Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Oct 2001, 09:42 (Ref:167315)   #1
davebreen
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
davebreen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mclaren switch to Michelin

Looks like we will have the two top teams on different tyres next season. Hopefully the McLaren boys will provide a better showing than the season just gone!
Old 30 Oct 2001, 09:45 (Ref:167317)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
McLaren switch to Michelin tyres

From Autosport:

McLaren-Mercedes has announced that it will switch from Bridgestone to Michelin tyres for 2002. The deal, predicted in AUTOSPORT magazine (September 6), means that the French company has boosted its level of competitiveness with a second top team to join Williams-BMW, which won four Grands Prix on Michelins this year.

I saw this on www.autosport.com

So it has finally happened! Is this what McLaren need to get back on terms with Ferrari?

How will it effect the tyre war. Michelin now have two good teams developing their tyres. Is this good (more development) or bad (more conflicts between which way to go)?

Oh yes, and well done autosport! If I remember rightly they also have predicted that McLaren might not change!
Old 30 Oct 2001, 09:47 (Ref:167318)   #3
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
More bad news for Williams?
Old 30 Oct 2001, 12:12 (Ref:167363)   #4
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the contrary, I think having two top teams running on the Michelins can only help development of the tires. I think Michelin will cater to both teams equally this coming year. Maybe if one team becomes CLEARLY dominant will we possibly see a lean in their team preference.
Old 30 Oct 2001, 12:25 (Ref:167374)   #5
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As long as Michelin have the upper hand in tyre developement, they would supply both teams equally. However, if a situation arise as like this year, when Michelin was better at the start of the season, and Bridgestone have to focus more on one team towards the middle of the season, you can be sure Michelin would exercise preferential treatment too.

Remember...Renault's on Michelins too... i think Bridgestone should grab the opportunity to do well~
Old 30 Oct 2001, 12:38 (Ref:167376)   #6
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It could be bad news for Williams in a much more basic way.

Among the Michelin 2001 runners Williams had no peers. So any circuit that favoured the Michelins was "theirs".

In the races that they won in 2001 they were clearly ahead on tyre performance - and now there will be another top-flight team enjoying the same margin in performance (at those circuits which favour the Michelin tyre) and taking points away from them.

Mclaren recognise that they had difficulty taking points from Ferrari when the tyres were equal, but presumably feel more confident of taking points from Williams on an equal tyre footing.
Old 30 Oct 2001, 13:02 (Ref:167389)   #7
Glen
Veteran

Just thought of another point.

With Mclaren and Ferrari at opposing tyre suppliers I'd have thought we're much more likely to see more complaints and appeals flying back and forth.
Old 30 Oct 2001, 15:15 (Ref:167424)   #8
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
More bad news for Williams?
They would certainly be bad news for Williams if Michelin decides to do a "lets make Ferrari a champion at any cost" Bridgestone did on McLaren....LOL

Bad news for Ferrari and Bernie. They cannot manipulate the result of the races using Bridgestone as an excuse....LOL

Hopefully this will bring back the real Schumacher. The one that has to fight for his victories instead of just waiting for them to come his way.
Old 30 Oct 2001, 15:30 (Ref:167429)   #9
Glen
Veteran

Quote:
Hopefully this will bring back the real Schumacher. The one that has to fight for his victories instead of just waiting for them to come his way.
Second that, but only in so much as fiercer competition and more excitement are always welcome. BUT - are you seriously suggesting that MS is complacent!! Don't be so daft.
Old 30 Oct 2001, 16:19 (Ref:167434)   #10
BBKing
Veteran

Complacent is not the best word. Sulky is a better one. Obviously I am not going to call you names for disagreeing with me but in my view, Brazil, Spain, Austria, Silverstone, Monza, and Indy are not examples of commitment “a la Schumacher” that I am used to.

Only real competition is going to bring the best out of him. Since divine law forbids competition from inside the team then we just have to hope for competition from another team. That is if you are really watching F1 for the excitement of great races instead of just a pile of hollow victories.
Old 30 Oct 2001, 16:38 (Ref:167441)   #11
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Geez...Sulky? Maybe i can give you Malaysia and Suzuka, 2 races at different ends of the calander to show you that commitment is still within the plan? Complacent? i don't think so. Sulky? Nope... Arrogant? Nah...
I prefer to call this "Confidence"

And i think there are a few points to get straight.

In Spain, he encountered problems which lost him speed. Mika got ahead of Michael, and Michael had NO WAY of putting on a fight (unless he wants to risk retirement) and since the next chap is far behind...i think simple logic tells you, slow down and make sure.

In Austria, we all know what happen. He fought with JPM for position, things got ruined when the Williams betrayed JPM, and Michael who dropped down several places got going and fought his way back right behind David and Rubens...doesn't seem very much like

Silverstone...Damn..that's a bad one from Ferrari/MS. THEY HAD NO INTENTION ON WINNING THAT RACE! geez... and with it comes a pathetic race strategy that makes racing wheel-to-wheel a distant dream.

I agree with you that it would be more interesting to see a fight for a win, but i have no doubt Michael still have potentials in reserve to put up a fight when called upon. And we see that occasionally when Michael puts up a huge show of dominace (ie Suzuka quals/race, Hungary GP, Malaysian GP) We have seen it in 99, the dip in Mika's/Mclaren's performance when Michael is not there... that's complacency...but it's hard for a team/driver to give 100% at every race knowing well that 70% of the effort will see you beat your rival`

Old 30 Oct 2001, 17:37 (Ref:167464)   #12
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't this a thread about tires?
Old 30 Oct 2001, 19:52 (Ref:167543)   #13
BBKing
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by enemy-ace
What are you saying? That I turned another topic into a Schumacher bashing carnival? ...LOL

I just say that hopefully Ferrari will have some descent challenge next season. Not like this year. A walk in the park considering the enormous difference in performance and reliability for Ferrari. To the point of making Schumacher sulky in some many races and still winning the championship so early on.
Old 30 Oct 2001, 20:44 (Ref:167580)   #14
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Will there be illegal tires next year, and whats going to happen to the slicks?
Old 30 Oct 2001, 20:54 (Ref:167588)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by enemy-ace
Everytime you see a post of BBKing followed by a GT_R's... no matter what the topic was...
Old 30 Oct 2001, 23:07 (Ref:167682)   #16
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ouch! Great news for Ferrari.
This must have popped a couple of champagnes in Italy.

As for the Maccas, well they had to cut a decision and they weren't going to profit either way, so this is Ronnie's bet for the longest straw I guess.

Does anyone know if BAR and Jordan will be sticking to the same supplier btw?

Last edited by Dino IV; 30 Oct 2001 at 23:08.
Old 31 Oct 2001, 01:31 (Ref:167756)   #17
Gt_R
Veteran

Not only is it a topic of tyres...it's a topic of MCLAREN's tyres...

So back to it, i think Mclaren's decision to go to Michelins would see lots more of sparks and accusations from Ron Dennis ("Ooh, Ferrari are using rounder wheels..." ) and v/v. There would be one more aspect for which the top teams doubt each other, and although illegal tyres are not exactly on the schedule, the tyre manufacturers would push the legality to the absolute limit.
Old 31 Oct 2001, 04:00 (Ref:167773)   #18
BBKing
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
So back to it, i think Mclaren's decision to go to Michelins would see lots more of sparks and accusations from Ron Dennis ("Ooh, Ferrari are using rounder wheels..." ) and v/v. There would be one more aspect for which the top teams doubt each other, and although illegal tyres are not exactly on the schedule, the tyre manufacturers would push the legality to the absolute limit.
By the same token the three tenors in F1 (Schumacher, Brawn and Todt) will be singing the inferior tires song louder than “O Sole Mio” if they are beaten by Williams or McLaren…..LOL
Old 31 Oct 2001, 05:15 (Ref:167780)   #19
Gt_R
Veteran

Hah...don't worry BBK~ I know you would not hestitate to pull in the Ferrari squad to the squabble, so i already included them for you by saying there would be accusations from Mclaren about Ferrari and vice versa in the prev post~...

Oh...surprising isnt it...that you talk about Schumacher, Ross and Todt, yet din't point out that Montoya joined the trio at the choir dedicating his songs to Michelin~

I guess it isnt THAT surprising afterall~

Old 31 Oct 2001, 05:52 (Ref:167783)   #20
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Strange how everyone so far in this thread has forgotten all about the French Factory team - Renault. I would not be the least bit surprised if Renault finished ahead of McLaren next year.
Old 31 Oct 2001, 08:41 (Ref:167804)   #21
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This really was the only alternative for Mclaren as there was no future staying with the same tyre suppliers as Ferrari.
Old 31 Oct 2001, 11:06 (Ref:167840)   #22
Gt_R
Veteran

That other alternative doesnt really give much improvement. If Ferrari performs as it did this year, and Mclaren could not match William's performance/ or williams couldnt match Mclaren...you'd be sure team preference would come into play. To think that preferential treamtment it is a situation unique to Ferrari is naive to say the least~
Old 31 Oct 2001, 15:31 (Ref:167924)   #23
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never underestimate the Newey. Never underestimate his ability to produce a pants wettingly fine car. Remeber about ten months ago when the MP-whatever-it-is was launched?? We were all DROOLING over it. We all said it would blow everyone into the weeds... it didn't, but that's not the point. It WAS a fine car, just awkward to set up. What I'm trying to say is don't right off the Maccas. Unfortunatley.
Old 31 Oct 2001, 15:42 (Ref:167931)   #24
Gt_R
Veteran

I remember 10 month ago, Newey insisted that this year's car would form the base for the next 3 years, meaning next year's car is a developement of it, just like 2000 and 1999 being based on 98... is that a good sign? Would Ron decide to change his mind?
Old 31 Oct 2001, 18:37 (Ref:168003)   #25
BBKing
Veteran

Newey took too much credit for what happened in 98. It was more a case of a great Mercedes engine. Something Ferrari realized then and tried to use Beryllium and after failing asked FIA to ban it.

Newey has on his records many crappy cars like the Williams 94. This year's McLaren is not the first one. The real question is how good Mercedes is going to be next year. That is what is going the determine how good Mclaren will be. Newey is good but not as good as people make him out to be.

Going back to the tires. I think McLaren was let down since 2000. Why would Bridgestone provide only one type of tires in Japan if it was not to help Ferrari. Specially if those tires would force all the teams to use the same pit stop strategy

If Michelin does not give a good treatment to McLaren they could be the first team to use Goodyear in 2003. Goodyear might have been out of F1 but they have experience in grooved tires.