Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 11 Mar 2001, 18:42 (Ref:70140)   #1
rafaelshumy
Rookie

rafaelshumy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must admit after reading previous posted messages that Formula 3 will never be pushed down by any other formula. It is a fact that Formula 3 is an obligatory formula in which any aspiring F1 drivers has to go through...
But one must keep in mind (Gideon won't argue with me on this point) that FPA represented the best preparation for higher formulas. I myself tested an FPA in the hope of competing in the full 2001 championship until it was cancelled, and I have to say it is a very challenging car to drive.
By comparing F3 races and FPA races one must admit that FPA realy reflects driver talent whilst F3 hides them... a sad fact that will never change.
Jonathan Palmer had the right idea in creating FPA but I asume he under etimated F3's popularity. One good example for this is that Keer and Jouanny who were in FPA in 2000 "graduated" to F3 rather than going onto F3000; thus showing the pre concieved idea that F3 IS the real launching pad for aspiring F1 racers. I am myself turning towards F3 as it is the series in which one will be noticed if he delivers. But again, a drivers performance greatly depends on the team... a problem one wouldn't have in FPA. This is why FPA was so attractive.
I talked to engeneers when I did my FPA test and we greatly discused aerodynamic package on the FPA cars... they are very much similar to F3000: in other words very tricky as the driver must fight with the car to point it's nose in the right direction. In contrast F3's aerodynamic package is much "better" in the way that the driver will have no problems in directing the car's nose... thus being a bad preparation for F3000.
Therefore I suspect that most F3 drivers are looking for test drives in F1 teams rather than going into F3000 which is much more challenging: e.g: they are looking for the easy way out. But who is going to blame them?maybe its the right choice?
Anyhow its a great shame that the full FPA championship will not be any longer. Hopefully the winter series will still take place as I uspect I will try to compete in this before going into F3.
It'll be interesting to see how Keer and Jouanny get on in F3: I'm sure they'll do extremely well as FPA will have given them something that no other driver will get in any other formula... transparency of evaluation, thus showing them where they realy stand in respect to other drivers. Therefore they know that they have what it takes to perform well... in any case if they do badly they can still blame the team...
Old 11 Mar 2001, 19:06 (Ref:70147)   #2
FEUsmart
Racer

FEUsmart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Welcome along, Raphael!

Well said about FPA. A lot of people in this country are very critical of FPA, and it seems to me that it's mostly people like yourself and Gideon, who have experienced FPA from the inside, that saw the true value of it.

It's very easy to knock a series, but what most people don't see is the professionalism behind the scenes. What F3 team can offer it's drivers a quick blast around their own test track on any given day?

What you say about the similarity of the FPA cars to F3000 cars sounds very true to me. I know nothing of aerodynamics, or technical stuff like that, but it certainly appeared that Justin Wilson was far better prepared for F3000 than the top F3 runners from around the world who graduated at the same times as him.

Best of luck in your career!
Old 12 Mar 2001, 19:35 (Ref:70534)   #3
rafaelshumy
Rookie

rafaelshumy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi thanks for your support!
I have just learned that Jonathan Plamer will not run a winter series this year, so I am going to have to find sponsorship for the club series... Anyhow I am sure this will be good preparation for Formula3!
Gideon and I are going to stuggle now that FPA is not a formula in which to launch aspiring F1 drivers... F3 is so expensive its going to be very difficult indeed.
But we will not stop working hard on the sponsorship! and sooner or later it will pay off... As we say: " talent is not enough... pounds are essential!"