. No problem, Mayor Denis Coderre has said, because he has a “handshake agreement” with Ecclestone that secures the race in the short term.

Ecclestone himself, though, sounded less than reassuring when reporters cornered him at the track during Grand Prix weekend in June and asked him whether the 2017 edition would proceed without the upgrades.

“We’ll see,” Ecclestone said...

...Oh, and let’s not forget the cash-flow problems at Groupe Octane, organizer of the Canadian Grand Prix. Promoter François Dumontier has been unsuccessful in his search for a title sponsor, and late in paying suppliers. Security firm Garda is seeking about $340,000 in court for nonpayment of services rendered.

Dumontier is also late putting tickets on sale for the 2017 race. They are still not available, even though under normal circumstances they would have been since June...

...A report in the Journal de Montréal on Friday suggested a deal between Ecclestone and the city is imminent. We’ll see. The final calendar is to be released in December.
Old 3 Oct 2016, 00:32 (Ref:3676879)   #173
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:
...A report in the Journal de Montréal on Friday suggested a deal between Ecclestone and the city is imminent. We’ll see. The final calendar is to be released in December.
Below are the key points of the article from Le Journal de Montreal (my translation with help from Google).

I'm not encouraged to read that the fate of the Montreal GP rests on a hope and a prayer that the promotion of Canadian driver Lance Stroll to the F1 ranks will attract enough additional fans to the GP to generate enough profits to make the race viable. I hope that it happens but I don't think it's likely.
  • According to the tentative agreement still to be ratified, the city will build the garages and the paddock in time for the Grand Prix of 2019. The initial 10-year contract stipulated that Montreal would build these garages for the 2017 Grand Prix.
  • There was talk of an investment of about 27 million. The sum is now estimated to be nearly 50 million. In return for exceeding the budget, Bernie Ecclestone would add two years to the current contract, ensuring the presence of the Canadian GP in Montreal until June 2026.
  • This would allow the mayor Coderre recover the investment over a greater number of years.
  • The president of the Executive Committee of Montreal, Pierre Desrochers, traveled to London to have a discussion with Bernie Ecclestone. This meeting took place at the offices of the FOM a few weeks ago.
  • François Dumontier, the promoter of the GP remains involved throughout the negotiation process. There is no guarantee that the Grand Prix will be back but if the city reaches an agreement with Ecclestone, his promoter's contract will be much stronger.
  • So what difference would an extended contract make?
  • The extended contract would theoretically allow Dumontier to attract at least 20,000 additional spectators to the race thanks to a 17 year old boy named Lance Stroll.
  • Lance is the son of Canadian billionaire Lawrence Stroll. He can get his hands on the championship of Formula 3 Saturday or Sunday. He turns 18 in late October and will hopefully make the leap to Formula 1 with Williams. My sources say the chances of seeing the wheel of a Williams in the first Grand Prix next season are 95 percent.
  • The impact of Lance Stroll will not be like that of Jacques Villeneuve when he began his career in Melbourne by winning the pole position in his first Grand Prix. Villeneuve had won the championship of the Formula Indy, a major championship at the time. In addition, he had won the Indy 500 Miles of Indianapolis and was supported by Players Tobacco chaired by Jean-Paul Blais.
  • Lance Stroll could lead to a rise in the popularity of the Grand Prix. He speaks better French than Canadian tennis player Eugenie Bouchard and is very affable. Last year, about 90 000 spectators attended the Grand Prix. Thanks to Lance Stroll, François Dumontier could attract the magic number of 110 000 spectators on Sunday afternoon. It's the difference between making money or making a deficit.
  • And in three or four years, everything indicates that Kimi Laliberté, son of Guy Laliberté, will join the super exclusive club of Formula 1. The profitability of the GP would be ensured.
  • And with Lance Stroll and aboard a Williams, TV network RDS's ratings will increase. So, interest in the Grand Prix too.
  • Nothing is officially set. Furthermore, tickets for the next Grand Prix are ​​still not for sale. Can not buy one.
  • But this time, the stars seem to line up favorably for Dumontier and Montreal. The next meeting of the World Council of Federation of motor sport will be held on 30 November. It's make or break over the next month.
  • But again, B'wana B'nie may change his mind in an hour.
  • But for now, there is hope. It is already a lot.
Old 3 Oct 2016, 00:35 (Ref:3676883)   #174
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
The three ares of proposed upgrade are the paddocks (garages and team areas behind them), the race control tower, and the track medical center.
Looking at an overhead shot of the track, there doesn't seem to be a lot of a lot of room for manoeuvre.
Old 3 Oct 2016, 08:52 (Ref:3676950)   #175
S griffin
Veteran

I hope a solution is found, it would be ridiculous to lose Canada, when you think of other circuits on the calender