Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 9 Jan 2018, 12:29 (Ref:3791522)   #151
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Hope not going to offend any Historic tenthers, but..... According to a poll by Dave (the Dave), the ‘rudest’ drivers on the road are to be found behind the wheel of their M3. Second were Range Rover steerers, then Audi TT pilots. White van man only ranked 5th!

The sort of poll / survey that asks more questions about how it was carried out, rather than providing meaningful answers...
Old 9 Jan 2018, 12:38 (Ref:3791526)   #152
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Hope not going to offend any Historic tenthers, but..... According to a poll by Dave (the Dave), the ‘rudest’ drivers on the road are to be found behind the wheel of their M3. Second were Range Rover steerers, then Audi TT pilots. White van man only ranked 5th!

The sort of poll / survey that asks more questions about how it was carried out, rather than providing meaningful answers...
Interesting. As I am fast approaching 65 I find myself pottering along these days and sticking to speed limits. I do find its the van drivers that tend to tailgate me more than any of the others.
Old 9 Jan 2018, 12:55 (Ref:3791532)   #153
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Interesting. As I am fast approaching 65 I find myself pottering along these days and sticking to speed limits. I do find its the van drivers that tend to tailgate me more than any of the others.
I decided it was a good idea to go faster once over 65 as there's less of a lifetime left to get to the destination!

There are serious moves here to reduce the speed limit on non-autoroutes from 90 to 80km/h. It's not popular but the New Year hike in fuel prices might have the same effect.

Don't actually see many BMW's in this neck of the woods so can't possibly comment on the poll! Presumably yet another bit of nonsense conducted on behalf of an insurance company or some such?
Old 9 Jan 2018, 13:05 (Ref:3791533)   #154
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Spending several years driving my truck round Europe at a max of 90kph has slowed me down when driving a car! Now allow more time, factor in breaks rather than try to reach destination in one hit, and more or (even) less obey speed limits. And agree with your last comment, especially courier/parcel delivery vans......
Old 9 Jan 2018, 14:30 (Ref:3791542)   #155
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Should you change the color of the vans from white to dark brown, they become #1 ! We call them "Oups Parcel Delivery"!
When a kid after a long trip I loved hearing my father when saying " X kilometers in Y hours, who can say better?". Now after the same trip to Bretagne, we like to compare our mpg…
Old 9 Jan 2018, 14:47 (Ref:3791553)   #156
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Should you change the color of the vans from white to dark brown, they become #1 ! We call them "Oups Parcel Delivery"!
When a kid after a long trip I loved hearing my father when saying " X kilometers in Y hours, who can say better?". Now after the same trip to Bretagne, we like to compare our mpg…
There is a delivery company round here called 'Rush', which seems very apt.
Old 9 Jan 2018, 18:01 (Ref:3791587)   #157
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Jean, le diable se cache dans les détails … When a delivery van arrives and you see a complete wreck with a total mess inside do you think your parcel can receive a good treatment? An often the driver's attitude sticks to the whole picture. Paris area has so much inconvenience but the great majority of the jobs are around. We try to survive more than we live.
Old 9 Jan 2018, 18:19 (Ref:3791591)   #158
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Jean, le diable se cache dans les détails … When a delivery van arrives and you see a complete wreck with a total mess inside do you think your parcel can receive a good treatment? An often the driver's attitude sticks to the whole picture. Paris area has so much inconvenience but the great majority of the jobs are around. We try to survive more than we live.
I can't say I have had any problems with deliveries, not that I get many. The Rush vans are very smart in a black & yellow livery.

The DHL driver delivering my new passport did drive past my house (very quickly) several times before I managed to phone him & direct him. He cheerily left with "I'll know where to find you next time". Of course, that won't be for another nine years...
Old 9 Jan 2018, 19:22 (Ref:3791605)   #159
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Hmm I'd better not sit alongside Mrs MM in her TT in case I get tarred with her brush!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 9 Jan 2018, 19:57 (Ref:3791612)   #160
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Hmm I'd better not sit alongside Mrs MM in her TT in case I get tarred with her brush!
I’m sure there are exceptions..... Oh, hang on- I owned a TT back in 2001!
Old 9 Jan 2018, 22:05 (Ref:3791623)   #161
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
It's rare to find any roads along which one can do other than potter along these days.

Well, except for the A50 coming off J24 of the M1 towards Derby where in recent times the DC 70 limit has often been unattainable due to 2 rows of vehicles pootliig along at 40 to 50 most times of the day. Once in a while a clear run can make for an interesting long left hander.

With construction work around locality the entire section, for probably very good reasons though not quite yet I suspect, has had a 40 limit slapped on it. The safest slow speed at which I feel comfortable is now 50 as all sorts of vehicles flash past at considerably higher speeds.

I'm not too uncomfortable with their speeds on the stretch of road but for 2 factors.

Firstly, any incidents will result in snarled up traffic for miles around.

Secondly the volume of traffic using both the main road and a rather blind T-Junction joining the road on a bend have both increased in recent times. The potential for something nasty happening is quite high IMO.

It's not helped by the probability that many of the people using that may well have spent anything up to several hours attempting to negotiate the the hell that is M1 J23/24/25. The temptation to "stretch ones legs" a little is far too great after that chaos.
Old 9 Jan 2018, 22:08 (Ref:3791624)   #162
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I’m sure there are exceptions..... Oh, hang on- I owned a TT back in 2001!
And you are now a BMW driver Mike.

And you own something related to White Van family of vehicles.

Clearly the poll respondees were thinking of you as they answered the questions ....
Old 10 Jan 2018, 07:28 (Ref:3791670)   #163
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
From experience so far most normal BMW owners have no idea that my car was made by the same company..... The Vito is usually mistaken for an airport taxi, which could be useful at some point!

Apparently the early TT is now regarded a modern classic, so that should escape being tarred with the same brush as the later versions. I wonder if any of the very early ones escaped the worldwide recall to have the handling made less ‘sporting’, and the rear spoiler added.......
Old 10 Jan 2018, 15:20 (Ref:3791739)   #164
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently there is a readily available sticker for Audi TT,s , which states that

" No hairdressing tools are left in this vehicle overnight ".

Not that I am inferring that all TT drivers come into that category !!!!!!!
Old 10 Jan 2018, 15:25 (Ref:3791740)   #165
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
Apparently there is a readily available sticker for Audi TT,s , which states that

" No hairdressing tools are left in this vehicle overnight ".

Not that I am inferring that all TT drivers come into that category !!!!!!!
Very funny 911, I love it. Does the TT only come in pink?
Old 10 Jan 2018, 16:38 (Ref:3791754)   #166
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Happens to a lot of cars initially introduced and sold as ‘sporting’. Eventually they become the choice of many sectors of the population who have little interest in any ‘sporting’ ability. That’s when I used to sell them and look for something else!

TT, S3, Cooper S, Golf R, Boxster and Z4 immediately spring to mind. Perhaps not the Z4.....
Old 10 Jan 2018, 17:08 (Ref:3791764)   #167
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Very funny 911, I love it. Does the TT only come in pink?
Lady next door has a blue TT .
And she [ really ] has a hairdressing business .

PS . was going to say she has a blue one , but then thought it might lead to some smutty innuendo .
Old 10 Jan 2018, 17:24 (Ref:3791767)   #168
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Lady next door has a blue TT .
And she [ really ] has a hairdressing business .

PS . was going to say she has a blue one , but then thought it might lead to some smutty innuendo .

Spoil sport.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 17:36 (Ref:3791771)   #169
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:
[/B]

Spoil sport.
Well, I was a bit worried about you getting too excited Bauble .

I thought you might start asking what does it look like , & does she get it out when it is wet , or what colour is it inside .
Old 10 Jan 2018, 18:58 (Ref:3791797)   #170
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Well, I was a bit worried about you getting too excited Bauble .

I thought you might start asking what does it look like , & does she get it out when it is wet , or what colour is it inside .
Wow! That's got my imagination working overtime.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 19:26 (Ref:3791802)   #171
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Wow! That's got my imagination working overtime.
I thought it was a description of your old boiler!
Old 10 Jan 2018, 21:33 (Ref:3791839)   #172
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I thought it was a description of your old boiler!
That's no way to talk about his wife!
Old 11 Jan 2018, 09:06 (Ref:3791922)   #173
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Exactly my thoughts, but I know that Elwin chap from of old.
Old 11 Jan 2018, 09:23 (Ref:3791923)   #174
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
How could you say such a thing, Mike - the thought had never entered my head.
Old 11 Jan 2018, 12:28 (Ref:3791999)   #175
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Going back to the Liverpool car park fire, in which it’s suggested 1400 cars were destroyed, according to CCW this week a pristine 1965 V8 Mustang notchback was amongst them. Fingers crossed the owner had a decent classic insurance policy in place.......