Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Jul 2009, 23:39 (Ref:2501229)   #1
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ABC report on Townsville "A ROARING SUCCESS."

There has been the odd detractor to anything V8 Supercars and in particular street races. But with quotes of $25-28 million injected into the local community, fantastic organization, and crowds of 168,000 thru the gates the stories headline speaks for itself. Oh and I almost forgot... it’s a news story by ABC News, not V8 Supercars. Fantastic for Townsville and even better news for Sydney and the 500!!

http://www.bigpondsport.com/news/tab...s/default.aspx
Old 14 Jul 2009, 11:24 (Ref:2501485)   #2
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil View Post
There has been the odd detractor to anything V8 Supercars and in particular street races. But with quotes of $25-28 million injected into the local community, fantastic organization, and crowds of 168,000 thru the gates the stories headline speaks for itself. Oh and I almost forgot... it’s a news story by ABC News, not V8 Supercars. Fantastic for Townsville and even better news for Sydney and the 500!!

http://www.bigpondsport.com/news/tab...s/default.aspx

Bazil I have to admit it was a bloody good effort for a first go. There are a few issues to sort out, pit entry, the pub that shut with 15 to go of the F1, but pretty damn good.

It is more a parkland cct than a street circuit though with quite good viewing over the back of the cct.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 11:29 (Ref:2501489)   #3
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
, the pub that shut with 15 to go of the F1, but pretty damn good..
Would have more to do with licence timings I would think?

Track bridges and dunnys were nominated for improvement, what was there to entertain post race? Any concerts?
Old 14 Jul 2009, 11:54 (Ref:2501514)   #4
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmdog View Post
Would have more to do with licence timings I would think?

Track bridges and dunnys were nominated for improvement, what was there to entertain post race? Any concerts?
Yep it was a licence thing but they wouldn't even leave the bloody TV on and let us watch through the window. Nearly had a riot and about 10 coppers to calm the lads down. Mad scramble down Palmer St to find another pub. Found one with 5 to go.

Trying to cross the track was an absolute nightmare, took around 40 mins to cross from outside turn 7 into the middle after sat finished. Toilets are definitley something to be improved. Hot half strength p1ss by the end of each day also made for disgruntled fans.
A concert on Sat night which wasn't received too well by the locals with loads of swearing in the first 1/2 hour.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 12:03 (Ref:2501519)   #5
Donnaracer
Rookie

Donnaracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was an outstanding event. Hate to say it but V8 Events deserves a slap on the back. All was good, except for the loose madmen on the microphones and screens....

Talk about out of control - yelling and carrying on - over the top even when warm up laps were happening - even when nothing was happening....and so loud everywhere you went. One of them in the pits was slower....like watching paint dry.

By now V8's should have this truly sorted. But it aint.

The local radio man sounded like he was about to jump off the new bridge they built for the track - he was masturbatingly excited all the time (maybe he was), the v8 guys called it like a horse race competing for who could fit the most words into a sentence ....someone needs to tell these people when you are out there listening it sounds like mud.

Good one Townsville though - what a huge event. Needs some things like the above fixed and it will.....
Old 14 Jul 2009, 12:13 (Ref:2501529)   #6
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnaracer View Post
The local radio man sounded like he was about to jump off the new bridge they built for the track - he was masturbatingly excited all the time (maybe he was), the v8 guys called it like a horse race competing for who could fit the most words into a sentence ....someone needs to tell these people when you are out there listening it sounds like mud.

Yeah and that as well!!!!

Chris Jewel really does have a thing about Jason Richards. Two meetings in a row for me and he has been on his case at both.
Old 16 Jul 2009, 01:59 (Ref:2502550)   #7
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With all successes there are drawbacks.

This was from a Townsville local, courtesy of The Courier Mail

Quote:
Yep, don't forget the shops in the immediate area who MUST open but you can't get to them because of the road closures and detours; shopping centre car parks you can't access because they're full of cars whose owners have left them there to go to the V8's; the wonderful noise at night after the race has finished of wannabe V8 drivers doing burnouts and speeding along Woolcock St and other long, straight stretches of road; the grossly inflated prices of everything by businesses trying to take advantage of cashed-up V8 tourists. Yeah, welcome to Townsville. Please come again. NOT.
Old 16 Jul 2009, 02:30 (Ref:2502552)   #8
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
With all successes there are always some whingers
Fixed for you. I'm sure you can find similar opinions from locals at Clipsal, Indy, Homebush etc, nothing new here surely?
Old 16 Jul 2009, 02:35 (Ref:2502553)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCWB View Post
Fixed for you. I'm sure you can find similar opinions from locals at Clipsal, Indy, Homebush etc, nothing new here surely?
How are those anti-Albert Park guys going? They had a few banners and tables with protest petitions last year... is still happening?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 16 Jul 2009, 03:32 (Ref:2502559)   #10
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCWB View Post
Also locals near Amaroo Park, Oran Park, Lakeside, Sandown, Winton, Mallala, Barbagallo, Mt Panorama, the MCG, various other football grounds, horse racing tracks etc etc etc.

DRT just has to have his small moment of negativity in any positive post which he's managed to do - end result for anyone that thinks it through -
Old 16 Jul 2009, 04:10 (Ref:2502563)   #11
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
DRT just has to have his small moment of negativity in any positive post which he's managed to do - end result for anyone that thinks it through
You Left out Eastern Creek.. now that is extremely disruptive.
Old 16 Jul 2009, 06:12 (Ref:2502571)   #12
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you still here...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
With all successes there are drawbacks.

This was from a Townsville local, courtesy of The Courier Mail
Seriously, I bet when you were a kid they hung a lamb chop around your neck so at least the local dog would play with you....
Old 16 Jul 2009, 06:42 (Ref:2502578)   #13
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
How are those anti-Albert Park guys going?
We've got one of those groups here, too. Their name? Better Uses for Reid Park, or BURP. Seriously!

I wonder if they thought it was actually clever to compare themselves to a load of hot air!
Old 16 Jul 2009, 08:44 (Ref:2502630)   #14
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
William, what did you think of the event?
Old 16 Jul 2009, 11:47 (Ref:2502712)   #15
banksie
Racer

Australia
Victoria
banksie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
How are those anti-Albert Park guys going? They had a few banners and tables with protest petitions last year... is still happening?
They are still going. They don't want to realise that Albert Park has never been in better condition, gets used by people...
Old 20 Jul 2009, 13:09 (Ref:2504842)   #16
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test View Post
William, what did you think of the event?
Honestly, I thought it was great. The circuit layout was much better than I expected, and the sight-lines for spectators where I was (outside the turn 7-8-9 complex) were fantastic. Whether you believe the numbers or not, the circuit was a seriously busy place over the weekend. The areas that I could see - the mounds on the entry and inside of T7, the stands around that complex, and the grandstands on pit straight - were absolutely packed for both V8 races.

Agreed that more spectator bridges are needed. To get from where I was to the paddock entry was a 15-minute walk in either direction. Toilet facilities didn't seem to be undersubscribed where I was; they were only really busy on a couple of occasions in the afternoon on the Saturday and Sunday. Stories from elsewhere around the circuit might be different. Can't really comment on the costs of things there as I was volunteering and got a complimentary lunch each day.

There wasn't really any dead time, there was always something happening on the track or in the air, but I think the support categories could have been chosen better. Bump the Minis off the programme and replace it with something like, oh, I don't know, the Biante series or maybe Improved Production (one can dream...).

I've yet to come across anyone who said they weren't coming back...
Old 20 Jul 2009, 13:13 (Ref:2504846)   #17
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dale Jr View Post
Bump the Minis off the programme and replace it with something like, oh, I don't know, the Biante series or maybe Improved Production (one can dream...).

+1
Old 21 Jul 2009, 01:04 (Ref:2505177)   #18
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan View Post
You Left out Eastern Creek.. now that is extremely disruptive.
Especially when its booked 365 days a year