Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 20 Mar 2023, 20:44 (Ref:4148538)   #1
Bill38
Rookie

Bill38 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WEC 2024

The FIA has said in the past that the 2024 WEC Sebring race may not happen. This past weekend when the FIA big wigs were here, were there any further discussions on this subject?
Old 20 Mar 2023, 20:53 (Ref:4148543)   #2
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nothing official, but the general consensous is indeed a move away from Sebring. I think it's been known for a while that 2023 was the last one. The FIA have hinted at not wanting two major enduros over the same weekend, but I suspect it's more a case of $$$ and maybe Indy paying them more for a potential race from next year.

The calendar will be announced in June IIRC.
Old 21 Mar 2023, 11:44 (Ref:4148641)   #3
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I suspect its because of "give me money".

So 2024 calendar will be;

- Bahrain
- Dubai
- Abu Dhabi
- China
- Bahrain
- Dubai
- Abu Dhabi
- China
- Bahrain
- Dubai
- Abu Dhabi
- China
Old 21 Mar 2023, 12:03 (Ref:4148644)   #4
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You forgot Qatar
Old 21 Mar 2023, 12:04 (Ref:4148645)   #5
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Scratch China, even F1 can't make that work.

But start in Abu Dhabi/Bahrain and end at the other would not at all surprise me. Could even see Prologue and AsLMS finale on the same weekend. But does feel like Indy would be tried to be forced in there, scheduling would be near impossible though in reality with the Spa/LM combo
Old 21 Mar 2023, 12:34 (Ref:4148652)   #6
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From a freight perspective it will boil down to could the cars run the Prologue and race in Qatar, and then get sent over in time for running at Sebring? How early would the season need to start in order for that to happen?

I just don't think those sums add up unfortunately even without the financial lure of other circuits. But as others have said I think the biggest issue is egos. I think it's pretty clear what the fans would choose.
Old 21 Mar 2023, 13:36 (Ref:4148665)   #7
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We could do a poll on it. Then completely ignore the results.
Old 21 Mar 2023, 13:51 (Ref:4148667)   #8
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Typical WEC/ACO to not wanting to say anything about it while it's a public secret there won't be another Super Sebring. Ever since the initial idea of running the WEC race on Sunday was vetoed, you had the feeling they were looking for a way out. Squeezing a world championship round into a well established event simply didn't work (and neither would it work somewhere else).

Indy will be the new CotA, perhaps with better attendance but it will still look mediocre compared to Sebring.

Glad I got to do all 4 appearances @ Sebring but won't be sad to see the series move on. Bring back the Historics for the 12H!
Old 21 Mar 2023, 16:24 (Ref:4148686)   #9
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't blame the WEC for not wanting to be 2nd billing to a major endurance race and doubly so when having to race on a Friday. Unfortunately I think any other standalone venue is probably not going to be well attended and won't look like a major event.

I wish they could figure out how to just make the 12 hour be part of the world championship. But despite convergence, there is too much divergence in rules BOP and other factors to combine the races. And I don't think either party was happy with the result of the 2012 12 hour. IMSA would have to give up the 12 hour for the WEC to take it over and that's never going to happen. It's a shame really, but I understand it.
Old 21 Mar 2023, 17:28 (Ref:4148690)   #10
Steve McQ
Racer

France
Steve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSteve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSteve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The WEC can go to Sebring later in the year and produce a brilliant (and quite hot) 8 or 9 hours race
Old 21 Mar 2023, 23:44 (Ref:4148743)   #11
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The American round for the WEC should be Petit Le Mans in Road Atlanta.
This was the founding race of the ALMS in 1998, with that legendary flight of the 911 GT1, and the victory of the Risi 333SP.
Could be a great combined IMSA and WEC race with just GTP and Hypercar, in 2024 the WEC should have 20 or 22 Hypercars and IMSA 13 or 15 GTP, which gives us a total of 33 or 37 first class cars, Road Atlanta is a short track, no more cars are needed, this would be a unique and great race, with only one first class.
Old 22 Mar 2023, 00:18 (Ref:4148744)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
… in 2024 the WEC should have 20 or 22 Hypercars and IMSA 13 or 15 GTP, which gives us a total of 33 or 37 first class cars, ...
Old 22 Mar 2023, 00:55 (Ref:4148745)   #13
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
WEC 2024

6 Porsche 963 (this is the porsche objetive 8 car customer)
2 Ferrari
2 Toyota
3 Peugeot (Pescarolo)
1 Cadillac
1 Glikenhaus
1 Vanwall
2 WRT BMW
2 Alpine
1 Lambo
1 Isotta Franchini
1 De Tomaso P72 V12? (This is the car that I look forward to with a lot of passion)
1 Andreti Acura/Honda ?

IMSA 2024

6 Porsche
2 or 3? Cadillacs
2 Acura
2 BMW
1 Lambo
1 Risi Ferrari?

what Am I forgetting something or are these the programs?
Old 22 Mar 2023, 02:11 (Ref:4148748)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It would be nice
Old 22 Mar 2023, 10:39 (Ref:4148774)   #15
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think I'm the only one who's not a huge fan of the double-header. It does somehow seem to be less than the sum of its parts: it's bizarre having a race on a week day for the WEC, and it's meant I've missed the start of the first race of the season whenever it's been held there because I've been at work.

Then the 12 hours comes and I kind of feel like I'm already fatiguing a little bit from watching the WEC the day before.

I'm sure it's an incredible event to go to if you're there, but if we're doing double-headers, I'd rather it was at a new event with a Saturday/Sunday format.

As for Middle Eastern rounds, I see them as a necessary evil. The unforgivable aspect is the lack of a UK round.
Old 22 Mar 2023, 13:17 (Ref:4148788)   #16
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
I think I'm the only one who's not a huge fan of the double-header. It does somehow seem to be less than the sum of its parts: it's bizarre having a race on a week day for the WEC, and it's meant I've missed the start of the first race of the season whenever it's been held there because I've been at work.

Then the 12 hours comes and I kind of feel like I'm already fatiguing a little bit from watching the WEC the day before.

I'm sure it's an incredible event to go to if you're there, but if we're doing double-headers, I'd rather it was at a new event with a Saturday/Sunday format.

As for Middle Eastern rounds, I see them as a necessary evil. The unforgivable aspect is the lack of a UK round.
I actually didn't watch any of the 12 Hours. Partly because I only would have made it to the first caution period parade but mostly because I needed a break.

A double header with shorter races maybe?
Old 22 Mar 2023, 13:33 (Ref:4148790)   #17
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
WEC 2024

6 Porsche 963 (this is the porsche objetive 8 car customer)
2 Ferrari
2 Toyota
3 Peugeot (Pescarolo)
1 Cadillac
1 Glikenhaus
1 Vanwall
2 WRT BMW
2 Alpine
1 Lambo
1 Isotta Franchini
1 De Tomaso P72 V12? (This is the car that I look forward to with a lot of passion)
1 Andreti Acura/Honda ?

IMSA 2024

6 Porsche
2 or 3? Cadillacs
2 Acura
2 BMW
1 Lambo
1 Risi Ferrari?

what Am I forgetting something or are these the programs?

I think you are VERY VERY optimistic with 12 total Porsche running, I would say 8 is more likely. 2 Caddy in IMSA over 3 with their money spread across the 3 combined. Risi seems unlikely for a full season in IMSA.

Think Glickenhaus is done, likely 2 more races and in to our memories only. DeTomaso seems unlikely as well, want Isotta to be real and enter but could get shafted by WEC for numbers. Andretti promises a lot and under delivers, not counting that car until I see it, and likely at the expensive of MSR.

Never mind that taking Petit from the GT teams would NEVER fly, it's not going to be discussed EVER. Forget that idea in its entirety, better chance of Glickenhaus being entered in the rest of the IMSA season then that.
Old 22 Mar 2023, 14:43 (Ref:4148798)   #18
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Enter Indy.

Quote:
Why? Are there any major British manufacturers involved, especially in the top category? And out of all the British tracks, Silverstone adds the least entertainment to the schedule. Then again, we all know FIA's fetish for Grade 1 tracks.

Going by my self proclaimed logic, Germany would be the better pick with Porsche (and soon BMW) involved with the series. Plus if you're okay with Silverstone then the Nürburgring GP course won't bother you either.

Reality is, we don't have either. Just more races in the sand traps. Big money talks, big time.
Old 22 Mar 2023, 14:48 (Ref:4148800)   #19
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
JT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The American round for the WEC should be Petit Le Mans in Road Atlanta.
This was the founding race of the ALMS in 1998, with that legendary flight of the 911 GT1, and the victory of the Risi 333SP.
Could be a great combined IMSA and WEC race with just GTP and Hypercar, in 2024 the WEC should have 20 or 22 Hypercars and IMSA 13 or 15 GTP, which gives us a total of 33 or 37 first class cars, Road Atlanta is a short track, no more cars are needed, this would be a unique and great race, with only one first class.
The Petit has always been and will always be a multi class race. Combining GTP and WEC would not exclude the GT classes under any circumstances. Having the other classes entered ADDS to the lure of the Petit. Your vision of "unique and great" is not the same as most others.
Old 22 Mar 2023, 14:53 (Ref:4148801)   #20
Gilles27Kimi7
Rookie

Gilles27Kimi7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Enter Indy.
Why? Are there any major British manufacturers involved, especially in the top category? And out of all the British tracks, Silverstone adds the least entertainment to the schedule. Then again, we all know FIA's fetish for Grade 1 tracks.

Going by my self proclaimed logic, Germany would be the better pick with Porsche (and soon BMW) involved with the series. Plus if you're okay with Silverstone then the Nürburgring GP course won't bother you either.

Reality is, we don't have either. Just more races in the sand traps. Big money talks, big time.
It's not a fetish since we literally had a race on one of the worst grade 2 tracks in the world (under some aspects), it's just that there are literally no other circuits in the UK that can host the 40-odd paddock of WEC and have a good race outside of Silverstone.
And I don't remember the 6h being a bad race ever, but I think people have an unreasonable hate bone for that track, maybe lack of good GA and pricey options, who knows.
Old 22 Mar 2023, 16:08 (Ref:4148807)   #21
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good discussion. I'm personally meh on Silverstone. I think the layout is ok (not great not terrible) and from afar the place is so big that even with a decent crowd there doesn't seem like much ambiance. Personally I think Brands Hatch GP circuit would be much more interesting but it's probably too tight to run a field of 35 multi class cars with prototypes.

Regarding the States, it has to be near the beginning or near the end of the season as the summer is clearly based around Europe. I think that also makes Indy difficult due to weather early/late in the year. We're starting in Qatar, the idea has to be that Qatar Airlines helps with air shipping cars to the next event. The question is where? COTA in late March could work. Road Atlanta could potentially work but I agree with 0 chance of WEC taking over Petit LeMans.
Old 22 Mar 2023, 16:46 (Ref:4148810)   #22
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Donington would be better than Silverstone, but thats grade 2.
Old 22 Mar 2023, 17:19 (Ref:4148815)   #23
Coach Ep
Veteran

I would love to see Donington instead of Silverstone.
Old 22 Mar 2023, 19:26 (Ref:4148831)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
I actually didn't watch any of the 12 Hours. Partly because I only would have made it to the first caution period parade but mostly because I needed a break.

A double header with shorter races maybe?
It is absolutely incredible for people who are there. There are a lot of people who are there. Proper commitment from them too.

This volume could well be the same magnitude as those who watch online or on telly. So it should be considered in that light.

Not keen on shorter races either. The people are there because these are proper races.
Old 22 Mar 2023, 20:28 (Ref:4148841)   #25
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
JT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach233 View Post
Good discussion. I'm personally meh on Silverstone. I think the layout is ok (not great not terrible) and from afar the place is so big that even with a decent crowd there doesn't seem like much ambiance. Personally I think Brands Hatch GP circuit would be much more interesting but it's probably too tight to run a field of 35 multi class cars with prototypes.

Regarding the States, it has to be near the beginning or near the end of the season as the summer is clearly based around Europe. I think that also makes Indy difficult due to weather early/late in the year. We're starting in Qatar, the idea has to be that Qatar Airlines helps with air shipping cars to the next event. The question is where? COTA in late March could work. Road Atlanta could potentially work but I agree with 0 chance of WEC taking over Petit LeMans.
How about sending the WEC to Barber in Alabama?