Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 2 Jan 2016, 10:31 (Ref:3601570)   #26
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Got any pics?
Old 2 Jan 2016, 10:58 (Ref:3601572)   #27
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brooklands - New Year's Day

Can confirm that there were some very nice cars there, but an awful lot of very uninspiring stuff. Their definition of "classic" left something to be desired as there were some virtually brand new cars coming in the main entrance which they had to close because it got so full - hence Joe being outside. I think that we must have been one of the last cars in as we were parked right at the end of the banking, and that was with us arriving at just after 10.00.

But the Cisitalia was particularly sweet, and the pre-war section was interesting as always.

Stayed dry until we left and by the time we got to the A3 it was raining and did so all the way home.......in an open XK120.

We got wet.
Old 2 Jan 2016, 11:50 (Ref:3601577)   #28
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
It did come down some after lunch. Despite a new screen rubber, and an industrial dose of 'screen sealant' the Cortina screen still drips a little on both sides.

I've decided after 27 years of Cortina ownership its a design feature. There's a reason they put plugs in the floor! given it drips evenly from both side, the must at least be reasonably well balanced. Never the less, we cruised home at 70, wipers working well, Arthur even had a power nap in the back.
Old 2 Jan 2016, 17:37 (Ref:3601619)   #29
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Got any pics?
Courtesy of a poster(David Harbey?) on the AROC forum - I see what is meant by MX5s.....:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwh38/...7662370407289/
Old 2 Jan 2016, 17:44 (Ref:3601622)   #30
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Not likely to be doing dryathlon, but will be trying to reduce the intake - had two dry days since returning from Tenerife on Boxing Day - to try to offset the somewhat over-limit intake whilst there

A friend, who some who know the rallying world may know, Bill Honeywell, is doing an ambitious scheme : "Aiming to climb 542 Lake District hills in 2016 and raise funds for Cancer Research UK. Members of the group have agreed to donate 10p to CRUK for each completed top at the end of the Challenge. New members are always welcome - simply contact Bill Honeywell - or any group member - we'll do the rest and you'll be helping the cause of Cancer Research (CRUK)."

The group he refers to is a facebook group - and as I've agreed to sponsor him I'm a member - happy to give more details if anyone is interested.
Old 2 Jan 2016, 18:34 (Ref:3601629)   #31
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Woo hoo good day today up at 5 am to check on progress of the Piper . Back to watch Reading win and United won as well . There you go Bauble that's enough to wind you up .😃
Old 2 Jan 2016, 19:41 (Ref:3601640)   #32
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Woo hoo good day today up at 5 am to check on progress of the Piper . Back to watch Reading win and United won as well . There you go Bauble that's enough to wind you up .😃
Canaries won as well, if that helps......
Old 2 Jan 2016, 20:05 (Ref:3601641)   #33
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be making a half hearted attempt at a dry January. I've just finished the last glass of RAC claret which a non-petrolhead neighbour thoughtfully dropped off before Xmas so have started later than I should have but it wouldn't have kept. My dry January is due to expire on Burn's night, I have special dispensation
Old 3 Jan 2016, 00:53 (Ref:3601678)   #34
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I wonder how much money you would have to put on at the bookies to win any money on what record is played at Lemmy's funeral ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 3 Jan 2016, 07:29 (Ref:3601720)   #35
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Lemmy- now there's a man who led the life of a true rock legend! RIP.

I'd forgotten that he was in Hawkwind originally, and only got to sing lead on Silver Machine as the other group members couldn't get to the high notes!

Old 3 Jan 2016, 09:06 (Ref:3601728)   #36
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

I'd forgotten that he was in Hawkwind originally, and only got to sing lead on Silver Machine as the other group members couldn't get to the high notes!

Well, I didn't know that! A track I often played in my (Silver) Viva...
Old 3 Jan 2016, 09:40 (Ref:3601730)   #37
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I heard on the radio last week that he could not play the guitar very well when he was with hawk wind . ??
Old 3 Jan 2016, 09:53 (Ref:3601734)   #38
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

This thread is not starting the New Year at all well, football (the most corrupt sport on earth) and the death of some weird bloke from an even weirder band!

Wound up, Iain???

I'm fit to burst!!!

I'm going to put on my Jerry lee Lewis LP and watch a DVD of Marco Pantani winning the 1998 Tour de France, and hope to recover my equilibrium before lunch.

I wonder if there is a knitting forum ....................?
Old 3 Jan 2016, 09:58 (Ref:3601736)   #39
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post

I wonder if there is a knitting forum ....................?
I think this will be more up your street Bob
Old 3 Jan 2016, 10:52 (Ref:3601749)   #40
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I think this will be more up your street Bob
You could well be right Tim, thanks for the suggestion, I was quite worried that you might have been directing me to some Old Age Pensioners site ..........

Oh I'm already on this one.
Old 3 Jan 2016, 11:04 (Ref:3601752)   #41
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

Hawkwind - now there's a name that many recognise but I can't recall any of their songs from memory.

Went to see them once in a pub somewhere near Epping. '69 or '70 I would guess. I recall trying to negotiate the use of the family car for the evening. I don't recall whether I succeeded although I have no idea how I would have got there if not.

The wonders of the Internet - someone has created a web site with a record of gigs played. The Wakes Arms in November '70 - would fit my recollection, although I don't recall it being November.

Oddly I had a vague recollection of geographic location and looked up the possibilities on Google maps before searching for a list of gigs. Picked a possible spot, zoomed in using street view and found myself looking at the Wake Arms roundabout. The pub seems to have become an eaterie of some sort.

So many changes and it's only 45 years ago! No time at all .... I remember it like, well, er, like it was 45 years ago. Hardly at all! Heck, it was a dark November night (maybe). I could have been anywhere ....

Old 3 Jan 2016, 11:11 (Ref:3601754)   #42
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
I heard on the radio last week that he could not play the guitar very well when he was with hawkwind . ??

By his own admission, according to an old interview. He had only just joined Hawkwind when Silver Machine was due to be recorded, and the other members had to reluctantly let the 'new boy' sing lead, as he had a better range than anyone else!

Always worth listening to any interviews he did, he told it like it was....

Tim- Very good link!
Old 3 Jan 2016, 12:17 (Ref:3601763)   #43
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Marco Pantani! The Pirate! Although as most of us remember him Another Drugged Up Cheat.

I think the Tours of the 80s and 90s should be allowed to rest in peace. Cycling was not a happy place. Definitely not a Lighter Side, Bauble.
Old 3 Jan 2016, 14:51 (Ref:3601805)   #44
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Just before Christmas I bought "the professional drivers diary". Its blooming complicated. This was prompted by a fellow trucker coming back from Portimao last year getting a 1700 euro fine for not having one.
Old 3 Jan 2016, 15:10 (Ref:3601808)   #45
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Gulp!!!. I have just read in the book that the Dover Calais crossing are not allowed to be used as rest period. There are no bunks or couchette. Think they have them on the new big ferries now.
Old 3 Jan 2016, 15:28 (Ref:3601812)   #46
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Just to add a bit of "mirth" to the beginning of the year in this very strange world we find ourselves living in today, I found this (not photoshopped) photo about wildlife on the internet today
Attached Thumbnails
Fox.jpg  
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 3 Jan 2016, 16:28 (Ref:3601823)   #47
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Marco Pantani! The Pirate! Although as most of us remember him Another Drugged Up Cheat.

I think the Tours of the 80s and 90s should be allowed to rest in peace. Cycling was not a happy place. Definitely not a Lighter Side, Bauble.
I do not recall Marco was ever proved to be taking drugs, and in 1998, when he won, the Tour was hounded by the police and testing authorities with many teams and individuals kicked out. As the leader, and stage winners were tested everyday the chances of him being caught were extremely high, but he always proved clean. I always thought that he was destroyed by criminal elements who wagered on cycling results, and died a drug addict, but not a drug cheat, he was just a sublime mountain climber, and an extremely intelligent rider. He also always honoured his opponents, and never tried to detract from their efforts unlike some American .......!

Pantani was no Lance Armstrong who was scum.

Now let us not fall out over one of my heroes.
Old 3 Jan 2016, 16:32 (Ref:3601824)   #48
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My hero has already been discredited - it appears the whole man jack of them in those days were as bad as each other.
Old 3 Jan 2016, 16:36 (Ref:3601825)   #49
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Just before Christmas I bought "the professional drivers diary". Its blooming complicated. This was prompted by a fellow trucker coming back from Portimao last year getting a 1700 euro fine for not having one.
I'd never heard of it, just had to Google it. Why is it law abroad, have they not heard of a driver's card that goes in the tacho head? You can get all the info on the rules here Iain.
Myself and another driver got a bit caught out the other day, we got stuck waiting to tip and we both went over the six hour work rule. He then asked if he should put his tacho on break before he went home, not much point though and we'd both had 10-15 minute breaks while waiting anyway so we were both OK as far as I could see from the rules.
Old 3 Jan 2016, 16:39 (Ref:3601827)   #50
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Just to add a bit of "mirth" to the beginning of the year in this very strange world we find ourselves living in today, I found this (not photoshopped) photo about wildlife on the internet today
There's quite a few good pictures of that type doing the rounds on FB Gordon.
Closed Thread