Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 1 Oct 2007, 12:59 (Ref:2027875)   #26
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the shift to GT3 based machinery will reduce the costs suffciently to allow a world championship in the sense that the WTCC is a world championship, i.e. mainly europe with three flyaways. (Plus it will allow Apex to upgrade that fabulous GT3 XKR).

I reckon that Spa will become like LM - not part of the championship but worth entering a car for. If things drop off too much then they could permit the 2010 LMGTPs to enter the Spa 24.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 1 Oct 2007, 14:51 (Ref:2027959)   #27
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa survived for quite along time after it stopped being a touring car race and before the FIA - GT's picked it up. And it will do again if need be.

(What a crash fest the Spa24 would be if the Euro touring cars went back! I doubt there would be many running past the first hour)
Old 1 Oct 2007, 17:12 (Ref:2028107)   #28
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I apologise for my Britcar outburst- it just seemed so ricidculous to compare it with Spa 24h. If Spa is cut, what does the FIA GT have to attract people in?
Not actually that much- it is their biggest race in terms of entry, viewers etc.
And what would Spa do about entries? It would possibly struggle...
Old 1 Oct 2007, 21:14 (Ref:2028323)   #29
Evil Fuzzy
Rookie

Belgium
Belgium
Evil Fuzzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
Spa survived for quite along time after it stopped being a touring car race and before the FIA - GT's picked it up. And it will do again if need be.
Last touring 24hrs in 2000, first FIA GT 24hrs in 2001. Spa never was anything other than touring cars or FIA GT. Even though the 24hrs weren't part of a big championship in the final touring car years, it attracted (semi-)works teams from Peugeot, Renault and BMW amongst others. I'm not so sure the 24 hrs would survive without being part of a championship of some standing or some pretty hefty manufacturer backing. Even in the FIA GT years they had trouble finding sponsors.
Old 1 Oct 2007, 21:39 (Ref:2028351)   #30
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 24 hours was a sports car race until the 1950s, was even once part of the World Championship. Touring cars began around the 1960s.
Old 2 Oct 2007, 10:00 (Ref:2028727)   #31
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Sure would be a shame not to have the 24 hrs as the blue riband event?

As for actual entries next year can we expect any more in either GT1 or GT2 or will the doom and gloom merchnats start predicting a downturn as they did this time last year?
Old 2 Oct 2007, 10:01 (Ref:2028732)   #32
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
No, Silverstone 24h is a bag of s**t and we all know it; any "premier" race that needs that many classes is REALLY struggling.
S'funny? I thought you wanted to go see the Nurburg 24 as well next year? How many classes are in THAT???

Britcar 24 is OK, just different. One year I'll get there, when I don;t have 12 other things I have to do on the same weekend...
Old 2 Oct 2007, 15:23 (Ref:2029023)   #33
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
I think we need rules confirmation NOW or people are gonna turn their backs, with no kind of security availiable.
Old 2 Oct 2007, 22:24 (Ref:2029424)   #34
Koulle
Racer

United Kingdom
Koulle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure what to beleive about the future of the 24 hours of Spa now so I'm just going to wait until an official announcement is made.

I fully understand that the race is financially (and physically) hard on the teams but it is by far the biggest race on the calender.

I'm not convinced that dropping Spa would benefit the teams, surely it generates the most interest and sponsors?
Old 3 Oct 2007, 11:53 (Ref:2029800)   #35
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koulle
I'm not convinced that dropping Spa would benefit the teams, surely it generates the most interest and sponsors?
Hallelujah!

Someone else gets my point of view. No spa? Less sponsors, less spectator interest, less fun.
Old 7 Oct 2007, 15:46 (Ref:2034053)   #36
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With the new GT2 Corvette showing up for ALMS in 2008, is there any chance of one getting FIA-GT homologation for 2008 and showing up for FIA-GT?

DK
Old 9 Oct 2007, 10:32 (Ref:2035730)   #37
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
There was a GT2 vette in LMS;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jymp/13...7602018527181/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jymp/14...7602018527181/

What's the difference between this and the US Vette? This one seemed to have a lot of potential?
Old 9 Oct 2007, 18:14 (Ref:2036112)   #38
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

What's the difference between this and the US Vette? This one seemed to have a lot of potential?
I wondered about that Markland effort! They never seemed to be on pace with the Porsches or Ferraris and didn't seem very reliable either. Some discussions on other threads seemed to indicate that they never received/nor asked for any kind of technical assistance from Corvette! Probably could have improved their results if they did. I'm not sure who built that car, I guess it would be nice to know? I'm sure it was not Reilly as their's is a completely new effort.

DK

DK
Old 9 Oct 2007, 19:53 (Ref:2036222)   #39
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
markland had jan magnussen help with development and testing but that was all.
Old 9 Oct 2007, 21:20 (Ref:2036294)   #40
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

I to think the Markland car has great potential. But the difference is that; LGM has many years experience with building and racing Corvettes and also builds many after market performance parts for Corvettes. Riley is a very accomplished chassis builder of many different types. This effort also has the technical and facility (read wind tunnel, shaker rig etc...) support of GM and is a blessed by GM effort. In my estimation this is a great difference between the two different projects! No offense meant to Markland. Also the Markland car is a Z06 and the LGM/Riley is a C6.
L.P.

Last edited by HORNDAWG; 9 Oct 2007 at 21:29.
Old 9 Oct 2007, 21:28 (Ref:2036298)   #41
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
an oddball, then, the markland vette?
Old 9 Oct 2007, 21:48 (Ref:2036320)   #42
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
an oddball, then, the markland vette?
I do not think I would call it oddball! But it is a stand alone car. I cannot truthfully comment on the depth of resolve of the Markland effort, but I can through observation of past performances of LGM and Riley, with GM support, say with the utmost confidence that it will be a full court press effort!!

I would also put Callaway in that light!

L.P.

Last edited by HORNDAWG; 9 Oct 2007 at 21:52.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 15:35 (Ref:2037806)   #43
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Subaru_WRX_STi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
for sure BMS will return with Porsche and 2 GT3 RSR, but what about their agreement with Aston Martin Racing in GT1 ?
Old 12 Oct 2007, 07:26 (Ref:2038273)   #44
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
BMS have mentioned that they want to do the LMS with 2 997 for next year , along with Autorlando .
Old 12 Oct 2007, 08:03 (Ref:2038292)   #45
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Subaru_WRX_STi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
BMS have mentioned that they want to do the LMS with 2 997 for next year , along with Autorlando .
if BMS leave the FIA GT, which team will be the factory supported Porsche in the series ? Tech9 ? Ebimotors just like in 2006 with very poor results ?
Old 12 Oct 2007, 14:49 (Ref:2038578)   #46
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru_WRX_STi
if BMS leave the FIA GT, which team will be the factory supported Porsche in the series ? Tech9 ? Ebimotors just like in 2006 with very poor results ?
Tech9 are a bit too small, too private i reckon.
Ebimotors did very well with what was essentially a horse and cart compared to Ferrari's 430.
I'd guess Ebimotors, or perhaps Prospeed? Or of course more than 1 team, as used to vaguely happen in grp c?
Old 12 Oct 2007, 15:06 (Ref:2038588)   #47
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Tech9 are a bit too small, too private i reckon.
Ebimotors did very well with what was essentially a horse and cart compared to Ferrari's 430.
I'd guess Ebimotors, or perhaps Prospeed? Or of course more than 1 team, as used to vaguely happen in grp c?
Hmmm I don't know - Tech9 are a capable outfit, with British GT class titles to their name and some quick running this year.

After GruppeM's dominance with factory backing in 2005, I think Ebimotors didn't do justice to the 996 even against the 430's. I think in '06 a GruppeM versus AF Corse battle would have been great!
Old 12 Oct 2007, 15:14 (Ref:2038596)   #48
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
from what i hear the tech 9 porsche is going up for sale, as leo doesnt want to compeat with it anymore.
Old 12 Oct 2007, 15:22 (Ref:2038603)   #49
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
GruppeM would have been great if not for the fact that they, like basically every other Porsche 'factory' GT team, they hadn't been driven bankrupt by the effort!

This revolving doors thing that seems to occur every year when the Porsche team discovers that it didn't make as much money as it thought it would (or lost more than it thought it would) is not healthy I think.
Old 13 Oct 2007, 09:16 (Ref:2039080)   #50
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Out of curiosity, where was GruppeM based?