Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 May 2008, 09:27 (Ref:2203809)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Spalding, Lincolnshire
John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!
AMOC, Brands Hatch, 17 May, 2008

Tomorrow in other words; I had intended to post this earlier. Anyone going?

It will be interesting to see the current state of the Super GT field, a series which first saw the light of day at the AMOC Snetterton meeting last year thanks to the efforts of Stephen Archer.
Old 16 May 2008, 11:20 (Ref:2203883)   #2
Belmondo
Racer

Belmondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably not, as I'll be there next weekend. But may go along to watch the FJs. Used to love this meeting, and first went in 1985. Feature race won by John Harper in Cooper T53.
Old 16 May 2008, 13:46 (Ref:2204022)   #3
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll be attending (unless it is pouring with rain), as I have a weekend free from work commitments and nothing else planned for the first time in a long time.
Old 19 May 2008, 09:16 (Ref:2206264)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Spalding, Lincolnshire
John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!
This event always seems to be low key so I was surprised by the number of spectators that turned up for this, particularly as it was raining most of the time. I've heard it said that the racing was not particularly good but given those conditions, I think there was some very good and committed driving with some good dices. Some of those that come to mind are Marco Pullen, Arthur and Boysie Thurtle, Stephen Archer and Nicholas Ruddell but, in fact, all acquitted themselves well, with very few offs. Well done to all, and the marshals and officials that kept it running smoothly. I really enjoyed the meeting despite having to spend the evening drying out.

If I have any complaints it's about Brands itself. I still think that some of the fencing is unnecessarily high, and the proliferation of speakers beggars belief. They restrict viewing and photographing opportunities and along the Cooper Straight seem entirely superfluous given those mounted further up the spectators banking. Despite, or because of their numbers, some of the commentary was impossible to hear due to the echo although that was not necessarily a loss given the nature of some the commentary that could be heard, as much of it had little to do with the racing. It is a curious characteristic of AMOC meetings that the commentaries often give the impression that we are eavesdropping on a conversation by two or three people in a pub bar.

Pics to follow, eventually.
Old 19 May 2008, 09:39 (Ref:2206274)   #5
robert2000
Racer

England
Cambridge, UK
robert2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd have quite liked to go to this one but alas couldn't make it. Good to hear it went OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
If I have any complaints it's about Brands itself. I still think that some of the fencing is unnecessarily high, and the proliferation of speakers beggars belief. They restrict viewing and photographing opportunities and along the Cooper Straight seem entirely superfluous given those mounted further up the spectators banking.
Haven't been to Brands for a while. Are the fences still low on the inside of Druids?
Old 19 May 2008, 09:45 (Ref:2206279)   #6
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was thinking of going to this event as I've never been to one but personal appt and the rain stopped me. Looking forward to the pics, John.

I would trade PA speakers for an FM transmission anyday, but I understand the legal/broadcasting issues there.
Old 19 May 2008, 10:12 (Ref:2206300)   #7
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I enjoyed the meeting, the weather was manageable as it wasn't cold or windy, and sitting in the car with the heated seats on over lunch was enough to boost morale in time for the afternoon.

There are no catch fences on the little 'island' inside Druids.
Old 19 May 2008, 10:23 (Ref:2206311)   #8
robert2000
Racer

England
Cambridge, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus
There are no catch fences on the little 'island' inside Druids.
And they're still OK with spectators standing there? I guess I'm just worried about the possibility that the prime photo spot might have been restricted by now.
Old 19 May 2008, 10:43 (Ref:2206325)   #9
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert2000
And they're still OK with spectators standing there? I guess I'm just worried about the possibility that the prime photo spot might have been restricted by now.
Nope it's still all open for snappers
Old 19 May 2008, 10:45 (Ref:2206327)   #10
robert2000
Racer

England
Cambridge, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbryant
Nope it's still all open for snappers
Fantastic, good news
Old 19 May 2008, 10:46 (Ref:2206330)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Spalding, Lincolnshire
Yep, Trucko is right, but I didn't work as far round as that, as I was moving between the outside of the exit to Druids and Surtees where you can get a fairly clear sweep around Clark Curve. I did note a couple of spectators on the inside of the exit of Druids so looks like it's still available. How much more of the circuit do you see from there, though?
Old 19 May 2008, 10:47 (Ref:2206331)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Spalding, Lincolnshire
Beat me to it, Jon
Old 22 May 2008, 13:26 (Ref:2209057)   #13
Alan Brown
Racer

Alan Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
If I have any complaints it's about Brands itself. I still think that some of the fencing is unnecessarily high, and the proliferation of speakers beggars belief. They restrict viewing and photographing opportunities and along the Cooper Straight seem entirely superfluous given those mounted further up the spectators banking. Despite, or because of their numbers, some of the commentary was impossible to hear due to the echo although that was not necessarily a loss given the nature of some the commentary that could be heard, as much of it had little to do with the racing. It is a curious characteristic of AMOC meetings that the commentaries often give the impression that we are eavesdropping on a conversation by two or three people in a pub bar.
I hope that I have interpreted you correctly. A friend and I were both of the opinion that much of the commentary was irrelevant to the spectator, whether casual or enthusiast.

On the other hand, the PA system was better (ie louder, so there was a greater chance of hearing something whether it was useful or not) than for years.

I agree that it is difficult on the approach to Surtees to take photos because of the proliferation of poles.
Old 22 May 2008, 15:49 (Ref:2209130)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Spalding, Lincolnshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Brown
I hope that I have interpreted you correctly. A friend and I were both of the opinion that much of the commentary was irrelevant to the spectator, whether casual or enthusiast.
You have interpreted me, correctly, Alan. I was unimpressed, not for the first time at an AMOC meeting, with the commentary.
Old 23 May 2008, 21:58 (Ref:2210066)   #15
Philip Venables
Rookie

Australia
Philip Venables should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Philip Venables

Shame about the small grids- apart from FJ and Ferrari, most grids were 12 to 14 cars. I understand that AMOC have had internal problems, now largely solved. I also agree about the commentaries